xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shotgun

Recommended P2p Software Recommend you P2P client

What I've been using a lot time since now, is Limewire, I think this P2P software is good for two things: simplicity and speed. Its interface is very complex but at the same time very easy to use it. You can search simultaneously, you can specify what type of file are you looking at, and finally, it has its own music and video player. You can also share files by IP, letting you share files with your friends. As I told you I had not tried other P2P softwares, but the speed I get is super, and downloading music is a thing of seconds. To finish I would like to add that is multiplatform, because its programmed in Java, so you need to have JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to install it, but don't worry because if you don't the Limewire installation will take care of that. I hope this was helpful for you, greetings. http://www.limewire.com/

Utorrent has plenty of hidden features such as a scheduler and lots of user interface goodies that just make it a really good program.It's also a small download and has very elegant protocols...It's very easy to use. My grandmother could use it and she's eighty and going blind.All in all, I prefer Utorrent as my p2p downloader.

Dude only limewire is good for music tbh.utorrent takes the cake easily for me. Super simple and fast. Very good set out and easy to adjust.I also heard bitcommet was good so i downloaded it and tried it but found it not as easy as utorrent.

I wouldn't use P2P software period, I see it as a security risk. But if I really had to choose I'd say utorrent. It's small, fast, easy, full of features. I heard a couple other torrents were decent like bitcomet but I've never used it before. I wouldn't use limewire period, I don't trust it.

I don't use P2P software to often but when I do I use utorrent. It's quick, easy, small, and reliable. Limewire is okay, I wouldn't reccomend it though. I've also used bitcomet in the past, it's not to bad.

I do a lot of p2p downloading and i feel utorrent is the best....I haven't tried all of them, but still i believe it because almost all my friends use it...I live in Hostel and It is the most popular p2p client here.....

It has many simple and impressive features.......

The scheduler lets you schedule your downloading as per your needs......

It lets you limit The downloading and uploading speed of individual downloads as well as all of them ......

you can limit the amount of uploading to a low limit ...just keeping in mind that the max. download speed is about six times the max upload speed (in utorrent)......

There is a lot of support for it...it warns you in case of a malicious download....regular updates are available.....what more do you expect from a p2p client......

Edited by klusk (see edit history)

If you are going to get a bunch of stuff at once (ex. NIN's newest album that they released for free) then go with BitTorrent. I have a mac and my old OS (10.2 ^_^ ) can only support one BitTorrent Client (BitTorrent 2 i think it is) so I am unaware to how good the other ones work.Limewire is great if you are missing one song off an album and you want it. I would be VERY careful of any software you download from limewire, because it is a breeding ground for viruses and trojans (If you have a mac, download 'em all, you will NEVER get a virus). When you download a torrent file for software, make sure that it is being seeded a lot. If the seeders are over 50 or so, it is almost never a virus.To all reading this: Remember, don't download anything illegal! :lol:

I agree, uTorrent is the best torrent client because of all the reasons mentioned above. There is also a version for Linux called kTorrent.Another great torrent client is Vuze (used to be know as Azureus); however I don't use it as much because of all the ads.For LANs there is nothing better than DC ... in all its forms (DC++, oDC, stronDC).

Well I think Limewire is better.
Bcoz utorrent can only handle torrents. Basically it doesn't have a search functionality for a network of its own. Like Vuze and Limewire.

Vuze I dont like bcoz of the conflicts it has. It was not compatible with the NVidia firewall (on my previous motherboard) and so it used to crash. I couldn't leave it overnight.

Though I must say, If its for torrents only I would still say utorrent would be my choice but generally I like Limewire :)

has anyone tried the new eMule Plus ?

Direct Link : http://www.emule.com/

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

Horses for courses:

A) Gnutella (Limewire et al) for fairly quick music stuff. I don't use it. Probably a good place for young noob to start.

B) BitTorrent - Anything you want, but you have to find a torrent file beforeyou can start. You need to be good at Googling. Fast if the file isrecent (<2 to 6 months seeding)on the basis of a cloud of flies around a chunk of raw steak!

C) ED2K | KademaliaThenewest network. Not designed for speed, but runs quietly in thebackground. Kademalia is the only network that doesn't need a server.

This is good for hard-to find and old files, but of course downloadsare slow since there may not be many sources and it won't let youleech. I like it.

D) Share - Japanese network. Helps to speak thelanguage. Lots of hard-to-get files and can be superfast if you live inor close to Japan. Not tried but lots of good reports.

E)PerfectDark - The Underground of file shareing. Needs a lot of disk space anda pretty quick machine. Think of TOR, if you know what that is. PerfectDark is the TOR of P2P. For the geeks and pirates! If I was rich and

had a fast spare machine I'd try it.

Somefolks swear by Azureus (renamed now to Vuze), but I found it too heavyto sit in the background. If you have a spare PC just used for P2P thenmaybe its OK. Not my thing.

Gnutella Network----------------Limewireis probably the best. Its easy. But be careful, Gnutella is watchedvery closely by the powers that be. Do not share a huge range of rippedmusic or you might get a knock on the door.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ 

Kademalia----------------Thenewest of the networks. Has a big advantage in that it can run withouta server or a torrent, and you can search the whole network from theprogram. Its designed to run quitetly in the background. Download isslow and you must share something or it doesn't work. (it shares yourdownlaods automatically to stop leeching).

Misunderstandings about P2P---------------------------Mostcomplaints about P2P are about speed. If you understand a bit more thenthat is nonsense If there are lots of sources or seeds and you have agood connexion, then the download can be a lot faster than almost anyweb site.P2P isn't a free web site. Its about sharing files. The "web site"is you and a few, or a few hundred others who all want the same file.One or more begin the upload, and others come in and help. As more comein, the speed goes up.A typical broadband connection might beable to download at 400 KBytes/second, but can only upload at 40 Kbytesper second. (an mp3 in 2 minutes, a full movie in 7 or 8 hours) . Soyou need at least 10, more like 400 uploaders to max your speed out.Thats why leechers (people who only download) are regarded as the scum of the earth. Without sharing it just doesn't work.Youalso need to understand about ports and port forwarding. You need tounderstand your firewall and get a good one. Its not a free ride.Onelast note. Almost all ISPs lie by omission about their packages. Theyadvertise 3, 6, 10 megabits per second. First that is megabits, notmegaBytes (divide it by about 10 to get megaBytes), and second, itsdownload only. Divide by roughly 10 again to get the upload speed.Thirdly, its the speed into their network. You aren't really on theInternet at that point. Now you have to get out into the big wideworld. Unfortunately, that is when the ISPs costs go up as they have topay for national and international bandwidth. They want to make as muchmoney as possible, so they share out a limited bandwidth amongst manyof us. So at 7 pm on weekday night it slows to a crawl on somenetworks. Fair enough, you ask the ISP for the bandwidth available totother countries divided by the average number of users. But many won'ttell you. Thats their profit margin, secret. So you have to ask aroundand switch, worry about quatas and contract lengths etc. Even worse,P2P is the only easily identifiable big bandwidth. So some ISPs arethrottling (limiting) the bandwidth for P2P. They could do it byeliminating spam e-mails, but that is harder. OK, so you ask your ISP

if they limit P2P bandwidth and what their policy is. But they won'ttell you in most cases, or some even just lie.So if yourdownloads are slow, don't immediately supect your computer or thesoftware on it. True, it could be that, but it probably isn't. Checkwith a friend who lives nearby and uses the same P2P find out whohis/her ISP is, and what their opackage is. Check your REALinternational bandwidth with an independent speed test like http://www.speedtest.net/

There are many, many, speed test sites out there, just Google and try.Compare results between them (their ISP may be useless). Some countrieshave independent ISP review sites, so check those out, but be scepticalas they rarely report international bandwidth.If your ISP is sucking you dry, then vote with your foot. Go elsewhere. Thats the only language some of them understand.-reply by Maynard

hey there are many p2p software such as bitorrent, transmisson torrent, u torrent, bit comet and i thins the fastest is bitcomet but u torrent is also cool and i use transmission for linux...............but then also speed depends on the location of the seeder or how near is he to your location...........there are many ways as given to boost up the speed but i think this all are just craps because i have tried many and the endresult is nothing or no change in speed.so never think of increasing the speed but the speed depends on the location of the seeder..............

I started using a Mac and I noticed nobody mentioned it yet.

I use transmission on my mac.
https://transmissionbt.com/

I like it because it is fairly customizable and very lightweight - all of the things I like best about microtorrent. I run oodles of programs on top of it and it just keeps trucking away without a care in the world.

The downside is that it is a little too light on the options side of things. I haven't found a place where you can go through a seperate ip (for secure and untraceable downloading) and some of the other options, such as port forwarding, are too hard to find.