xisto Community
MichaelA8

Readers And Writers Beware! A discussion on PREDITORY publishers and agents.

Much like preditory lenders, who covet misguided, 'newbie', or desperate people, there are functioning 'publishers' and 'literary agents' who do as well. There is little difference between these two groups. Although in different markets, their approach is the same, as is the outcome for many who sign with them.These 'companies' are the destoyer of dreams. With the lender, you're stuck with un-reasonable terms, poor support, and empty promises. They get their hooks in you and wait. Once things begin to crumble, they descend like a vulture. Your home, your dream, is gone.With the publisher, they prey on the innermost desires of aspiring authors. Like a wolf in sheep's clothing, they are masters of the 'swirve' tactic. Painting themselves in a most virtuous light, you'll think that they fell from the sky. Believe me, they have not. Like the lender, they lock you in, knowing EXACTLY how they will earn off you, and are not concerned with what returns you receive. That is how they operate. It is in fact, their business plan. Trick you in, sign you up, suck you dry, let you die. That's it.So, how do we avoid these types?First, if they come to you, out of nowhere, tread light. The companies with proven track records don't need to seek you out. They may welcome your business, but they don't NEED it.Second, REASEARCH-REASEARCH-RESEARCH! Find out whatever you can, from whoever you can. look to 'watchdog' groups. Visit as many seperate sites as you can. Look for a patten of behavior, and then coroborate. Ask questions to both the prospective company, and the groups that you searching with. Make a check list. Two columns: Pro/Con. This has helped me. Also remember this theory: If one says you're a duck, you're not. If two say you're a duck, you might be. If three say you're a duck, start quacking! Also, watch for what I call, The Inverted Red Flag. This is, while amongst a sea of confirmed evidence, there are a small number who say the opposite. CHECK AND RE-CHECK the minority opinions. At times, these sleazy, yet crafty, orginizations set up, and even FUND their own advocacy groups.Be patient. Check things out. You owe it to yourself. It's your money. Your time. Your life. Your Dreams. Nothing dies more painfully, than dreams.Just my opinion.~MichaelA8

Edited by MichaelA8 (see edit history)

have that personally happen to you before?or any examples? because i don't quite understand, is there such a company like this

have that personally happen to you before?or any examples? because i don't quite understand, is there such a company like this

Not me personally, and not 'company' but 'companies'. Many of them, with more starting up each day. I didn't get burned. This is because I took my own advice. Being involved in many author groups, I've heard horror stories. As to 'lenders', well we need only look at the state of our contry's 'foreclosure' situations, and the practices of the financial institutions involed with many of them.

Thanks for the post!

Michael

okay thanks for telling me that. i know that there are tricky people out there and we all have to be careful not to engage in business with these people. they are tricky and they target people who don't know as much as some people. as michaelA8 said do research and find a trustworthy organisation.

Unfortunately it's a lenders market.Just take a look at the banks.It's also a publishers market.Just take a look at the record industry.Both the Lenders and the publishers can afford all the lawyers tooso theres no chance for the starving artist.

Edited by networker (see edit history)

Thanks for advice micheala8. Yes i do agree with you and i've seen quite many people getting dumped in such traps. With financial crisis all over the world, many such companies and individuals will pop up to hunt. Sad but true.