xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spawn_syxx9

Avg Anti-virus Question Users please read

So I was updating my free version today and it told me that I had 5 things in my vault. I was wondering if emptying it would be the good thing to do. I mean do I just keep the virus' in there? Or do I empty it and are they then deleted?

Well, I recently emptied my vault, so... why not? :rolleyes:I mean, unless they are some very important files, that you may, for some reason need to restore, there is absolutely no need for you to keep them... They will b permanently deleted and removed from your hard drive, if you choose to empty virus vault...

If the files are important I recommend renaming the files so you can't accidentally execute them, and open them with a good hex editor to retrieve any important data that might be contained within the file. But if it's not important, there is absolutely no reason to keep the files on your hard drive.

Most likely it is harmless to delete stuff in the virus vault. If you know how to check which files will be deleted and if they are important then you know what to do. But a good way to test if they are important is to use you computer for a few days after the files have been vaulted. If you don't run into any problems then it is probably safe to delete the quaranteened items.

i delete my virus vault once a week and have had no problems with it. all it does it clear the virus off of your harddrive for good. the only reason its holds the virus instead of deleting it is so that if you need the file later then it is there. but i suggest clearing it out at least once a month and if it deletes a file by mistake just surf around on the net for it and download it simple as that :P

ALrighty. Then I shall be routinely emptying the virus vault. :PWhy would you have important files in there?

Well sometimes a virus can infect a system file that you need and as long as the virus stays in there your computer can read the file but the virus cant activate itself. But if you empty out your virus vault and that file is deleted then some programs on your computer might not work. I know from experience because i had a virus infect my run32.dll file which makes everything run on my computer and i accidently emptied out my virus vault :P so i had to search around to get a new copy of run32.dll but other than that i havent had any problems with it deleteing files :P

Gotcha. Well at the same time my run32.dll apparently is infected but not seriously so I didn't do anything about it. I just wanted to make sure that if I empty the vault, that the virus doesn't return to the system.

The virus shouldnt return to the system unless it came from a downloaded file and you download the file again. However, if you do delete the run32.dll file your background will be lost and you will be unable to open internet explorer or any type of browser for that matter plus other things. Just a quick warning before you delete the file for good. :P

Please don't post anything that has to do with pirating! Thanks! But Anyways...I use Norton Internet Security, but I did used to use AVG Free.I recommend emptying your virus vault anyways because it would not affect your system if you are actually having virus on your computer! If AVG detected it, you should erase it immediately! That would be my opinion!~ D O O G A

I have used avg since the day i discovered it and have never had a problem with deleting the files in the vault. ONe thing though if it is an important file such as your rundll32 then do a search and download a clean version of it register it with your computer and delete the one in the vault. Make sure it accepts the new file before wiping the vault as well lol.

Hey Guys,Trystim is correct. Here's a few tips when using any anti-vir program. First, if you using XP & ME, turn OFF "System Restore" before doing anything. Second, check microsoft. com to see if the file you are going to deletE is a required system file (ie. "dll" or "exe" file). If so, download & register (OR RESTORE FROM THE WINDOWS INSTALL/RESTORE CD & then register it) a new copy of it to your computer. Third, use the anti-vir prog. to wipe out the old file from the "vault".Failure to do these steps will sometimes result in the anti-vir program "messing up"/crashing the OS or other application which needs the file you removed.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

how to restore files from virus vault?

Avg Anti-virus Question

Trozen horse virus infected whole of mylaptop. and my most of data z in virus vault. I wana restore it but I'm not able to do so. Please help:-(

-reply by vishal

Thank you so much for your help.

Avg Anti-virus Question

It helped me out a lot when I had a virus. I appreciate it:)