xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TerroR

Rpg In Delphi n00bish topic

Hello people,

Me and my friend are kinda noob programmers. I have more experience, but it is hard to comunicate with him -- we live in different countries... yeah.

He has some knowledge of programming method, eg BFS, DFS, sorting etc. He uses Delphi

I have a huge pile of stuff that I know (it is called "my brain"), that I use when I fee like it :) I know lots more than him, but, being modest, I'd say, I know some basic C++ as well as lots of Delphi/Pascal.

We are eager to learn.

So, we both know Delphi, and we use DelphiX for the graphics engine. But, he has that massive idea of making a huge MMORPG, a LAN-only one for the start.

Where do you suggest we should start?

I would say start small, having a great idea for a project doesnt mean you can start right away. I am not a programming person but i have worked with one before on a mobile phone game.Put the huge idea aside and try on a smaller idea where you and your friend could work on side by side. Yes, a LAN-only game is a great start as you can test out the game remotely through hamachi client.Back in the high school days where i was so interested in Visual basic, i started by writing a 2D side scroll shooting game and slowly moved on to 2.5D (isometric) game. Maybe you could do that as well.I am not sure what others would give you as advice but for me, start small and simple, once you get the hook on the game developing architecture then start going something big.Many hobbyist programmers fall due to instead of crawling, they start to run and jump. All the best mate :)

I would say start small, having a great idea for a project doesnt mean you can start right away. I am not a programming person but i have worked with one before on a mobile phone game.

Put the huge idea aside and try on a smaller idea where you and your friend could work on side by side. Yes, a LAN-only game is a great start as you can test out the game remotely through hamachi client.

Back in the high school days where i was so interested in Visual basic, i started by writing a 2D side scroll shooting game and slowly moved on to 2.5D (isometric) game. Maybe you could do that as well.

I am not sure what others would give you as advice but for me, start small and simple, once you get the hook on the game developing architecture then start going something big.

Many hobbyist programmers fall due to instead of crawling, they start to run and jump. All the best mate :)

Thanks onscreen,

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting to him just a few minutes ago :P. I've checked with him on what he wants to do, but he is overly enthusiastic person. In everything. So yeah.

If anyone here knows how to set up an efficient LAN-based communication between the clients, please post, preferably in-detail. Thanks!

And, more specs:

*2D-based graphics would be used

*LAN multiplayer would be controlled by either:

-client-to-dedicated server through basic UDP sockets, or

-client-to-client through DirectPlay

Only 8 players would be able to connect at once, but it will be made dynamic when we sort out the network stuff)