xisto Community
Animator

Web Based Os Fully online Remote Desktops [free]

This is something worth checking out!

Everyone is familiar with Desktop Operating Systems... Windows, Linux, MacOS etc...

...but do you know about online Web-based OS?

Basically, you open a (usually free) account where you are able to log in to see a fully functional desktop... all through your web browser. It's just like working on a "normal" computer except that, because it's online, you can access your work... and the programs from anywhere.

If you haven't seen this, it's probably better to have a live example. Here are four examples for you to try...

Desktop2: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

EyeOS: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

G.ho.st: http://g.ho.st/

StonewareOS: https://www.lenovosoftware.com/ (commercial)

Let me know what you think of this idea... the way of the future?

Let's know if you find any more.

I actually wanted to make something like this. My idea was almost like eyeos. Programmed in javascript and a library for developers to program software for it. I never got around to finishing it due to lack of time, but I guess these guys beat me to it anyway.

but the bad thing about a browser operating system would be that it would be too slow and laggy. I don't think that i would have the patience for something of that sort. I barely have any patinece with windows at the moment. Vista has to be really dumb and be unstable. Thats enough for me dont need any thing else on my brain. Thats one thing that they shouldn't have done is create an operating system that can be controlled in a browser, thats going to far.

but the bad thing about a browser operating system would be that it would be too slow and laggy. I don't think that i would have the patience for something of that sort. I barely have any patinece with windows at the moment.

Actually, it could arguably speed things up. I'll admit my own connection is slow because I'm one of them stone-age dialup users :) and, you see, many would point out that's my problem for having behind the times hardware. Fair enough.

...now if I took their argument no too much further, I could likewise say that everyone with crashy or slow machines is at fault for their use of inferior hardware. Hmmm? Whether this was true or not is besides the point. I could argue that this is the "cause" for every computer problem you experience.

So then, introduce a (futuristic) web based OS... the ones I mentioned above are only novelty value for now (although useful if you really think about it). If they were to make web based OS, then the computer you physically hold would not have to be anything much more than the keyboard, the screen and the mouse. All the "grunt" of your computer could be done at the supercomputer end... possibly even involving what is known as an "array" of computers for bigger tasks. So then, everyone plugs into their phone line and gets their own subscribed slice of supercomputer powered desktop. No more software piracy (you don't buy install disks, you pay subscription), no more virus (you only "get" front end access) and the price of computers plummets hugely (heck, they could make disposable ones for traveling like they do cameras)

This idea first popped into my mind about 1998 when I noticed the browser war with Netscape trying to sue Microsoft for forcing Internet Explorer as an integral part of Windows. I said it then and no one understood the concept I was trying to explain.

Personally, it's kind of too Big Brother for me, but it looks more and more the way things are indeed headed.

Ok i see where you are getting, i mean that would be nice and all but about ones privacy? if it is only controlled on one super computer then we don't have any privacy. Which is going agasint an admendment. Ok i now like your idea but its also still has tons of flaws. The subscription is nice no virus no program piracy, but i also don't think the subscription should be to high. I mean i only pay 20 dollars a month for dsl and i get alot of bandwith than most people do. then also that would defeat the purpose of networks in the house. I mean no more playing LAN only games and shared documents. What about those? I mean this is really that perfect, i mean you will be leaving out alot of things that started the internet. I like the over all idea just i dont want to leave networks behind i build and put together those things and i love doing it.

I actually wanted to make something like this. My idea was almost like eyeos. Programmed in javascript and a library for developers to program software for it. I never got around to finishing it due to lack of time, but I guess these guys beat me to it anyway.

You wouldn't be aboe to program something like in all java. I mean you also have to think about secity and java is not very secure language. I would suggest php or pearl. That might be something to think about. For one javascript does not have any databases, therefore, your information in strung out everywhere, pieces here and there. It would be slow frusrating and all the above. There is also loging in and user names, once again cant use javascript for that has to be in a dataase or someone is going ot be coding all the time non stop. and i'm sure that they will get up set. then you have to run prgrams, i think that is going to be the hardest thing to do on the web based OS.

You wouldn't be aboe to program something like in all java. I mean you also have to think about secity and java is not very secure language. I would suggest php or pearl. That might be something to think about. For one javascript does not have any databases, therefore, your information in strung out everywhere, pieces here and there. It would be slow frusrating and all the above. There is also loging in and user names, once again cant use javascript for that has to be in a dataase or someone is going ot be coding all the time non stop. and i'm sure that they will get up set. then you have to run prgrams, i think that is going to be the hardest thing to do on the web based OS.

You must understand, I wasn't talking about programming the entire thing in javascript, javascript would just do most of the work and run the programs, it would have a secure connection to a server and send and receive all data from that. Trust me, I know enough about how different languages work to know better to try that.

You must understand, I wasn't talking about programming the entire thing in javascript, javascript would just do most of the work and run the programs, it would have a secure connection to a server and send and receive all data from that. Trust me, I know enough about how different languages work to know better to try that.

Ok well i see what you are talking about, but will still argue the fact Javascript is not more secure than PHP. There is no way, i mean they made data bases just so that PHP is secure, to hold all logins and passwords, and other private data. There is no way that Javascript can handle any of that. It's to simple. To simple of a lanuage to hold Thousands apon Thousands of data. If and i mean if they even made Javascript that secure i wouldn't trust it. If you compare java and php's scritpting you can see right off the bat that its more secure.