xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
armondtimesbelize

Can Someone Rate My Site? Well i created this site about a month ago and i need some tips

I'm not as advanced as other website designers, but about a month ago i designed this local news website. I need someone to rate it and tell me what they think and give me some pointers to fix it up or even change the look completely. I've changed the design about 3 times already. It contains local news about my home country Belize and i only take about an hour to update daily. Any pointers, suggestions, questions i will appreciate.

Armond Times Belize

About the front page, I think it's not quite a good idea to have a large Google advert right at the top of the page. People running on 800x600 resolution will find that the aforementioned ad takes up too much screen real estate.

Second, stat counters don't really belong in professional sites anymore. The bulk of the visitors a site receives are not really interested in how many other people have visited the same site. You, of course, might find a use for this so try to keep it invisible; non-admins are better off not seeing it. Marquee are also, generally, a sign of amateurism. There are very few who can use the marquee HTML element tastefully; developers, in general, are better off not using it. IMHO, it is not remotely vital to your site since it just contains info about your site and solicitations for potential advertisers to support your site.

Another point is that the front page has too many ads. There's a Google ad in the header, an advert ad in the left "ear", Bravenet stat counters in the right "ear", yet another ad disguised as a welcome message in the marquee and links to Bravenet at the footer. If your aim is to gather advertisers, these things will, most likely, drive them away than attract them.

The front page is rather devoid of articles, pictures, content, in general. Most news sites would have the "news of the day" on the front page, with links directing the reader to other, more specific content. Now, people would have to click on a link to see any actual content but, IMHO, it is rather disorganized. For the full impact of the disorganization, try expanding all the links. Wouldn't it be better to have those articles on different pages than all in one page? I mean, god, even newspapers don't print out a single sheet!

With that, I'd like to finally point out that this is not a news site. I clicked on a link and found that it directs me to 7 Belize articles. Your site seems to me more like an aggregation of summaries of news articles, an index or directory, if you will. The images used in your site are also material copyrighted by Natural Lights Productions and, unless you have acquired redistribution rights, I think it is quite illegal to use those images in your site.

With those reasons, I think, all in all, I'd rate your site a 3 out of 10 stars. Sorry :)

The huge advertisements make the website look very unprofessional. Why on earth are you using bravehost? Switch to Xisto! It's ad free!I also don't think it's a good idea for you to hide the news. Most news websites have summaries and news leads to the most breaking news stories on the front page, and a link for readers to click to read more. This works because news websites are supposed to give readers important news and headlines at first glance so that even the busiest reader knows the breaking news by one glance at your website. Categorizing your news under different channels and making your readers only get the news by clicking the channels makes it look more like an archive of news than a news website.Furthermore, despite you categorizing your news under different categories, the stuff you put under each category are not what I would expect, so the whole navigation is really misleading and confusing. For example, why are radio channels under the Visual Arts section? They are pretty much unrelated!I also agree with the above, that your so-called news website is not a news website at all. It is simply a collection of links, videos, pics and articles collected from different websites. If all you want to do is point out important news and updates by showing people where to get the news, you should create a blog. A news website is when you and whoever else is behind the website source and write your own news stories.As for the design, I suggest you visit other news websites for ideas, but first of all, you must be sure of what you really want. Is it a news website, or a blog? Only then should you actually work on the design.

Well, it looks nice, the way it is quite simple without flashing images or anything, but i think it could do with some more information about what the site is as the scrolling text is quite slow, and many visitors will not want to sit there waiting to find out what the site is.It could probably use a navogatio bar, for links and maybe a site search (this could be on the left of the site)then on the right have a information bar containing links to popular articles, and updates ect.I think you should emphasise th +/- in the list of articles, as many people may not notice this, or understand what it does, and therefore not be able to access the information. although i liked the idea. maybe add a floating information box saying how to expand and collapse the articles, which appears when people first see the site, then disapear after say, 8 seconds.The site stat counter is a bad idea, first of all, it is black, and seeing as the sites background is white, it looks terrible. Also, the site doesnt have a great amount of hits yet, so i would suggest either gettng rid of that completely, or re styling it, and getting rid of it until you have a few more views.

About the front page, I think it's not quite a good idea to have a large Google advert right at the top of the page. People running on 800x600 resolution will find that the aforementioned ad takes up too much screen real estate.

I would have to Strongly agree with the above. Also "bravenet" tisk tisk and too,
Makes me think of the NY Times with that logo.
Sorry but on a 1 to 10? 2.5

The site looks professional at first glance, which is what you want with these kind of websites. You want to get your audience to know, your not a pretender.the extendable sections at the bottom are not 100% clear that they are. But nevertheless are good features, instead of getting a really long page. You've got tons of sections, which is great for this style of website.Wish I could of wrote more about this as this is truely a very professional and well designed website, but tiredness has gotten the better of me.Overall score: 8/10 (Huge thumbs up!)

At first glance, I thought "aww wtf?" because of the fact that if this were supposed to BE a professional site, I thought that there would be a registered top-level domain...Then the site loaded up... I like the design, and since I have ABP enabled can't see a single advertisement, and as a good thing, none of the tables are out of place...Your website is TOO plain... just several tables with dark borders isn't going to cut it... have a bachground etc... But because it is for a professional newspaper site, don't "overcolour" it...Also (which to me is the most important, which can mean a professional site to some site a random person scribbled up in 2 minutes) make sure that it validates as valid XHTML/HTML... Remember to put in a DOCTYPE, if you are using XHTML tags that don't have closing tags (i.e. <meta>) are self-closing (i.e. <meta name="stuff" content="stuff" />)For design = 8/10 simple, but effective, needs a tiny bit of "extra" colour or graphics... But don't overdo it..For code = 1/10... Over 800 errors and over 100 warnings simply isn't good... It isn't good for ANY website...Overall (Not an average) = around about 6-7/10 its the not-validating code that brings it down...

hey first of all ur site is ver ygood and simple...but i think u should get a script like wordpress running on your website... btw, do u have any CMS in ur site ??second, many links are not clickable. then why have you placed them there ?

I would have to agree that setting up a blog like website would be more of a better option and will help make it more professional. Not to keen on the layout because your don't have any separating between content and links and yeah the google image just throws off the whole website especially with the background you picked. If a blog is not the way to go then I suggest looking at some templates at http://www.opendesigns.org/ and http://www.oswd.org/ to find a better and more organized layout

The website isn't bad for a first attempt, but to be quite honest, it certainly isn't a website I would think was professional. Your frontpage is just background image with some text and images slapped over it. One thing that would really define the look of the webpage is if you create a layout for it. Get some layers with alternate colors, and something a little bit more fancy than a 3 celled table with 100% width for your content. You can get creative!

First, the text color and background color does not match, it makes peoples eye hurt reading the textI would think that the above menu and logo design, (in the center) it is good and a side of creativity, but it does not match the design below it, the video, text and google image does not have a proper design. give a distance between youtube video and the menu, then give some kind of menu border of a kind. If the video is designed to be look at left side, try to set the width to smaller size, and also the left the google flag it is too big

the site is alright but yeah the big ads do make it look unprofessional. Xisto is the best hosing service, its free there aren't ads i mean how could anyone not use Xisto lol!

Guys...I switched the site to Xisto...please tell me what you all think about it now! I welcome all comments, suggestions, etc. The site has little more interesting content now and i'll be adding more features...but i really want to hear what you have to say...so check it out now!

Armond Times Belize (Official Website)