xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
i_speel_good

An Ode To Gmail. A small text about how GMail is awesome.

Everyone wanted a piece of the e-mail pie.Microsoft made a free e-mail service.Yahoo! made a free e-mail service.AOL did so too.Each with their goods and bads, their limitations and restrictions.Until the savior came.Google decided to do the smart move and make a revolutionary kind of e-mail. Starting off with their beta program that made use of invitations, many people (including me) found the truly amazing experience and the easy to use interface of GMail it's key points to lead the e-mail game.GMail kept spreading like mad. Then, account creation went live, no more invitations. This was it.It was when everyone weighed Hotmail, Yahoo Mail or any other generic free email service with GMail to find out that GMail simply is the best. With it's ridiculously huge and expanding space of 7GB, its great search engine, GMail is one of the best e-mail services available.Also, GMail offers a great variety of settings, you can have filters that do whatever you want, like delete emails from someone annoying or anything like that. It's fully compatible with programs like Outlook Express and Firebird, you can have it forward your emails to any address (for example, your mobile phone's address, if your carrier gives you your own email and/or you can't access gmail from your mobile phone).You can also have multiple conversations in one nice log instead of a folder full of e-mails. You can add stars to your conversations or/and emails to remember anything important. You can even add one star on one part of a huge conversation to make just that part appear when you open the conversation!In short, it kicks butt.

Edited by i_speel_good (see edit history)

I agree! Ever since I bought an invite from someone on ebay shortly after they had opened it for invite only, I have been amazed with their service.They have saved my butt twice when I needed an important project. ( I used the firefox addon to make Gmail a storage place. )I am also very impressed with their customer support. Very fast response time with valuable info to get you going again.10/10 in my email book.

Yes. I too like GMail very much. Its simply superb. The main feature i liked is its browser integratedchat. We can chat with them whenever and wherever we want, no need to install those worst messengers(I hate them, but I don't know why). Now other mail providers like yahoo also integrating its chat serviceinto its website, but it is even worse than their messenger. For now, there is no competition for gmail, atleast in my opinion.

Ah... Google - Don't be Evil is probably the world's best large corporation of all-time...They're GMail is just wonderful to use and I always use it. I have given up on Hotmail and Yahoo! And GMail is all I need... :)But the thing with GMail, is that it loads too slowly for people with slower internet connections but in my opinion, the AJAX is worth the trouble (though I load it up in HTML if my bandwidth runs out)

Yes I agree that gmail has been providing the best service man can get for the online internet. But since many people are speaking only about good things about the gmail. I will say few things that I do not like with the gmail. First of all it is always in beta maybe this is good thing since it provides that application is in fact developing all the time. But nonetheless I become a bit vary since it is almost 5 years and it is still in beta from so prominent company like google. Also another important thing is that it provides in the TOS (terms of service) that google company doesn't guarantee anything of the data that you have or send and use with gmail. How can so serious I take Google as a really serious business provide that they cannot guarantee for your data and mails. They have backups and they have all those server farms and they cannot guarantee for few emails . Also they don't provide how long will service work and they keep the right to terminate service without any previous notice.I am using for 4 or it will be soon in the 5 year gmail as a leading mail and this is extremely serious thing. I don't expect that Google will stop providing this service tomorrow but nonetheless they should reassure users since there are certainly a lot of people that use it as a main mail. And what would happened if they stopped providing it just like that.