xisto Community
HyBriD54

Some Questions On Html

I was just curious on how people here learned HTML or XML (assuming you did, which, judging by the fact you are actually here on this board). How long did it take for you to learn the basics of HTML? How proficient are you right now in HTML? Which resources did you use when you were learning HTML (or are currently learning HTML?). How did you find learning HTML?Thanks.

I been learning HTML on and off for years. I still cant remember all tags off my heart because I never use them all and I still cant distinguish certain tags + properties from version to version. Basically I only remember what I use. I only started to understand the DOM model recently when working with JavaScript. I think you have to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript in parallel because they complement each other for doing most common task required by a web page or site.Learning the basic's of HTML was fairly easy but once you want to start implementing some of your more exciting ideas it becomes a little harder and requires a bit more knowledge to pull off. I would suggest learning these 3 core elements HTML, CSS, JavaScript and understanding the coding standards that come along with them. There's many ways to write something but it might not be the best and correct way of doing it.I hope that helps Sone.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I was just curious on how people here learned HTML or XML (assuming you did, which, judging by the fact you are actually here on this board). How long did it take for you to learn the basics of HTML? How proficient are you right now in HTML? Which resources did you use when you were learning HTML (or are currently learning HTML?). How did you find learning HTML?

Thanks.

HTML is a very easy and nice language to learn! I Have been learning HTML for a while but at the moment I'm leaning PHP.

When I was learning I went to http://www.w3schools.com/ I found them really ausome. It deppends on how keen you are on learning and how much time you have to learn it.

Even though HTML is simple it can be very effective when you know how to use it properly.

Good luck in learning,

Jesse

I first learned the original HTML like 5 years ago. I didn't 'really' learn it as it (for me) was considered more as a 'if I got nothing else to do, I'll learn HTML' thing... I learned it by viewing the source-code of websites (primarily a C&C: Red Alert fansite), but I eventually got 'into' it and until about a year ago, I started to learn XHTML... It changed my coding practices immediately...Now I'm still learning XHTML1.0 Strict (Though, I'm slowly 'migrating' to XHTML 1.1). I've always wanted to learn XML but never understood how XSL worked (heard its like CSS, but to me, its like comparing English to Assembly)I'm learning CSS which is a great help on my current phpBB3 style project (Which I do NOT intend on releasing)...I just cannot learn all the CSS/XHTML tags by heart, there are just too many of them... And if I don't understand a tag, I will search it up on Google or W3Schools (W3Schools helped me a lot in learning XHTML1.0Strict). The thing with HTML, you shouldn't learn it... You should learn XHTML but even XHTML on its own doesn't do much... Just like 'Sonesay' said, also learn CSS and if you want to/have time learn Javascript AND PHP... Learning things just by reading books and memorising tags is nothing. To REALLY learn, you shouldn't rely on books, instead, right click and view source and see what the tags do. With PHP download some open-source PHP scripts and see how they've done it... etc...Good Luck on Learning X/HTML (If you are going to learn it) :)

HTML is the easiest of all to learn. Fairly forgiving compaired to say CSS also. If you want to learn it, the best way is to use a simple editor, and your windows OP. Right click on a web page then click View source. There you can see the basics. that is unless the page is locked up so you can not do this. You can also download many good HTML editors that are free or have a Trial offer, such as dreamweaver.But if you will follow these steps you will learn it, and maybe even lear other ways Good Luck to ya

There's isn't much learning to do in terms of HTML...once you understand how it works, you can just look up the specific commands you need online. It's pointless to sit and memorize everything. I learned it almost ten years ago, using the site http://www.htmlgoodies.com/. I think the site is still around, but now I'd probably turn to w3schools.com or the like. In any case, you should learn it online rather than a book since it's free that way and you can copy/paste code snippets more easily.

No point in using Dreamweaver...Just get Notepad++ there's nothing bad about it... It is better than Dreamweaver. In fact, I have totally decommissioned Dreamweaver, I don't need to anymore after I found Notepad ++...@moutonoir The thing is, if you do that, you wouldn't know what tags to use in the first place. I mean, if you keep only to one site that uses tables, you would get really good with tables and leave out <div>s entirely (which is what I did... :) )So... yeah...

No point in using Dreamweaver...
Just get Notepad++ there's nothing bad about it... It is better than Dreamweaver. In fact, I have totally decommissioned Dreamweaver, I don't need to anymore after I found Notepad ++...

@moutonoir The thing is, if you do that, you wouldn't know what tags to use in the first place. I mean, if you keep only to one site that uses tables, you would get really good with tables and leave out <div>s entirely (which is what I did... :lol: )

So... yeah...

i second notepad++ for the best windows editor but when im on a linux box i love gedit... only reason i would use something else is if i was using a WYSIWYG editor (which i dont use anyway)
another editor i have heard alot about is pspad but i prefer notepad++

How long did it take for you to learn the basics of HTML?

It didn't take me too long. Although it depends what level of HTML your reffering to. Im not too sure how long it took me to learn and memorised the basics asit was some time ago.. probably a month or so.

How proficient are you right now in HTML?

Im building my website using alot of the HTML codes I have learnt. So Im fairly proficient.

Which resources did you use when you were learning HTML (or are currently learning HTML?)

I used vaious Tutorials. One I think is great to start with is Emblas. Her Tutorials are simple and easy to follow. From there, practise using the codes. Fiddle with them andsee what works and what doesn't. Once you learn to read HTML its much easier.

How did you find learning HTML?

I found HTML great. It was simple to follow and it works very well for me now. Im starting to learn bits of PHP to make my site a little more complex.

To test your HTML save it on somthing as simple as Notepad (On Windows). Instead of saving yourdocument as '.txt' save it as '.html'. Then you can view it in your internet browse by clicking 'File' then 'Open' then browse for your file and open.

If you ever get stuck with HTML, search tones of keywords of it on Google. Google always helps :)

I learn HTML within a very very short time. HTML is that much easy. I have been using it for 4 years. I learned it when I was in my graduation. At first, I thought it was a very difficult language when I look at some sample code. Because those lessthan(<) and greater than(>) symbols and words in between them appeared confusing to me. But when I wrote my first program, all my doubts vanished. Only one thought in my mind...Easy...Easy and Easy. I had never seen any language this much easy.Now, with my experience with HTML, I think I am very proficient at this language. Happy with my knowledge with it.Of course, updating our knowledge is important in every field, but it is must in computer filed. So, I am still learning it and its new developments. To learn html, I completely depended on internet. I Downloaded many ebooks from internet and started my learning.My journey with html is really really cool. It never troubled me. :)