xisto Community
innosia

What Is Captcha

Just like what the other users say, it is a program that generates a challenge to confirm that the one registering to your website isn't a bot but a human. CAPTCHAs prevent spam posts or comments on blogs or forums and spam mails. The common CAPTCHAs are those that asks the user to type the generated text but there are also some CAPTCHAs that uses image. Personally, I like those image-based CAPTCHAs than text CAPTCHAs. Some text CAPTCHAs are quite hard to read while I find those image-based CAPTCHA, which will ask you to complete the puzzle, interesting. For me, they're easier than the common ones.When I don't know anything about building websites, spams and these bots, I really thought that CAPTCHAs are totally annoying. I wondered what's the point of entering random texts that are sometimes unreadable. :blush: They also say "Are you human?" and I was like "What? Of course I am :huh:!". Spam bots never came to my mind. But now that I know their purpose, I don't get annoyed with these CAPTCHAs anymore even if some text are slightly unreadable. :D

Edited by xChellesei (see edit history)

Captcha is script code which can be used on many forums, sites, blogs where mysql or other database is present. For captcha the site must have form objects, which exactly mean connection between the client or the customer with the site database. Example of form objects: filling registration fields, signing up... etc Because there are unintellegent clients whom primary point is to act like people, which are made by people for certain purposes called mostly spam bots, or bots generally... So it's a bit harder for easier level of programmers to make a bot which can pass the captcha code, and do its targets. But this is still easy passable. I think captcha is usable to kick off part of the programmers who are less experienced and can't pass the captcha code and do their primary targets with their bots. It's a big game :)

To restrict programmatic form submit, most of the website uses recaptcha. Google is also providing recaptcha facility. see the following link:https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.htmlThe recaptcha consist of an image having alphabets,numbers,symbols etc. The user who submit the form should submit the characters of image in the provided textbox to confirm the form is submitting by a human.The captcha is something annoying to the user, sincer the characters in the captcha is not like normal letters, it is only identifiable when we observe it hard. But this is the only way to avoid the bulk submit of form with the scripts or programs.

Captcha is a image verification method to prevent some robots can operate in some websites or to secure the website registration that only real people is getting registered. I have heard a lot about captcha in the internet because like a lot of people I hate it. I hate a lot how captcha is getting popular in the internet and how it makes you lose a lot of time. It is necessary perhaps but is going to be a completely lost of time for all of us who have to be writing all this non-sense words that in most of cases you cant read either.The preferences of the people for what is simple and easy is so marked that in my country a website named depositfiles.com started to require captcha to allow you to download a file with a size bigger than 5 MB, before this depositfiles was the preferred file hosting page in all my country but now it is not more the prefered site because this captcha is so annoying and almost impossible to read that some people like me prefer to seek some file in all the internet before download from depositfiles. There is not a surprise that in my country the people in the download forums put one or two mirrors for the archives uploaded. This is maybe like a new rule here.

I wrote a PHP script for Captcha just last week. I tried to keep it simple and it will most likely be possible to write a Python script to use popular optical character recognition libraries for obtaining the text from the image, but my point is to keep the weakest spambots away while enabling all users to post comments - not that I get all that many comments on my blog.I also had some spam finding its way into a CodeShare script that I setup, though the spam is negligible at this stage. I think a good way to prevent spam is to display a picture and ask the user a question about the picture, such as "What is the color of the car in the picture?" It would be difficult to create a generic spambot that can get past such a captcha, though if someone were to write a spambot specific to the website, they would be able to eventually get past this variant of captcha.

I agree with k_nitin_r instead of typing out alphabets,numeric characters as part of CAPTCHA if such a visual question is placed it would resist scripts of the general sort to a large extent .

Edited by Ananya (see edit history)