xisto Community
MichaelA8

Calling All Authors! A spot for writers of all markets and genres

WELCOME!First, let's get this out of the way: If you would like to read or post samples, please visit our neighboring forum. OK? OK. This is a gathering for us to discuss the craft, and business alike. It's for support, encouragement, and yes, venting. Share your experience, exchange thoughts, ask questions, network. Are you quering agents? Considering a contract offer from a publisher? Did you just ink a deal? Let's hear about it! Anything do do with the writing as a whole is why we're here. So don't be shy, let's get going! What are we waiting for?

I used to write all the time, but have slowed over the years as coursework became more prominent in my life. Are you an author? I'd love to hear your experience...I'm currently enrolled in a science writing course and have rekindled my interest in the craft, but it's hard to get motivated. I like to hear what others are up to :)

I used to write a lot back then. When I was in high school, I did feature writing and some editorials for the school paper. When I was in college, I wrote for leisure, although I still wrote reports for the college paper. In my later years in college, I have turned to blogging but now, after the whirlwind of job-hunting, landing a job, fitting in and, well, working, I find that I have not written for quite a while. My last blog entry was dated January 2008 and my last piece of prose, even further into the past. Please don't ask when I last wrote poetry :)Now, I'm trying my best to get out of this immense writer's block. There had been a lot of false starts but it seems I have lost the ability to see a piece through. Have you, other writers, any advice?

I used to write a lot back then. When I was in high school, I did feature writing and some editorials for the school paper. When I was in college, I wrote for leisure, although I still wrote reports for the college paper. In my later years in college, I have turned to blogging but now, after the whirlwind of job-hunting, landing a job, fitting in and, well, working, I find that I have not written for quite a while. My last blog entry was dated January 2008 and my last piece of prose, even further into the past. Please don't ask when I last wrote poetry :)
Now, I'm trying my best to get out of this immense writer's block. There had been a lot of false starts but it seems I have lost the ability to see a piece through. Have you, other writers, any advice?

Hi Sal,

Excellent question.

I'm happy to hear that you're 'dusting off the pen' ! Look to solid writers forums. There's a wealth of advice from those published and un-published alike. Also, since BLOGGING has gained immense popularity, you can find threads dedicated to them.
Anyway, here's how I combat the block:
1)Quick-write:I take a piece of blank paper, and a timer. I set the timer to 2 minutes. Then I write whatever words come to mind. No sentences, don't care about spelling.....just two minutes of scribble. That seems to help.
2)Music: Generally instrumental pieces. I listen and let the music create visuals. Then I jot them down.
3)People Watch: I'll sit in a park, mall, wherever there is traffic. I watch folks go about their day, and interact with each other. This time, I visualize what their thinking, what their saying, where their going........

It's all about stimulating that inner author.

Hope this helps. Keep posting.

Also, here's thread link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I used to write all the time, but have slowed over the years as coursework became more prominent in my life. Are you an author? I'd love to hear your experience...I'm currently enrolled in a science writing course and have rekindled my interest in the craft, but it's hard to get motivated. I like to hear what others are up to :)

What's up, mout?

Thanks for posting.
Yes I'm an author, albeit un-published. I understand 'slowing over the years'. I was a writing fool into my late teens. Then life took over. It's only been over the last few years that, I too, rekindled. I'm working on three projects, and querying agents. I stay active on forums, and work on my craft, while learning the business. It's not say that all who participate want to become published, there are just as many who do it for the love of prose!

As far as motivation? Well, why not resurrect something from your past. Maybe a part of your life that fell to side. EX: I played in a METAL band until I was 22.......
How about a 'catharsis' telling of your travels through 'coursework'.
My favorite is to write about something that I'm passionate about.

Have at it, and keep posting!

I agree that writing about what you're passionate about is awesome...I used to love writing about writing, ironically. Currently I'm reading Julia Cameron's "The Right to Write," where she writes essays about the writing life. Each one has a writing prompt at the end, and I've found them quite helpful when I can find the time to sit down and do them.I used to dream of being published, but right now I'd just like to make a habit of writing again. I don't care so much about seeing my name in print as the joy I used to get from it. In high school I wrote my first novel, and while it was tough at times to figure out where it was going, there were some sessions where the words just flowed, and it was amazing! Now when I read parts of it I laugh...my style has changed so much since then. But it's fun to look back.Do you write mostly fiction or nonfiction? I used to love novels, but lately I've come to prefer nonfiction. I love a well-written, entertaining piece that also teaches me something.