xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miladinoski

Internet Explorer - The Worst Standards Compatible Browser Ever Made

Do you think will IE die and if 'yes' then when?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hate that peace of junk web-browser, and I don't know what THE HELL were Microsoft's devs thinking when they made it and decided it to be bundled with the OS and not making it nearly good enough as other variants.

I can say, yes, I understand that a browser needs to be incorporated into the OS, otherwise how could a man go and surf the web or download other browser? :) But I can't understand on what crack were the devs when they created IE 4 (and higher browsers, though I suspect that can be told about the upcoming IE 8, but we'll let the time show us what the destiny foretold) and all it's evilness around it. IE 4 included things like the channel bar which put adverts on to the desktop, horrible, horrible and when I say horrible, I mean horrible rendering and the worst thing was that it was a necessary requirement for lots and lots of apps available for Windows at the time which made the continued versions of IE 5, 5.5 and 6.0 reach the peak?of the web-browser share of around 85% in September/November at the year of 2003. Hopefully IE has a constant and steady drop of the share in turn of most notably Firefox on PCs/Macs, Safari on PCs/Macs and handheld devices (iPhone, iPod) and Opera on PCs/Macs and handheld devices (Opera mobile/mini). I also can understand why most of the people still use IE - they don't know about alternatives (yet), but I also can't understand why some people (I know a friend that does this, as do several other people I have spotted on the internet) still use?IE and they?know of other browsers, but still use their favoured browser of choice -- IE. Explaining that it makes the web-devs life harder doesn't matter, my friend says: "If they [web-devs] have problems with the browser not compatible with their site, why not make the site look good in IE and recommend users to use that browser to surf their website", after I explained to him that there are other OS's and other handheld devices that don't run IE, he just blows this stupidity to me: "Then they should switch to Windows and not use other OS's and as for handheld devices they should make Windows and IE too" and after telling him that it [Windows mobile + Pocket IE] exists he just says every phone should run that [Windows + IE] and ignores everything I say after that. That makes me mad, but that's what kind of friend I have: stubborn and stupid... :P

So, my conclusion is, not only IE makes web-devs life harder (no standards propriability), integrates stupid ActiveX and is only available for Windows and thus making it not free in both senses (free beer + free speech), but?it also makes people stupid!!

I don't know what should I do, maybe I should not nerve myselve with my friend and continue spreading alternative browsers...

Yup, that's what I'll do! :P

P.S. I really, really?hope that IE 8 will be great and not a failure like IE 7.

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

I also hate Internet Explorer. Although most people i know use it, and i think that the majority of PC users use it, it just doesn't do it for me. I use firefox because i like the "cleaner" look to it and it seems faster to me. I will try IE 8 but i do not think it will be very good considering how pathetic IE 7 is.

Your completly right, IE does make it so much more harder for "web-dev"'s to create websites. Having to check if my website looks the same in both Firefox/Opera/Safari and in Internet Explorer is a pain in the *bottom*. Why does Internet Explorer have to be different? There is no reason to do so. Websites which are coded to work in Firefox always look better then websites designed to look good in Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is still in the Table coding days, and other old coding which have became redundent now. I still use Tables for minor things, but not for the whole site; becomes messy and restricted.If IE8 was to use the same standards as Firefox/Opera/Safari, then that'll be super fanatastic, but I really doubt they will.For those people who still use Internet Explorer, they're obviously not web-devs and do not understand the torture your putting us through. Firefox, Opera and Safari are all superior web browsers with many more features which all work! Switch now!

Honestly, I don't have much of a difference between surfing with Firefox and surfing with IE, and I actually think it's sometimes harder to get web stuff to look right with Firefox than IE. I also have to switch to IE sometimes from Firefox because it refuses to play content for some reason. Also, I think IE 4 and 5 were pretty good browsers, it didn't really start sucking until after that.However, the main thing that sucks about IE, and the reason I really like Firefox, is that IE is so prone to getting viruses, and spyware, and stuff, and it's really annoying...Firefox just feels so much more secure. Also, Firefox has awesome addons you can get like addblock...which makes surfing faster and nicer. I can't see why more people don't switch to better web browsers like Firefox...but at the same time for most people Internet Explorer gets the job done...so whatever, it's their choice.

IE is just as bad as the people who use it!The IE addicts go out in the world and preach about IE and its "benefits".It sickens me :P its like the newest cult to follow!IE6 is really bad and annoying. heaps of people use it and dont bother to update to IE7 or heck swap to firefox, and then heaps of sites dont work in it :PI also find it annoying when people make sites and put in some annoying code that blocks anyone using any other browser... giving them a message "your browser sucks, SWITCH TO IE :)" and I just leave the site entirely and never return.A200

P.S. I really, really hope that IE 8 will be great and not a failure like IE 7.

I have tried IE 8. You can get the bete 1 version from microsoft if you validate some of their software as genuine.i was not atall impressed - most of pages i normally use, look messy, images ect were aligned wrong, and outside of their containing parents, and it didnt seem to think much of my javascript!

IE is also terrible being reliable (much worse with IE8beta1)
It crashes atleast 5 times a day if i use it all day.
It doesnt suport things like BLINK tag, it doesnt have support for some CSS attributes.
And its normally slower than all the other browsers i use.

Almost all people who have some knowledge with browsers hate IExplorer. Its a fact.Thousands of threads in different forums have the same opinion. IE is worst. And most of the people who hates IE are lovers of Firefox, One of the best browsersavailable today.Personally i love Opera. I am using opera for 5 years, and never think to change mybrowser. I use Firefox as a second choice. Opera is the fastest browser in my opionon.Now i am using Opera 9.52, the latest release. Opera is the only browser passed all thestandards tests like ACID test etc...No doubt IE is worst. The only advantage for IE is it is integrated with Windows. That is the only reason for its huge share in browsers market. Its sandards are worst. But mostwindows users doesn't know about this...and still using IE.But due to the reputation of MicroSoft, we can't say that IE will disappear. MicroSoft will difinitely do something to keep its market in internet browsers. Just let us wait.......

Gah, IE pisses me off bad! Ever tried making a site and having it work fine in FF or Opera and find it to crash and burn in IE!?!??! IT'S SOO F***ING ANNOYING!IE has sh*t fuctionality, sh*t speeds and yet people STILL use it! What also really annoys me is that heaps of applications like to intergrate IE into their UI, etc Steam!Microsoft should just GIVE up on it, please!Sam.

I think im the only one here who uses IE im guessing? I really dont mind using it. I don't see what the big fuss is about with it being "evil and horrible and its THE WORST IT SHOULD DIE AAAARRGGH". You're just as bad as the IE lovers who're like "OMG ITS GREAT ITS THE BEST THING EVAH FF SHOULD DIE!!".

I don't like using FF, but thats personal choice because I think it looks more cluttered than IE, and I cant get the same font size as IE (Yes, anal, but why change to something which slightly bugs me when its the same?) All the rest of it is the same to me, I dont even mind checking websites in more than one browser. However, saying "why does it have to different to the other browsers?!" is stupid, coz im sure IE came before FF, thus FF is different to IE, so if you're going to blame anyone technically you have to blame them.

I also find it annoying when people make sites and put in some annoying code that blocks anyone using any other browser... giving them a message "your browser sucks, SWITCH TO IE :)" and I just leave the site entirely and never return.

This one really pisses me off. Not that he was having a go at IE, but that people do crap like this. Because people do it with FF too, or they say "You have IE! It sucks! Get FF and this website will load faster!" People complain about IE shoving crap down ya neck (Which i've never had, and I've never been forced to install toolbars) when people do the same with FF. Hell, I even tried the website in FF. Still was crap and didn't work/load.

So, my conclusion is, not only IE makes web-devs life harder (no standards propriability), integrates stupid ActiveX and is only available for Windows and thus making it not free in both senses (free beer + free speech), but it also makes people stupid!!

To be perfectly honest? That poll makes you stupid...so does the bold thing

P.S. I really, really hope that IE 8 will be great and not a failure like IE 7.

I'm not planning on switching to IE8, like I did'nt switch with IE7. But thats because I hate changing/updating program xD But in all honesty, if IE pisses you off that much, why do you care about its future versions? I dont like FF, I have no idea what version we're on and dont care. And im not going to make a topic on why I hate FF and talk about it. Dont like it? just dont use it and stay away.

Explaining that it makes the web-devs life harder doesn't matter, my friend says: "If they [web-devs] have problems with the browser not compatible with their site, why not make the site look good in IE and recommend users to use that browser to surf their website", after I explained to him that there are other OS's and other handheld devices that don't run IE, he just blows this stupidity to me: "Then they should switch to Windows and not use other OS's and as for handheld devices they should make Windows and IE too" and after telling him that it [Windows mobile + Pocket IE] exists he just says every phone should run that [Windows + IE] and ignores everything I say after that.

Does anyone else see why this is hypocritical crap? You're pretty much telling everyone to stop using IE because its *BLEEP*, but then have a go at your mate because he says the same, just with something you didnt like? And no one can say "he didnt say that at all!" because...

I don't know what should I do, maybe I should not nerve myselve with my friend and continue spreading alternative browsers...

Yup, that's what I'll do!

...so given the chance, I do believe he would make it so IE doesnt work handhelds/at all.

Anyways, to sum up, people should stop complaining so much about IE and stop forcing people to switch to FF. But, like wise, it shouldnt be done about people complaining about FF and forcing them to use IE.

Just use what you enjoy, sod the rest!

Edited by Dagoth Nereviar (see edit history)

Haha Dagoth, that was stupid, you have no idea how much pain IE is to web-page makers and how much bigger pain are the people who use it constantly (and as I said people who KNOW about other browsers and still use it). IE is a pain, people who make sites which only work on IE are a pain (what about other platforms which cannot run IE, huh?) and Microsoft is a pain by not making it more standards compatible. I suggest for you to read this excelent website which explains how IE makes problems (it's not mine), and you can see ALL THE BUGS which IE makes and breaks the web-page rendering and makes the site unusable and ugly. Here it is: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/wrongWithIE/ Please just read it and test everything that is shown on the left-hand side.

Maybe you'll say IE is the most web-page compatible browser, and you'll be right on that one, but not knowing that people make IE only sites because IE is the most used browser (which is because it's integrated to the most popular OS).

I wouldn't mind people using IE if it was standards compatible and didn't break the page rendering on all of the valid html pages, but it isn't. If you have time please read that site and tell me your experiences with it.

...so given the chance, I do believe he would make it so IE doesnt work handhelds/at all.

I don't get you on this one, I was trying to say that yes there is a Pocket IE which is included with every Windows Mobile enabled smartphone and there are alternatives like Opera Mobile...

If you don't like using other browsers than IE - thats OK, but spreading lies about how IE is good or how other browsers are bad is not ok.

Hmm, I just hate IE because I do my own sites. I preview them in Opera and FF, theyre all good, then IE comes along and it looks like sh*t! But other than that I don't really mind it. It's also Opera and FF's features that blow IE out of the water.Sam.

I don't think it will 'die', because stupid microsoft still requires you to use Internet Explorer when you want to download patches and stuff from their official website. But really, that's the only time I use IE. Most of the time I use firefox. I just don't like IE.

I also dislike IE, when first I use FF, i thought that FF is so impressive, it can render web so fast. But IE, though you open it, it loads very slow and slow. Instead of that, IE always show problems like css, the table behavior, div, the javascript can use such an activex that can invite malware, virus, etc.IE is the worst browser i have found, but i rather thinks that i will alive anyway. Because IE is from Microsoft, dont you know how powerful microsoft is? The incompatibility of IE is raised so that it will become standard as you all know, but eventually because lack of security, features and slow, IE is abandoned but i am sure microsoft will build a new IE with all those problems patches or just buy the FF or google (for the chrome). It just like microsoft buying so many companies before, if you know. And for this reason, i can assure you that IE will last no matter what, but FF and chrome has shorter life span, because in everywhere money talks.