xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Davinci Code

Ok, Ok, I know I am way behind on the times, the movie is allready out and gone and I just now got around to reading the book. First off, so you know, I'm a cheap skate, and just happened to see the book at the swap meet for a quarter, so I decided I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I remember a lot of controversy when the movie came out from the religous sector. And boy do I know why now, after reading the book! Talk about a serious stab at organaized religion!!! At any rate, it was a good story and I did enjoy reading it. Sure kept me guessing. I even guessed wrong, thougt the "teacher" was the cop. What I am curious about is how much of the book's background is real and how much is fiction? Of course, we have all heard of the search for the grail and all that but what about the godess worship and other old religions it mentions? The Priory of Sion and the Opus Dei, are those for real? Yes, I know there is a page in the book that says all of those are real, but it is a book of fiction anyway so who can believe that?

Ah, yes, the good old Da Vinci Code. I remember reading this book, and yes it had an excellent story that kept me hooked throughout the entire book. And of course the storyline is fiction, but what about the rest of it? Dan Brown did include that mysterious facts page at the beginning of the book, stating that all artwork documents, secret rituals etc... depicted in the novel are all accurate, however it does not mention to what extent. It is an interesting topic, so interesting that a tv show devoted to revealing what was fact or fiction in the Da Vinci Code was made. According to the show, the Priory of Sion and Opus Dei do exist, however they are much different than they are depicted in the novel. Anyway that's enough mystery in one post for me. Before I sign off I'd like to recommend two other books by Dan Brown. Both have the exact same style as the Da Vinci Code, and same twists and turns. By the third Dan Brown book I read I was able to accurately predict what was going to happen just because I started to learn his style of being what you'd least expect... Confusing, I know. Anyway the first is Deception Point. It is an amazing story that isn't nearly as controversial for religious groups as it is to NASA and the government. The other is Angels and Demons, the prequel to Da Vinci Code, which is in my opinion the best book Dan Brown has ever written.

I too agree that it had an excellent story.As to science behind fiction, there are at least 2 shows on National Geograohic and one on Viasat History on that subject. Find them and watch them. In short religious order Opus Dei does exist but it's nothing like the organization described in the book. Priory of Sion is a hoax by a guy called Pierre Plantard. He claimed that he is heir to the French throne and last grand master of the priory, but it was discovered that he planted the list of grand masters(Leaonardo included) into archives of Paris library and later used it as a proof to his claims. Holy grail was first mentioned in dark or middle ages in literature. I don't remember everything right now, the point is that it's great piece of fiction, but if you want conspiracy theory to believe in, there are much better theories out there.Of course, on the other hand, I might be one of "them", trying you to convince you that Brown lied. Think about it...The truth is out there

Ah the Da vinci code. I really loved this book, every single page of it. It always makes you wonder what will happen next. I don't really think the stuff described in the book are real though. I also loved it's prequel "Angel and Demons". Heard there was gonna be a movie about it too.

the davinci code rocks. i've read it many times and its probably my favorite book i've ever read. its really interesting and compelling and you seriously just can't put it down once you've started reading it. you just have to keep on turning the page to see whats going to happen next. great book.

Hello all!Well, I have read da vinci code and it was an awesome book. I really enjoyed it, it is really mysterious with suspense and all those mystical things that we like to imagine happening. The book was just perfect and I read it pretty fast without any problem easy to understand I found (I read it in french since I am much better at french than english for reading).I have seen also the movie and there I will completely have different opinion about this, because it was really terrible! The movie was not interesting at all, they really ruined the plot of the story. My friend never read the book and found the movie boring, but those who actually read the book before watching the movie found it much more interesting than those who never read.Personally, I am glad that I read it before to watch the movie, but I still didn't really liked watching it. Some scenes were just ok, but could be much better.Tim.

Well, I have read da vinci code and it was an awesome book. I really enjoyed it, it is really mysterious with suspense and all those mystical things that we like to imagine happening. The book was just perfect and I read it pretty fast without any problem easy to understand I found (I read it in french since I am much better at french than english for reading).
I have seen also the movie and there I will completely have different opinion about this, because it was really terrible! The movie was not interesting at all, they really ruined the plot of the story. My friend never read the book and found the movie boring, but those who actually read the book before watching the movie found it much more interesting than those who never read.

Personally, I am glad that I read it before to watch the movie, but I still didn't really liked watching it. Some scenes were just ok, but could be much better.

I could not agree any more with you. The movie was just boring, and the only reason it kept my interest enough to watch the rest of the film because I read the book, but I can imagine how boring and confusing it could be to those who didn't. I heard that they are working on a movie based on Angels and Demons, and I hope they do a better job because that is my favorite book.

I definitely didn't like the movie, but I enjoyed the book, even though it's not my usual type of book to go for. I would really recommend it to anyone.

I could not agree any more with you. The movie was just boring, and the only reason it kept my interest enough to watch the rest of the film because I read the book, but I can imagine how boring and confusing it could be to those who didn't. I heard that they are working on a movie based on Angels and Demons, and I hope they do a better job because that is my favorite book.

Ohh, really? Hopefully, they will learn from their mistakes. But I can kinda understand them, because it is pretty hard to put all this information from a book to a movie, but still it does not gives an excuse to create something not interesting: peoples are paying for it and gotta get for their money. If you cannot make something interesting, just give up and make something else lol (mean but its reality).

Or simply they should maybe make it longer add another hour to put more informations in, because they are missing so much!

By the way, what is Angels and Demons about? (I know the name kinda says it, but a short plot of the story would be great to know!).

Tim.