xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Add Another Bad Note To The Olympics

Heck I was in total shocked when I first saw this article, and then when I went to the Olympics website and watch the video of both the match and medal ceremony I was stunned. Although the video didn't show him actually putting it down you know he did it from the various pictures and him walking away from the medal. Sure it was bad taste on his part for even doing that, but you would have to watch the match and know greco-roman wrestling to see if it was justified or not. I don't know the time table to make a formal protest but I doubt it is very long and I doubt it could be made up either since there would be a lot of matches that would have to be redone or push him to silver, which I doubt. Either way this single event will be talked about for days to come.

Posted Image

Of course lets not forget about who age controversy either, I say slap a lie detector on them and that will tell the truth.

That was totally retarded on his part. How can someone be so ungrateful. The officials probably could have kicked him out the Olympics completely for yelling and for be so unsportsmanly. He did not even deserve to have the bronze medal, he deserved to take dead last. It is not wrong for him to feel disappointed with himself for not doing better if he knew he could do better, but it is wrong for him to throw a temper tantrum like a 5 year old spoiled brat when his mom refuses to buy him some candy or something. I can understand that not meeting his goal would be disappointing, but he just went too far in what he did. This is just another bad note at the Olympics as the title of the thread states. I hope that this type of thing does not happen again because someone decides they want to be afive year old once more.

Edited by Cloudd (see edit history)

Haha, you guys know how Scandinavians behave. :)Well it is his medal so in my eyes he can do whatever he want to do with it. I would be very disappointed, and he sure was! Even though he managed to get so far and actually get a medal it must be slightly sad to see the silver and gold right in front of his eyes... I have played a lot of sports and sometimes we could get kind of sad, mad and angry at ourselves. But he did this in a so horrible way! For all I care he could have went home to Sweden and throw it in the trash or the ocean. When someone handles a situation like this it just get worse. He could have did this in a less ungrateful way. After all it is his fault that he did not manage to go even further. The others are just better, and he just can not accept that. Even though he makes a huge deal out if this that is not going to help him at all.

A real sportsman shouldn't do such things...In sports even if you are good, you face bad times...A sportsman should have the courage to to face defeats, even if he deserved to win the game he lostOf course Olympics is a very big thing, and losing there might give disappointment far beyond our imagination....but still i believe throwing the medal wasn't any way of showing it...if he really thinks he deserved the gold medal..he should have shown that in the game and not by crying after the game...and winning the bronze is a very prestigious position...may be he wasn't even worth the bronze medal...not because of his game, but because of the attitude he has shown...there are great players who exit very early from the Olympics... much before they deserve...If they all start doing such things...i wonder what will happen to olympics...i wont be surprised if they ban him..a really stupid act ...

Yes that is indeed in poor taste. No matter how disappointed he is with himself, he should also remember his fellow competitors who did not even win a medal. I can imagine what they would give to be the ones with the medal in their hands. It's all right to cry, tear your hair and all, but it's disrespectful to place such a symbolic item on the floor.

It appears that the Athlete involved in the 'demonstration' has doubts about the 'officiating' of the Semi-final bout.His behaviour would not be the correct method of disputing the results. The best method is to win against the same competitor the next time they are in a match. they may not receive the Olym[pic Gold, but they would be able to support their claim of being better than the winner.No doubt that there will be a review, and like the Figure Skating/Officiating scandal of several years ago, hopefully a change in the process to eliminate the possibility of corrupt results.

Yes, I agree with most of you have to say, but I think if the match wasn't fair (I can't watch it - my connection is slow these days) he can do whatever he likes with HIS and if he likes he can toss it in the water or whatever you want to do. I know most of you will dissagree with me but it was a bitter defeat and I have at least a little consideration for what he did.

No, he's not ungrateful, imagine you deserved the first place and someone set you up not to get it and you tried SO HARD to get that medal, that medal was your life, you waited for that medal for 4 years, you knew you deserved it and what happens? You get 3rd place.

Yeah. Great! The third and fourth place are the worst ones to be, not in terms of popularity but in terms of psychology of your mind, for how little you missed the finals.

well shucks! i wish i was there. i woulda wanted to ask him if i could have it if he didn't want it

Yes, I agree with most of you have to say, but I think if the match wasn't fair (I can't watch it - my connection is slow these days) he can do whatever he likes with HIS and if he likes he can toss it in the water or whatever you want to do. I know most of you will dissagree with me but it was a bitter defeat and I have at least a little consideration for what he did.

No, he's not ungrateful, imagine you deserved the first place and someone set you up not to get it and you tried SO HARD to get that medal, that medal was your life, you waited for that medal for 4 years, you knew you deserved it and what happens? You get 3rd place.

Yeah. Great! The third and fourth place are the worst ones to be, not in terms of popularity but in terms of psychology of your mind, for how little you missed the finals.

Yeah, I think it was something about the judges did a mistake. I did not watch it either, so I have no idea. I am sure it is even more horrible when you know you should have went to the final - but the judges did a wrong decision. Wrong decisions happens all the time in sports, so it is nothing new. Yet I think the judges should think twice and make sure that the decision is correct when it is a very crucial one.

I am quite confused on this because I haven't seen the match myself.It's his medal and he can do whatever he wants with it. And I wouldn't question his reaction at all if it turned out that the judges made a mistake.The entire point that throwing away a medal won't do him any good and neither will it do any good to the other competitors is completely out of question here. Morals don't always rule a person's actions. He did what he wanted to and that probably gave him some psychological satisfaction. Good for him then, I guess. I said it was an obvious reaction if there was a fault on the judging side 'cause honestly, it hurts when you work so hard to get something that you completely deserve it, you work hard enough till the very end to deserve it and then it goes out to someone else.Making a huge deal out of this incident would be completely stupid for the officials of the Olympics.

This is so not sportsmanship. Though he did not achieve hos goal, he should not have done this infront of everyone. Be it politics or whatsoever reason, it is just not professional to do this, considering many of us here do not have a chance to get there at all. He should be thankful he won a medal for his country.

Have to agree that is in poor taste of leaving the medal or "putting" it on the ground 'in digust' instead of wearing it around the neck and having to bite the dissapointment if they were aiming for a Gold Medal.