xisto Community
bluedragon

Need Help With An Assignment.

Hi, I am learning advanced databases. I need to know , If i can install more than one database software on a single machine ? I have to work on PostGRE, MySQL, Oracle and DB2/SQLite/MS SQL for an assignment. Secondly. Where Can i get the internal working of these databases from. I need to know how a query is executed and what all steps are performed under each of the above. :) Thirdly. I need an open source alternate to Oracle , if its there or a developer edition for Oracle. Is it available ??Thanks

I am not a Database guru, but I'm pretty sure that you can install several Database Servers on your machine. It would simply be up to you to start the servers as you required them.XAMPP includes a MYSQL Server and SQLite is included as well under the php engine of XAMPP. POSTgre is Open Source, but Oracle and the MS stuff is proprietary, so will likely cost money.

Hi, I am learning advanced databases. I need to know , If i can install more than one database software on a single machine ?

I have to work on PostGRE, MySQL, Oracle and DB2/SQLite/MS SQL for an assignment.
Secondly. Where Can i get the internal working of these databases from. I need to know how a query is executed and what all steps are performed under each of the above. :)

Thirdly. I need an open source alternate to Oracle , if its there or a developer edition for Oracle. Is it available ??
Thanks

is it choosing from one of those database or your assignment must use them all? If choose i suggest MS SQL Express with no management studio, if you want the management studio you can try downloading it separately (there is a free one too). But if you want easy one, use mysql

To execute an SQL statement you need to connect to the database first. To connect, you will need a database name, server name, user name for the database and password. After the connection is made you can execute your statement and then remember to disconnect it so that you dont have open connection which will slow down your db and even crash it.

Thanks for the replies :) I have to use all of them in my project. But I still can find the internal workings .. Pls help. And I guess If i find a good enough theory , I might also NOT install these softwares. Since it needs a half an hour presentation only. Otherwise, I'll have to put up examples :)

thanks jlhaslip I think I'll have to hunt down some books for this .. Guess people are not really interested in the database software architectures :)PPL please suggest some good books for the database software architecture part if you know any .. thanks

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)