xisto Community
innosia

What Is Captcha

My friends often dont know that they use captcha everytime, but they dont know the name. Do you know what is captcha?Captcha is image verification to prevent auto registration/posting. It is a technique developed by some creative workers to prove that a person is exist and is registrating / posting since they can type the letter displayed in an captcha image. Though captcha developer and AI developer is fighting, but i think captcha is hard to be read by AI, since it can be distorted easily while AI needs to find the distorting logic before building the AI.

With so many sites that use and trust Captcha, and with more and more extentions built for it to integrate it into sites, is it really the best, fool-proof option?

Yes it is the best fool-proof option!Because captcha image can be easily distorted, colorized, and use other techniques that can fool Artificial Intelligent application. Image can be easily distorted, changed, colorized while AI need to analyze it before building it. Until our AI technology like those in the movies, captcha will be fool proof.

Yes, but sometimes authors of Captchas go to great lengths to make sure the user is a human. Sometimes too great lengths, too the point that a normal human being cannot even read the Captcha created by the author. Captcha can be a great solution, but I still think that sometimes people take it too far.

I think some of these form verification techniques goa little too far.I hate that when some of the letters/numbers are so continually blurred that you just can't read them and youcan't ever post.

I usually hate captchas, which for some reason even I a human can be annoyed to verify the code, because it usually unreadable, furthermore, sometimes it isn't even said that if i need to use uppercase letters or only lowercase or the ones i see in the image, this is really annoying!Besides it's proved that captcha isn't so secure as it was first thought, computer can read it to if the captcha is cracked/hacked somehow by some pro people.. in my opinion, what stopped some spam for me was a math question, a random one which can't really be guessed by a computer, even though maybe with time it will change, but at least it's easy for the human to solve it, who wouldn't know what is the sum of 10 and 20? :) or something like that ;]Even though, it also might be hacked, the best method is to change it every time in some period of time. :)

I hate captcha, im sure there is bound to some way to check for humans that is easy on the eyes, maby click on a moving image for example, would be more fun also

Yes, but a moving image is easily clicked on by an AI. Even though I agree that some "Captchas" are just too hard to read, I believe that it's a great system and that AI developers will definitely have a hard time cracking it.

Yes, but a moving image is easily clicked on by an AI. Even though I agree that some "Captchas" are just too hard to read, I believe that it's a great system and that AI developers will definitely have a hard time cracking it.

Not really, if you know how to code, and pack things away real good, then u can code a simple program, that can bypass the captcha.

I hate captcha, im sure there is bound to some way to check for humans that is easy on the eyes, maby click on a moving image for example, would be more fun also

Captcha and Re-Captcha is one of the only ways to keep spammers out of forums. There are a couple of alternatives, but none of which are nearly as effective as captcha is.

Not really, if you know how to code, and pack things away real good, then u can code a simple program, that can bypass the captcha.

I'm sure that it won't be a simple program.. Even though there are cases found on Google where Captchas were hacked, I still think it's the most effective way against spammers/hackers.

Captchas are the best defenses today. I'm getting daily 200 SPAM on my wordpress blog, so i decided to use CAPTCHA plugin so the numbers are reduced to 90 now. So even if the CAPTCHA system is cracked by most of the spammers, they'll stay as good defense for some time. Akismet and defensio still consider them as good optionMany Anti-spam consider a thought of adding CAPTCHA in Flash/Java applet so that it'll be harder to crack by spammers.Let's see where the trend of captcha goes. OpenID can solve problems of spammers as well, if they get tweaked properly.

Well a captcha is somthing used to Verify your Human, and not a bot or spammer, they are used in many different websites, for example, when you registered to Xisto, it showed a box with random letters and numbers in it, you had to copy this and type it in the box so they know your not a bot. Captcha is a very popular way to make sure their bandwith is not spammed with bots. Bots do not know the excact captcha and never will, its always random with new ones being updated every 5 minutes. Thats what a Caotcha Verification is!

Bots do not know the excact captcha and never will, its always random with new ones being updated every 5 minutes. Thats what a Caotcha Verification is!

Actually some of the crackers/spammers found solution for that. I heard about "USdownloader" software which by-passed Rapidshare CAPTCHA earlier. But now that rapidshare removed captcha system and allowed flexible download slots. That software is in graveyard now, find it you may get information about how they did it.So we can't claim that such system are perfect. Everything in software and technology world perishes as time goes on. :)

Uh Variablez.. CAPTCHAs are generated every time, not every 5 minutes.CAPTCHAs can by bypassed. There are several ways for a bot to do so, such as character recognition, cracking a hash used (possibly used with character recognition), or even displaying the CAPTCHA on another website and waiting for people to do it! (i.e. a high traffic website, or maybe a CAPTCHA game? - people would never guess :))