xisto Community
StonedMetalJewelry

Shopping Carts?

Sorry to have so many questions....... I'm really nervous about the Shopping Cart feature I want to have on my website.How do shopping carts work? what makes them tick? what protects the customer? how do I collect payments?Am I better off to let paypal handle it for now, is is it safe enough to just dive in?I'm thinking ahead, I don't even have a host yet... overly excited I guess :rolleyes:

Brenda,The easiest way to do a shopping cart is to register for a Pay Pal account. They will download a program to your computer that will create the webpage you can use for displaying all your "stuff". Once the page is made you store it in a file on your computer (along with any other webpages you create with "Dreamweaver" or any other website creator program). When you finally get all your webpages working the way you want them to (on your computer), THEN you just upload the whole cool bunch of webpages to the server computer (ie. website hosting site [Xisto.com etc,]) of your choice. Your Done.Hope this helps!RGPHNXPS- creating a online store page from scratch is difficult. PPS-Pay Pal has nice FAQ pages for your other questions.

RGPHNX,Excellent! That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks for the advice. I set up a Paypal account earlier today and considered using thier tools - I'm headed right back to thesite to really check out what they have to help me out.It sounds like this saves alot of headaches, not just shopping cart.Thank you!

HI,I'm confused (again) :rolleyes: I've been through the merchant tools and enterprise sections of paypal, and from what I see, they provide a shopping cart to attach to a site that I build - I cant find where they give you a program or even a template to create the storefront. ?? am I just missing it?

osCommerce indeed rocks, it's one of the best :P.It's also a free open source script(as far as I can remember, it's available via Xisto anyway :D) and it can do lots of things!You can also specify the payment which your costumer wants to use(paypal, wire transfer, mail, etc...)! And there are lots of custom scripts for it. Also, because it is coded in PHP, it's very easy to modify it yourself!

I like the idea of payment options, and customizing it....I think this is what I'm looking for ...... you say it's available via Xisto... would I look for Emporium or ecommerce scripting? guess I'd better get my request for hosting in.. so I can see what's here.Thanks much for the info, I do appreciate it!