xisto Community
StonedMetalJewelry

To Get Started With A Website

I could use some help from those more experienced..... starting an e-business out of an established jewelry businessI bought the domain for 3 years, set up email, set up a paypal account, set up an ebay seller account, and cleaned the naughty pictures off the digital camera. Now I"m looking for a web host. I think this is it. I have knowlege of basic html using notepad, and know that templates for various designs are plentiful.Am I forgetting anything?

Not realy, what a bout an ecommerce script? When you get your accunt, there are a few pre-installed ecommerce scripts available, in cone click they are ready to use!Im off to bed now (10:40PM, School tomorow! :rolleyes:)

cragllo,ecommerce script? I guess I am new, or out of date. how would I find one of those? I'll go on a search tonight and see what I find.Off to dinner (6:15 PM here) ....... you must be someplace in Europe?Thanks for your help, this script sounds like a great idea and worth pursuing. I'll let you know how I make out. Unless someone knows where to find it without a big search?

I could use some help from those more experienced..... starting an e-business out of an established jewelry business

I bought the domain for 3 years, set up email, set up a paypal account, set up an ebay seller account, and cleaned the naughty pictures off the digital camera.  Now I"m looking for a web host.  I think this is it.  I have knowlege of basic html using notepad, and know that templates for various designs are plentiful.

Am I forgetting anything?

41890[/snapback]

If you have an "offline" business, want to go online, but have no experience of your own, I just have to say: Let someone else do it for you. Nothing is as off-putting as an unprofessional looking site for a business. I am guessing it's even worse for a business selling pricy items.

When I say "let someone else do it", I mean the setting up and technical maintainance of your website, probably also the design as well. What you really want is a well built site with a CMS so you can edit texts and lists of things you sell without having to know all techy stuff.

Just my 2 pence.

If you have an "offline" business, want to go online, but have no experience of your own, I just have to say: Let someone else do it for you. Nothing is as off-putting as an unprofessional looking site for a business. I am guessing it's even worse for a business selling pricy items.

When I say "let someone else do it", I mean the setting up and technical maintainance of your website, probably also the design as well. What you really want is a well built site with a CMS so you can edit texts and lists of things you sell without having to know all techy stuff.

Just my 2 pence.

42021[/snapback]

Hey, Thanks for the advice, but one reason I'm embarking on this project is to learn a new hobby! I have built a different kind of website, for a non-profit agency, so the hosting was donated, and the design donated by me. I'm not new to the whole concept, just to e-business.

Letting someone else do it isn't my style. Buy a girl a fish, and you'll have to keep buying the girl a fish every day. Teach her how to fish, and she'll have all the fish she needs and some to share. It's a skill I want to have.

But thanks anyways

:P Though I like to do my own websites, since it helps me learn new things, I have to agree with bjrn, at least at first, if you're doing a website for a business let someone who has experience do it. *wishes I could plug myself for the job* :D

:P

Though I like to do my own websites, since it helps me learn new things, I have to agree with bjrn, at least at first, if you're doing a website for a business let someone who has experience do it. *wishes I could plug myself for the job*  :D

42092[/snapback]

Hi spamlord,

Well one factor is cost - I've seen the prices and I just don't have iany money to pay someone I do have some knowlege and talent that I can utilize, so I'm going to go for it. I guess I shouldn't ask so many questions in the forums, makes me look something of an idiot and I really do know the basics, it's just been a few years since I built a site.

The business itself isn't hugely established, so I think I can fake my way through for a while B)

do you expect people to buy jewlery online? have you done any market profiling on people who buy jewlery? I don't know if it's just me but I would not want to buy an engagement ring online. I would like to see how it looks for real. Big ticket items are rarely done online.On the other hand, if you are selling mainly cheaper stuff then it may be worth looking into. The way to go is to design the website yourself but have a third party handle the transactions. You can design the website all the way up to a login system and shopping cart before going to the third party. Many webhosts offer add-ons like agora shopping cart that is pretty easy to implement into your website.The third party company will handle security, credit card transactions, etc. Personally, I would not want to give out my credit card number over the internet unless there were some form of security from a big company.Read up on companies like verisign, cybercash, segue systems, and ICVerify. They offer transaction processing services and are secure. They can offer your customers peace of mind and is one more thing that will push the sale.

do you expect people to buy jewlery online?  have you done any market profiling on people who buy jewlery?  I don't know if it's just me but I would not want to buy an engagement ring online.  I would like to see how it looks for real.  Big ticket items are rarely done online.

Have you ever seen the applets they use to sell houses via the internet? It lets you rotate and see everything from almost every angle. I would take this approach for jewelry, and establish a good policy. People were skeptical (and still are) to buy computer hardware off the net. People do it everyday from trusted sites like http://www.newegg.com/, and http://www.tigerdirect.com/.

On the other hand, if you are selling mainly cheaper stuff then it may be worth looking into.  The way to go is to design the website yourself but have a third party handle the transactions.  You can design the website all the way up to a login system and shopping cart before going to the third party.  Many webhosts offer add-ons like agora shopping cart that is pretty easy to implement into your website.

There's everal different scripts you can use. It's not that hard to script one, either. I find the big problem with listing all the items, mainly, because I'm sick and all. I'd personally figure out what you're selling (I see you'd got it, SMJ.), who you're selling it too (Don't want Grandpa to throw the 'puter out the window, or have a stroke looking for the Check out button), and how you're going to sell it. (This includes return policies, etc.)

The third party company will handle security, credit card transactions, etc.  Personally, I would not want to give out my credit card number over the internet unless there were some form of security from a big company.

That's what SSL is for.

Read up on companies like verisign, cybercash, segue systems, and ICVerify.  They offer transaction processing services and are secure.  They can offer your customers peace of mind and is one more thing that will push the sale.

42141[/snapback]

Paypal is probably the best to use. They have many different options (checks, etc) and have partnerships with places like versign.

do you expect people to buy jewlery online?  have you done any market profiling on people who buy jewlery?  I don't know if it's just me but I would not want to buy an engagement ring online.  I would like to see how it looks for real.  Big ticket items are rarely done online. 

Why so discouraging? I do belong here just like everyone else.

First, let me clarify: we're not making jewelry just to have an online store. !!! Just the opposite - the jewelry business is already there, the website is another potential outlet.

We're not selling engagement rings for thousands of dollars, we're selling cut, pounded silver, and semi-precious stones & beads. Some of it is art and some of it is simple beadwork. I shouldn't have to explain this in order to ask a few questions about building a basic website.

I had already decided to use Paypal until I learn more. I know my way around the internet and know that I also would not put my credit card number into an unknown void in cyberspace.

Thanks for your advice. and the answer is, yes, I expect people to buy jewelry online. I don't however expect YOU to buy jewelry online. There are people who will and people who won't. It's an experiment, I'm not expecting to get rich here, as I said - it's one more POTENTIAL outlet.

Have you ever seen the applets they use to sell houses via the internet? It lets you rotate and see everything from almost every angle. I would take this approach for jewelry, and establish a good policy. People were skeptical (and still are) to buy computer hardware off the net. People do it everyday from trusted sites like http://www.newegg.com/, and http://www.tigerdirect.com/.

What a cool idea! I never thought of that. I have to get good with taking the pictures first, that has become an adventure in itself - I'm trying to find a simple spot in the studio that will be consistent lighting, and simple. l want snapping the photos to become part of the assembly line - create, string, install ends, take photos, package. Working on making this a convient part of the process. I really really like that idea though, and it would add a touch of class to the site.

I know what you mean about buying hardware online, my friends will still go to the store and spend way more for a wireless router after watching me spend a fraction of the cost on tigerdirect. I've been using these sites for ages. Maybe I assume too much that people "will" buy some jewelry, but heck, if the ones that do will buy it from someone else if I'm not there, right? :P

Thanks for a groovy idea! I'll add that to my list of research topics.

Opening an online store just for "another outlet" is not always the best idea. You may end up just wasting a lot of time and resources for nothing. The example of selling a house online just wouldn't work. Yes, people goto the website to VIEW the house and gather information but they won't actually make the purchase online. How can you say that you don't see the relavence in me knowing the product before making suggestions? The product is the most important thing!! Your product has a target market which defines how you will set up your website (if at all) for online shopping.. You can't just say "some will buy and some won't". You have to KNOW who will buy and who won't.Let's say you sell jewlery that is cheap which would likely be targeted towards young teenage girls... They have a lot of disposable income and would be a good target market. But, if you setup online shopping.. how many of these young teenage girls will have a credit card where they can use paypal or some other online payment?? They usually have CASH. That means they walk into a REAL store and pay using paper, not plastic. In this case, your website should only be informational with a simple payment method like money orders.Knowing your target customers is one of the most important things. Take another example, if your target is old ladys. They have credit cards and probably have some money. But, they don't use computers!! How are you gonna get them to buy online? In this case, you should not even use a website.Now look at the computer example.. the target market is computer people. They are usually comfortable doing things online. In addition, a computer is a computer is a computer. I don't have to try it on to see how it looks on me. That's why computer online sales work (like books and cd's). Jewlery is not computers.. you can't make that connection. Jewlery is part of fashion and people would probably like to see how it looks on them before buying it. UNLESS you go for the cheap cheap and more cheap strategy.And yes, paypal is easy... for you... but is it easy for the customer? Again, you have to look at your customers. How many would have a paypal account? How many would go through the hassle to open a paypal account?I'm just pointing out things you need to consider. Going online is not simply throwing up a website. If it isn't done right, it can end up hurting your business. If you are experimenting, I would go with a different name. Register a second company under the original one. If you are serious about going online, I think there needs to be a lot of planning.

Opening an online store just for "another outlet" is not always the best idea.  You may end up just wasting a lot of time and resources for nothing.  The example of selling a house online just wouldn't work.  Yes, people goto the website to VIEW the house and gather information but they won't actually make the purchase online. 

How can you say that you don't see the relavence in me knowing the product before making suggestions?  The product is the most important thing!!  Your product has a target market which defines how you will set up your website (if at all) for online shopping..  You can't just say "some will buy and some won't".  You have to KNOW who will buy and who won't.

Let's say you sell jewlery that is cheap which would likely be targeted towards young teenage girls... They have a lot of disposable income and would be a good target market.  But, if you setup online shopping.. how many of these young teenage girls will have a credit card where they can use paypal or some other online payment??  They usually have CASH.  That means they walk into a REAL store and pay using paper, not plastic.  In this case, your website should only be informational with a simple payment method like money orders.

Knowing your target customers is one of the most important things.  Take another example, if your target is old ladys.  They have credit cards and probably have some money.  But, they don't use computers!!  How are you gonna get them to buy online?  In this case, you should not even use a website.

Now look at the computer example.. the target market is computer people.  They are usually comfortable doing things online.  In addition, a computer is a computer is a computer.  I don't have to try it on to see how it looks on me.  That's why computer online sales work (like books and cd's). 

Jewlery is not computers.. you can't make that connection.  Jewlery is part of fashion and people would probably like to see how it looks on them before buying it.  UNLESS you go for the cheap cheap and more cheap strategy.

And yes, paypal is easy... for you... but is it easy for the customer?  Again, you have to look at your customers.  How many would have a paypal account?  How many would go through the hassle to open a paypal account?

I'm just pointing out things you need to consider.  Going online is not simply throwing up a website.  If it isn't done right, it can end up hurting your business.  If you are experimenting, I would go with a different name.  Register a second company under the original one.  If you are serious about going online, I think there needs to be a lot of planning.

42177[/snapback]

Please stop attacking my efforts. Please stop being so negative and discouraging. I am not as STUPID as you are making me look. STOP!!! I'm sorry you have such a negative attitude but DON'T rub it off on me.

I am and will continue to be optomistic about my venture. WITHOUT the likes of you putting me down, talking down to me, and insulting my business. You sound like a 15 year old know-it-all.

Go offend somebody else, if it makes you big man on campus.

An online jewelry shop doesn't always have to have customers buying its products online. The website could also work as an online catalog, if a persons has likened a particular ring or necklace he or she could just call the store to purchase for more inquires or visit the store if he or she wants. this way he/she could as well save time travelling to the store. instead of going there only to find out that there is no jewelry that they would like to buy.

Please stop attacking my efforts.  Please stop being so negative and discouraging.  I am not as STUPID as you are making me look.  STOP!!!  I'm sorry you have such a negative attitude but DON'T rub it off on me. 

I am and will continue to be optomistic about my venture.  WITHOUT the likes of you putting me down, talking down to me, and insulting my business.  You sound like a 15 year old know-it-all. 

Go offend somebody else, if it makes you big man on campus.

42187[/snapback]

lol, who sounds like a 15 year old? I'm not making you look stupid.. you're doing a good job of that all on your own. If you don't like what I have to say then simply ignore it. I am simply pointing out things you need to consider. This is an online message board and I cannot make assumptions about what you know or don't know.

Being optimistic is good and all but that doesn't mean you neglect other important aspects of online shopping. Anyway, I'm not gonna bother talking about it. You clearly are offended, though I'm not sure why.

If you percieve some constructive critisism and feedback on your approach to an online store as negative/discouraging comments, and even insulting... then fine. No skin off my back. I don't have to prove, nor do i even want to prove, my credentials in a forum such as this. To that end, I will not be replying in this thread anymore.

@boycradle. as I tried to say in my post earlier, informational websites are usually the way to go on big ticket items (like the house example).