xisto Community
Imjaison

The Old Games Have we forgot about the classics with all this new technology.

Better graphics and more pixels and 30 buttons does not mean a better game. Far from it. I think gameplay has gone down in many games becasue the focus was on graphics or something other then. Your thought.

I understand your point, but I believe in the advance of games. The old games were good....for their time.In today's world, a good game has many options, extreme graphics, and more freedom than what we were offered with the old games.

Imjaison you make a very good point,also PhyberOptycs you make a good point. I would have to say that the word good is defined as the word means good! good graphics, good gameplay, good sound etc. Some older games did have a certain way of telling a story...usually in text but it was noticable that gameplay was focused and seemed to have more features. At times givin that you had a decent machine with a few hundred mhz and some good color capabilites and sound capabilities.You could have played some of the greats. Some games of today have not touched on the features such a racing game i remember playing on windows 98 but it was devloped for dos. It had you start out and browse the newpaper for a used car and it randomized the cars and you could get them damaged, dirty ,needing major, minor repairs, or just used. Also the prices for things were real, like a good race tranny could be had about 1200 or used tranny could be had for 300. You could adjust or advance timing while looking at the engine with pulleys spinning and what not. The name of the game has slipped my mind, but like I was saying the game had great features but the physics for the game were not there and thats important in racing games of today. That requires a lot more coding and education like obviously physics. Beacuse if you cannot do the math then it is really tough to recreate things as they are in the real world. As with the devolpment of expanded source codes and game engines it all gets down to what the delopment teams want to do with a game. There were old games that blew and there are new games that blow.

As a gamer that has game now for three generations, 80s, 90s and 21st century. I always play the classics when I get a free chance because they never really get old and the fact that they are far more challenging then the next generation of games. Due to the fact that you can save and restart if you mess up, but unlike the other games you had to do it in one shot unless you got some games that have the save feature built in. I still play Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Arcade games on my computer and boy to my wrists and fingers hurt after a few hours :).

I agree. I'd sooner have a better game plot with mediocre graphics than a game with not much thought put into the plot but fantastic graphics. I'd rather just get the art book or download the wallpaper.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Better graphics and more pixels and 30 buttons does not mean a better game. Far from it. I think gameplay has gone down in many games becasue the focus was on graphics or something other then. Your thought.

Take into account the story line. Games may have flashy graphics and all, but if it doesnt serve a point and/or a clone of another successful game then you got a point.

But the games were good for its time, heck some of the classics I still like to play now every now and again. Scorched Earth for the PC is one example, Beamrider for Commodore 64 and even Pitfall (the original Atari/Commodore versions). Although some of the classics are later re-released for the more powerful platforms. I liked Pitfall for the PC when that released in the mid 90s.

I''ve only been playing since nintendo O_O, some of you are ooooooooold... I like the newer games better than the old ones...-Don't get me wrong, once i hooked up my NES, and beat super Mario Brothers 1,2,3, and the lost levels in 15 hours.... The old games ARE great, but i can only play it for its story line once, and once i have the game play down it the same everytime you play it.-I know its not this way with all of the next generation games, but the quality of the graphics and smoothness of its running with these graphics make it very easy to get into. Once you get over the graphics there are games, and i won't mention any names(GTA FRANCHISE), that don't offer too much of a storyline, but they offer online play. The online play pits you w/ or against other people around the world so everytime you play the situation is going to change, and really that's what attracts me.-I do however feel that there is a place for the classics. These games you can pull out with our friend or brother and talk about this memory or that memory or those times, all the while creating a new one at the same time. These games are classics for a reason, and today's greats will be classics one day for the same reasons. So all of these games on all the the platforms old and new should be celebrated!-I just decided to declare this day (January 2) International Awesome Video Game Day!SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!!!!

No matter what technology there is now, I won't forget how the likes of PacMan, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Excite Bike had brought me so many happiness, laughter and joy. Long live Atari and Sega.

I think a lot of the very old games were fun but only because you got obsessed at perfecting your skills..like pacman or space invaders or something. Games that had more of a level-based play like some of the early dos shooters were cool because they added the accomplishment element...Though I think the real reason why a lot of people think older games were better is because they were original-they were the first of their kind. Nowadays when a "good" game like halo 3 or oblivion comes out people say it's good, but these games are just copies of earlier prototypes...we've seen plenty of good shooters before the halo franchise and oblivion isn't really a huge improvement on morrowind besides with the graphics and a few of the gameplay elements. We're running out of ideas for good games, and it's really disappointing that I'm not really able to recapture the magic in any new games that I felt when I first played super mario 64.It could also be that I've outgrown games, though I don't really think this is the case...I can still play some of these old games and see what I felt was so great in them, I just inevitably start wishing there were such games nowadays. On the other hand, I'm sure if some of today's best games had come out 5 or 10 years ago before their predecessors, people would have been amazed. As it is, I don't really feel it's right to give new games better ratings than their older counterparts because, honestly, they're just not as original.

Edited by cangor (see edit history)

ya one can never forget the good ol' days no matter how "awesome" the new games are. Sometimes I pity today's generation as they will never get to really experience the old games! They cant bear to play a game which isnt in 3d!!!i can never forget super mario, contra and a whole lot of other cool games.