xisto Community
burgen

Free Software List

That's absolutly wrong. Posted Image

41768[/snapback]

Oups, then sorry :) But so, what is a "Freeware" if it isn't a free software ? :) I tryed to search with Google but they said a freeware is a free software... :rolleyes:

A freeware is a software you don't have to pay in order to use it.

A free software is a software which garanties you some essential freedoms :

- you're free to use it

- you're free to study it and adapt it for your needs (that imply that the software must be open-source)

- you're free to distribute it

- you're free to distribute your modifications

Freewares usually are closed source. And you can't modify them.

So they're not free softwares (and users should avoid them, because for example of problems with closed formats, on dependency to an editor, of spywares...).

You can read this page which explains this more detailled, and in a better english.

FREE SOFTWARE IS EITHER OF THESE:GNU FREE SOFTWARE: The GNU FREE SOFTWARE is a philosophy developed by GNU is Not Unix (GNU). It is by means allowing people to modify software to their own needs and send out the sources again and again. It's covered by the GNU GPL license or the copyleft software license. (GNU/GPL can be found in the link above). An example of GNU Free software is Linux.GNU FREE SOFTWARE IS FREE AS IN FREEDOM!FREEWARE: A software that IS OR ISN'T covered by the GNU GPL and IS OR ISN'T developed under the GNU philosophy. Freeware is in theory, a closed source software that is distributed for free but you don't get to modify it. An example of FREEWARE is Winamp or MSN Messenger.FREEWARE IS FREE AS FREE FOOD!xboxrulz

Why not just get on a P2P network (Like Kazaa or Bearshare or Ares) and download a program that you have to pay for then go to http://www.cracks.am/ and find the key for it so that its totally free? Thats what I do all the time and have never been given any hassle although I have never abused the product either so that they have no reason to suspect anything. :P

ummm... that's stealing. I don't think everyone wants to steal right?Am I right? or am I wrong? Still I always use GNU/GPL software anyways, so usually it's free of charge :PxboxrulzJOIN THE LINUX REVOLUTION!

Yes technically its stealing but would you rather have really good software on your computer or have crappy software (no im not saying freeware is crappy) and have your computer go caput? I myself would go with the better software and most of the time you get your use out of it then you just delete it :P

Why not just get on a P2P network (Like Kazaa or Bearshare or Ares) and download a program that you have to pay for then go to http://www.cracks.am/ and find the key for it so that its totally free? 

Because the program will still remain closed source, that is full of spywares, bugs, and security issues.If you like to have a computer infested, and controled by other people, it's your problem. But most people don't...

Open source software or GNU software are always being patched, even you can patch it up for yourself if you want.I love open source software, it feels more like a communityware than corporateware. xboxrulz