xisto Community
shadowx

How Much Would You Be Willing To Pay For These Services? Please answer the poll and add your thoughts

Website Poll  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi folks, me and a guy from college are looking into starting a new website creation/design business. He is brilliant with design and plenty good with HTML and CSS, JS isnt bad and flash is on the hitlist for both of us. I specialize in PHP, MYSQL and my HTML and CSS skills are strong, JS isnt bad and some minor AJAX too. Together we can do some good stuff. The current job is an e-commerce site, and is going well :) A previous job was a ticket company that acts a billboard for users to post details of tickets they dont want anymore along with contact details so other users can email them and arrange to buy these tickets. It was a really click site if i say so myself :D I hand coded an admin area, registered users are and a non-members area, all with different options, lists of tickets (the admin had to approve them etc...) and im damn proud of it! So basically what im saying is technically we are skilled enough to pull this off. We dont have formal education in the website field but we have enough experience... so anyway...I need to do a bit of market research so we can tailor our prices accordingly. We are aiming idealy and small to medium business who need websites for any purpose from e-commerce, client/customer interaction (eg contact forms etc...), advertising and general public relations (such as displaying info to customers/clients like contact details, company mission statements etc...) We hope to move up the ladder and target bigger companies and hopefully the demand gets to a point where we need to employ others to take the work load. He has clients in both design and coding that can take the heat if we get overloaded! I have requested 6 quotes just to see what other companies would charge but i want to ask the customers/clients what they think. So please answer the poll above honestly and add your advice/comments/questions below. Note: currently im not "advertising" the business here, at the moment we are working on a plan, then i may well offer some cut price websites if we can work something out :PAlso what sort of things would you expect for your website? As i said im skilled in PHP so i can easily add any type of form to collect data, send emails, even read emails so that includes user registration, shoutbox, contact forms, confirmation emails/"tell a friend", user profile pages, galleries, i can stretch to making a PM system too :DWhat else would you like in terms of features? Flash intros/banners? Advertising solutions (like google adwords or banner rotation systems)?The more info you provide the more you help me out :PEDIT: Thanks for answering my Poll :P If you could let me know why you chose what you chose that would be great! Please?!

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

Difficult question to answer exactly. Without seeing the Specifications for the job, i would not be able to suggest a rate/price.Dynamic site coding aside, there is a local fellow that does web pages for $15 each. 5 pages for $75.Of course, they are very bare boned, no Mysql/php coding. And he does the Design work. You select a Template colour and that is about all you can select.

Thanks for the reply :)we would be doing everything unique, fresh designs and code, of course i have features like shoutboxes, login, registration forms etc... all saved up ready to be integrated but they would all be customized.Ive seen one advert for an e-commerce site starting at ?900 which is damn expensive in my eyes!So far the votes are pretty even so thats interesting

Interesting discussion. I cant believe I missed this thread, I must of been when I was not as active. I have submitted my votes. I am wondering how your getting on with the company. Any exciting projects your working on right now? I've been progressing a little bit myself but not yet ready to hit the freelance or own company thing. Good on ya through for doing it. I've got a question for you though since you say you got some code already prepared for certain functions. I know its good to have modular code ready to be reused on other projects. I started to write my own since the use of other libraries were either too complicated for my understanding or it did not do exactly what I wanted. I am wondering if you have moved on to OOP style or are you still in procedural programming. Looking forward to discussing further web development topics :D

I wouldn't pay anything for those things.I could just build them myself.The problem is that so can so many others can as well.That's why people will only pay peanuts for software orexpect it for free.I'm not trying to sound negative,that's just how it is.Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I think by telling you what I hate to see will be an easier choice for me as I am an easy-going person.1) Banners. I am fine with a banner here and there but I can't stand expandable ads banner, splash ads, pop up/under and those video ads will the sound on by default.2) Navigation that pops up a new window whereever I navigate to.