xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chrissai

I've Rencently Surffered For A Net Nightmare

I'm currently experiencing a problem with Telstra, and my net connection. If I run this by the forum, someone might be able to give me some advise to assist the technicians....

SAT 5th: "Link" light continually flashing on my NetComm 4 port modem/router. Initiate several tests that eliminate filters, lines, etc.

SUN 6th: Ring service difficulties and faults. After connecting phone to line leading to modem, advised by Telstra assistant, that there is indeed a line fault on/with the modem line. When I explain that there is often noone at home during business hours, I was told not to worry as the problem was "outside". Told that the problem would be fixed by Thursday.

THURS 10th: Come home from work to a "Service Call" card. Short story says that everything is good with Telstra: check your telecommunications equipment.

Here's the odd bit.... I'm on the net right now, typing this. So where's my problem you might ask?? Well the only way I can access the net, is to "open" the phone line, which then permits connection to the net line!!!

Telstra exchange problem/fault?? How do I explain to these roosters that I have a problem??

Obviously there is no way to be certain, but from experience this issue would propagate from a contractor or technician working at the exchange and not paying attention to detail. You should find out where your exchange is located and go and speak (nicely) to the senior engineer. Ask him to check your line on the switch (physical connection on the exchange equipment).No doubt he will check the computer and it will say all is OK, but if he physically goes to see he will no doubt find the wires are crossed and or hooked together. Thus the computer will always 'think' both lines are OK.Hope this is of some assistance, but without knowing precisely what equipment Telstra use these days its the best start point.