xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
innosia

Programmer Life And Future In Jakarta A review of my career in Jakarta

I have been working in Jakarta as programmer for three years already. In those time I have created many applications, but there is always an issue related to the user that really frustated me and make me like feeling heavy or distress about it.In Jakarta, the computer users as actually only several percent of all the populations. The people knowing computer is so few and not even to mention that they know programming or logic, they don't think in logic anyways! My problems in Jakarta as software developer is hard to find the exact and accurate of the system requires by the client. For one day a client can say that this form will be submit to this department or this entry form, but the next day, if you meet up with an other user, they will probably tells you that "oh this is not how I work", so it is difficult to gather a correct requirement that all staff agree upon. Since one staff does not have a fix way of doing things, they can handle a single form with different ways, they have all those exceptions which is not organised, base on their client, or maybe have any friendship with the boss and bla bla that makes your system will crash oneday.Upon a time, I meet a boss, where he told me that why his company is always having failed developing softwares. Thinking and thinking, I told him all above problems, how could we actually use a computer if we are not ready? Like most of these companies are not even computer literated. If you are building a website for example, they ask you why must the page keep flipping (after you submit to refresh for certain). How do I tell them that this is a web application not a windows one, even he don't know how to differentiate one.Moreover, you place a combo box to select, then they will ask you to place another control that they like. God, I dont know how to face them. Thus this makes many software house going to specialized themselves in some fields, like implementing other software from Microsoft to any others. And many even open training centre to train client, and many software house choose not to develop software from ground up instead. This makes indonesia's programmers reputation earn a great discredit.And what even more complicated is the government. The government does not have fixed rules, they adjust rules daily like making breakfast, so every time the head or some one responsible is changed, a new rule is coming out to be seen as he is prestigious or is working, which does not really helps company to grow, but rather complicates the system created before, and so many doubts coming out about how this rule should be enforced since it is ambiguous and thus affecting programmers software for sure.I think, up until the major population is literates well with computer, and have a fix way of doing things, rule by rule, that time probably software will become more stable than ever.

This is an eye-opening article about computers and computer programming in a different part of the world. Many of us are used to high technology, fast computers etc and we don't realize how different it can be in other countries when not everyone owns a computer.

I think in any country no matter where you are there are going to be people who know their stuff and those who don't. Its you're responsibility as an IT professional to inform those who are not so knowledgeable in that area why things cant work a certain way or shouldn't be done that way. Nothing is perfect yet especially for web based applications because of where its been built up from so know what you can deliver and don't over promise anything you cant. Don't doubt your ability and knowledge you know more then the client that's why hes asking you to do the job instead of doing it himself. Keep learning and improving.Good luckSone.

Dear friend even many other countries are such where still owning a computer is a symbol of richness. In many offices of many countries where I have travelled I dont want to mention the names out here. They are still using a computer with 600 mgz speed and they are very happy with it. Even in some department I have seen the tendency of not even supporting computerization even. Is'nt it amazing that they think that computer is a head ache for them.?