xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AbdurahmanL

Woman Grows 6 Foot Long Zuchinni!

Seriously, how can it grow that long! That's amazing! She just kept growing and touching it, and it kept getting longer and harder, until it became 6 feet long!

Heres the news story from New York Daily News http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It would make one hell of a salad.A Queens woman has taken homegrown fruits and vegetables to a whole new level by cultivating a 6-foot-long zucchini in her backyard.
Green-fingered Apollonia Castitlione grew the giant Long Italian zucchini during the warm summer months using nothing more than fertilizer, water and a little TLC.
"I've had my vegetable garden for 26 years, but I never saw anything so spectacular," said Castitlione, who's 5 feet tall. "I didn't put Miracle Grow on it, nothing, just a little bit of 5-10-5 fertilizer, water and my time."
Castitlione, 48, said she noticed the giant fruit was growing longer than usual last month when it suddenly shot up a couple of inches in as many days.
She then went on vacation to Boston for the weekend and returned to find it had shot up another 1.5 inches.
At last count, the zucchini was just over 6 feet - nearly 2 feet shy of the world-record 7-foot, 10-inch zucchini grown in India three years ago.
"There's no secret, I guess it was just luck," said Castitlione, who lives in Glendale, Queens.
"I went to look at it one day and was like, 'It's a little long,' then a few days later, I said, 'Oh, my God, what's this?'
"I was so in shock, I grow them every year, but never more than about 4feet.
"I decided I wasn't going to touch it and just let it grow."
She said several friends gave her zucchini seeds, but she doesn't know who gave her the special one.
The home-care worker also grows tomatoes and string beans but says this fruit will not be making its way to her dinner plate anytime soon.
"I'm going to save it and use the seeds for next year," she said.
"It's getting hard, so wouldn't be good to eat anymore and it's starting to grow very slowly.
"It's still hanging off the vine and I'm watering it.
"It's so straight, it's so perfect. Usually, some are really crooked."

Notice from jlhaslip:
quote tags added

Hahaha that's really cool...I love zucchini and I've grown a lot before but they're never that long and skinny, probably because I grow mine on the ground. If you keep letting them grow, they get to about three feet long and about four to five inches in diameter... A six foot zucchini...that's amazing.

Wow, thats amazing, 6 foot! How come the report says she's in 'shock' when she was the one growing it? That makes no sense, she must of realised this zucchini was bigger then the normal.

Seriously, how can it grow that long! That's amazing! She just kept growing and touching it, and it kept getting longer and harder, until it became 6 feet long!

I think you should add the word zucchini in there somewhere, people may get the wrong idea of what your talking about.

How cool!But I bet all her neighboors hide behind locked doors if they see her coming, if she grew one zuchinni that big, imagine what a huge crop she must of had besides that monster squash! I still have a box full of zuchinni on a chair in the kitchen, full of the big hard yellow ones, they keep for a long time when they get that big.

How cool!But I bet all her neighboors hide behind locked doors if they see her coming, if she grew one zuchinni that big, imagine what a huge crop she must of had besides that monster squash! I still have a box full of zuchinni on a chair in the kitchen, full of the big hard yellow ones, they keep for a long time when they get that big.

i dont know what is zuchinni? what is that really? a kind of cucumber? is that sweet? or bitter? how to eat that? raw or cook?

Crickey.

That is amazing. I don't understand how these huge vegetables and fruits are grown! :)