xisto Community
Stridr

Forums Reliability

Hi all fellow web developers and designers. I would like to ask what is the best free forum system, such as myBB and phpBB, Fireboard for joomla and so on. I have seen many sites with a huge community mostly powered by paid ones, such as IPB and vBulletin. So which is the best free one that can handle a huge community of users?

check out AEF Forum software at http://www.anelectron.com/.

Free, includes a shoutbox, lots of Ajax features, Search the tutorial section here at the Xisto for an Installation guide. Tutorial by me.

I Mod at the AEF Forums as well. Do some Development/Mods, too. I like it. Several other Xisto Members have been using it, too.

you can't get vbulletin free legally, that's for sure. I've used myBB and phpBB. Both are pretty good and userfriendly, but if I remember correctly, myBB has more features and you can install many user add-on plugins to add more fancy features to your forum. In fact, I think it was almost as good as vbulletin. The only issue with myBB is that there aren't as many good custom-made skins available as compared to phpbb which has been around for a long time. then again, if you are good with scripting and designing, this wouldn't be an issue for you.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

phpbb is good but with recent phpbb3 release, i find that its not really user friendly compare to mybb. IMO, every forum package available in the market have its own advantages. I would advice you to run a local server and try some of the forum package locally and its easier to judge from there.For me, i like SMF and mybb but when it comes to making a general forum, phpbb is my choice as it has the most users since its the best alternative to vBulletin.

I prefer SMF among all the free forums. I am not too sure if it is able to handle a huge community of users though. Compared with phpBB and myBB, SMF would be best in terms of forum features.

i personally prefer phpBB but like all others have said myBB, phpBB, and SMF are the top free ones... u just need to try all of them and pick your faviorite they all preform very well... but it if is a large community i would suggest to go ahead and buy vbulletin.