xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miladinoski

How To Install Opengeu In Ubuntu OpenGEU is a distro based on Enlightenment and derived from Ubuntu

Do you like how OpenGEU looks?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First of all please note well that E17 is in beta phase, and can make your computer segfault (which by contrary - WILL NOT ERASE YOUR DATA - your computer will be restored to the statein which it was before it segfaulted), and if you don't want this to happen then don't install this!

I'll now tell you how to install OpenGEU when you already have Ubuntu (or Kubuntu and Xubuntu) installed already on your machine.

First of all I need to introduce you to OpenGEU, it's a relativelly new Linux distro which uses Enlightenment instead of Gnome or KDE or Xfce and is based on Ubuntu. It is primarily based towards eye-candy lovers who cannot afford (or do not like) a new computer and use Compiz efficiently on it. The great thing about OpenGEU (formerly GEUbuntu, but changed because of evading trademark issues with Canonical) is that it can run on literally�any 2D supported graphics card. It provides fantastic 2D bling-bling that your desktop just�begs to have. It has 2 themes by default, the first one is called Sunshine and the other one is called Moonlight (you can change to this one easily) and ofcourse there are other themes available, but these 2 are the basic ones and the developing and support is most concentrated in these 2.

The most amazing thing for me is that the wallpaper can be animated (which can be used to show the time without a widget) and it doesn't hog the processor at all! (As my connection is pretty slow these days, I suggest you to go to the official page, wiki page and Wikipedia page to view some excellent screenshots and leave feedback on the poll and possibly with a reply on this topic).

So, in order to install OpenGEU on top of Ubuntu 8.04 (I'll use the beta version of OpenGEU because I don't know if it's possible to downgrade to OpenGEU 7.10 (which is the stable version btw) and frankly said I don't want to try) you need a Ubuntu based system (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu studio etc.) and then you'll need to import the public key to your system, just open up Applications/Utilities/Terminal and copy/paste these simple lines:

CONSOLE
wget http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/geubuntu/gutsy/geu-key.key

sudo apt-key add repo_key.asc

sudo apt-key add geu-key.key

Now, you need to add the repos in your system, keep the terminal opened and copy/paste this into it:

CONSOLE
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Or if you're using KDE, instead of gedit - type 'kate' (sans the quotes), if you are using Xfce, use 'mousepad' instead of gedit, or if you wish so you could use vi or nano it doesn't matter :P

Now, at the end of the text editor, copy/paste this:

deb http://e17.dunnewind.net/ubuntu hardy e17 deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/geubuntu/ hardy/
Leave an empty line at the end.

Now you need to update and upgrade the system, copy/paste this lines ONE BY ONE and accept/agree with everything that shows up on the screen by typing y

CONSOLE
sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude upgrade

sudo aptitude install opengeu-desktop

Now, in order to finish the installation of OpenGEU, go to Applications/System Tools/OpenGEU - Configuration and there you'll be able to choose the theme and all :)

After you're happy with the settings - just logout from the system and when you're at the login window, press F10 and click "Choose session" and choose Enlightenment as your session. Then type your username and password and choose what to do with the window that shows up later, do you want to make OpenGEU the default (I'm sure you'll make it if you like it) or to make it just for that session (or to cancel).

That's all. I think you'll be able to change the themes and wallpapers and settings and stuff by your own, or if you run into a problem, then just PM me, I'll be glad to help you :P

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Problem with java in OpenGEUHow To Install Opengeu In Ubuntu

Hi there,

I've installed  OpenGEU on my laptop with Ubuntu and I'm pretty satisfied with it. There is one problem though - I can't run Java applications, which use Java Swing. Console apps written in Java work good. I've googled it, but can't find anything. Here is my error:

Exception in thread "main" java.Lang.Error: Cannot load javax.Swing.Plaf.Metal.MetalLookAndFeel

When I launch them using Gnome - everything's fine.

-question by Papi

How about jaunty (9.04)How To Install Opengeu In Ubuntu

Will this procedure work correctly on ubuntu jaunty jackalope? Or do we have to use 8.10?