xisto Community
Mermaid711

Why Are People With Darker Eyes Considered Less Atractive?

Posted Image

Well, I was out looking for makeup the other day (I'm in color guard so I have to wear it- it's a requirement.) and as most of you know my eyes are an orangy-amber color, so finding makeup that makes that color stand out is a pain in the *bottom* (but I love the color it looks when they look a bright amber so it's okay.)

Well anyway I got frustrated at the store and so I went online and looked up stuff about eye color and what tones look good where and what not, when I came across this interesting Panama-based website. It's URL is http://www.newcoloriris.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t and it advertises a surgery in wich they implant something in the iris. Well on the site it says people with brown eyes and darker eyes in general haven't typically been quite as successfull in many fields (but mostly acting and modeling) as people with lighter colored eyes. So I go do a little research. Is this true, or just a marketing ploy? The fact is, it was true. Brighter eyes are prefered over darker eyes, especially in the entertainment and fashion industry. And the cruel irony of it all is that, I'm hopefully going to be going into the acting industrie.

Now am I saying that darker eyed people are ugly? Absolutely not. I think that Jessica Alba is beautiful and she has chocolate colored eyes. Anjelina Jolie is pretty and her eyes are very dark. And not to mention the brown eyed men, Joe Jonas, Josh Dumel, and many other men. However in my life I've only gotten 3 compliments on my eye color. Yes, only 3. And one of those three compliments was given by someone who probably hates me now. Am I asking you to comment on my eye color? No. Because I don't like being lied to.

Now would I ever have the new color iris surgery? Probably not. They show a video of the surgery on their website and I'd be affraid that I'd be the lucky person who goes blind. Would you? What are your thoughts?

Edited by Mermaid711 (see edit history)

I would have to say that is completely false because if someone basing your eyes on either modeling, acting or anything else that is just as messed up as judging you if you have big breasts and a tight butt and junk like that. Of course, a person can tell a lot from your eyes though such as confidence or determination stuff like that. I would say that getting eye just to change your eye color is as stupid as getting your breast enlarge by like 10 cup sizes or something like that as it is not necessary.

Why not stop the nonsense, by the way? I'm not referring to the post, but to the surgery itself, of course.Eye color depends on the amount of melanin present in the iris (the more melanin it has, the darker the iris will be). Actually, if you're able to look beyond these stupid ideas concepts about the brighter eyes being more beautiful, we easily come to the conclusion that darker eyes are BETTER.They have more melanin, which prevents things like UV rays from entering the eye in great amounts, minimizing the risk of mutations, etc... Also, they decrease the amount of light reflected, resulting in better accuracy. Of course, these differences are so tiny that one does not usually even consider them... but I think they're much more worth referencing than the "beauty side" of the eye, which is purely cultural...Why would anyone want to change the color of the iris??? Why the hell would anyone wear colored contact lenses? Do these people even know that contact lenses harm the eyes?So, I'd never undergo such a pointless procedure (unless there was proof of benefits). Also, my eyes are brownish-amber color :)This world is getting more and more about the looks everyday that passes...

If you have to wear make-up, then why are your decisions behind what make-up to use dependent on how your eyes will appear afterwards? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "color guard," but i doubt it's something where people's eyes are the center of attention. I don't believe that your facts concerning prosperity are accurate. Have you ever considered that maybe those with darker eyes chose other and probably better carreers instead? Perhaps the fact that you are interested in similar fields and because you think your eyes are dark is what causes you to believe more than you should.

Well I have not got dark eyes, (guess what colour...) so I have no idea. Personally I can not say that some colour looks better than others - because there are so many different eye colours, lots of different shades. Even though two persons for example both have green eyes, their eyes can look completely different because there are so many shades of green.When I see someone with dark eyes, for example dark brown I think it is gorgeous! There are some that has that colour here, but not that many. When I went to South-America people constantly stared at me and my eyes, and made comments like "Oooh, she is so pretty. She looks like a little porcelain doll! Aahh, those eyes." (No, I did not like that.) My point is that it is different views of what is beautiful or not. As you say yourself there are tons of celebrities that looks marvellous - even though they have dark eyes. Such as Jessica Alba. Sophia Bush has hazel eyes, and I think she looks stunning. I would never take any sort of surgery on my eyes. Just the thought of becoming blind is more then enough to scare me off.I am just throwing in that bronzes, golds, greens as well as copper looks great with darker eyes. "Champagne" is also a gorgeous colour... but take your skin tone into consideration, because some might suit this and some do not. Earthy and natural colours is the safe way to go for everyone. :)

My points exactly. I think anyone who is not albino or has different colored irises should NOT get the surgery. It makes perfect sense for an albino because it protects their eyes, preventing the blindness that most albinos face.However using it for cosmetic reasons is absolutely absurd. Do I want blue or green eyes? Yes and no. Yes because I want what I can't have (well I guess I could have it lol) and because I absolutely love those colors. No because I don't want my vision to deteriorate. All but one or two of my light colored eye chums has to wear glasses or contacts. You know why? It's the same thing with lighter and darker skined people. It's how light colored people get sun burn all the time and most of the time darker skinned people don't. I love having 20/20 vision. I wouldn't exchange it ever. Not even for eyes that change whenever I so please.And no truefusion, I looked at stats from like seven different sites. 5 out of 7 said that people with lighter eyes typically are given more oppourtunities. Why? Hell if I know. Is it right (morally)? No. But we can't change people's perspective and preference. If I was an employer I wouldn't turn people away for this reason, because typically brown eyes see better.And as for SM's comment, I agree. I remember a comment from one of my ex boyfriends. He said anything bigger than a handfull is a waste, and being a larger busted woman myself, I know what kind of pain something like that is on your back. It's horrible. And stupid. Very very stupid.However I would consider getting the surgery done if they had glow-in-the-dark implants. . .or implants that chang accoording to your mood :)

Edited by Mermaid711 (see edit history)

are blue eyes better than brownWhy Are People With Darker Eyes Considered Less Atractive?

I'd just like to say that I have blue eyes with a bit of green in them and one of my eyes is half brown and half bluey green. I don't like them infact I wear brown contact lenses every day. I love brown eyes. Whats with americans preferring lighter eyes!.If you came to ireland and you had luvly big brown eyes they would be the favourite!!This is just another example of people wanting what they can't have including myself.Most of the irish population have blue/green eyes and prefer brown eyes and most of the american population have brown eyes not to mention all the other countries and want blue/green eyes. Bill Gates,Angelina Jolie,Jennifer anniston have blue/green eyes but eva longoria,jessica alba,collin farrell and Barack Obama have brown eyes.These people are all successful.Your eye colour dosent determine your IQ level its just cosmetic!

Unfortunately I have a dillema I wear these contacts everyday and have been with my boyfriend for a year now and I actually don't think he has even realised!what do I do!!I cant just spit it out incase he thinks I'm a liar!weird problem ive got here!!HELLLLPPPPP MEEEEE

-reply by Carla

Angelina Jolie has blue eyes. However, I understand your reasoning. I think the safest thing to do for know is study your craft (acting) or focus on your body (modeling) and wait until there's a safer way. They will no doubt come up with a way for brown eyed people to have blue eyes. But when everyone has them, I wonder if they'll be so desired.

Your eyesWhy Are People With Darker Eyes Considered Less Atractive?

I think you're eyes are beautiful!  It's not only because they are very similiar to my eyes but because you have the best of both worlds.  You have those mysterious amber eyes and those rare green eyes, all wrapped into one.   I've read your other posts and I can say most people probably like lighter eyes, but most people like blonde hair too... Does that mean you should bleach your hair, and wear contacts and be like them?  NO.  Beauty is much deeper than that and who wants to be like everyone else?  Agencies are always looking for that different look, and you just might be the next greatest thing.

This discussion is very pointless actually. The law of nature is such that people always long for things they don't have or they feel is special.In a country where the majority population has blue/green eyes,they would actually love to have brown eyed people since for them its quite rare.Ditto reverse for a brown eyed population majority.So both colours will be respected by different people,since novelty is always beautiful.

And also,most people with blue/green eyes have blonde or brown hair.And most people with brown eyes have black hair.Now you can say that black hair is more beautiful and mysterious than blonde/brown hair,infact making them more attractive looking.

But,noone thinks like that.Beauty lies in the entire personality and not individual traits

-reply by RAKESH.R

Why are people with darker eyes considered less attractive?Why Are People With Darker Eyes Considered Less Atractive?

First of all, eye shape is the most attractive or unattractive feature when evaluating eyes.  Big eyes are desired.  Smaller or slanted eyes are not. 

Secondly, I absolutely love brown eyes, and I'm very opinionated about it.  My natural eye color is light blue, and I've always hated it.  Big light blue eyes.  They blend into my face.  There's no depth or mystery about them.  They appear cold and "nowhere".  That's why I, like the other girl above, wear chestnut brown contacts every single day.  Brown eyes are gorgeous, mysterious, hypnotic, alluring, intriguing and incredibly sexy.  Off the top of my head - Catherine Zeta-Jones, Cindy Crawford and George Clooney are three of the most attractive celebrities around.  Brown eyes! 

Thirdly, if a brown-eyed person had that surgery to change their eye color, they would be making the biggest mistake of their lives.  If blue eyes were so great, the whole world would be wearing blue contacts but they're not (see, I'm wearing brown!).  Look at all the beautiful brown-eyed people out there.  No surgery to turn blue and no contacts!  Embrace your beauty!

Why are people with darker eyes considered less attractive?Why Are People With Darker Eyes Considered Less Atractive?

Folks, I have to disagree with those who have said that dark colored eyes tend to come with less vision problems. 20/20 vision is not inherent to dark eyes. Your eyeball has to be the right shape in order for you to have perfect vision. If your eyeball is too long or too short, THEN you have vision problems.

But to address the original issue, I think it's important to consider what culture you're in at the moment. As someone else has said, if you're in a country where light eyes are more common, then someone with dark eyes will likely get more of the flattering attention.

I have light green eyes and love them. I also love blue eyes. And I love brown eyes. They're all beautiful, especially if one knows how to play the color up.

-reply by Jennifer

Why are people with darker eyes considered less attractive?Why Are People With Darker Eyes Considered Less Atractive?That is totally crazy. I use to believe blue eyes were just better than mine. I have very dark brown eyes. I was even wearing colored contacts when I met my fianc?. He changed my way of thinking all together. He told me that he has always been more attracted to brunettes with brown eyes. He made me feel beautiful and very proud of my dark brown eyes. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I would never change the color of my eyes. Yours are beautiful as well, I absolutely love hazel eyes. My fianc??s are hazel. They are dark blue with flecks of gold. Awesome! Women can play up their eyes to make them even more beautiful. I found eyeliner and mascara go a long way. Just keep trying new eye shadow colors till you find the one you like the best. -reply by LoriKatie

I think dark brown eyes are the most beautiful.  I'm from an Italian family, and have dark hair and olive complexion, but I have blue green eyes which I really dislike, as they look weird in my face, and also with my black lashes and eyebrows.  So, I wear brown lenses, and when I wear them, I see that these are the eyes I should have been born with, as my face suits them, but doesn't suit the light eyes.  Whenever I wear my clear lenses, people think I look weird, and think I am wearing blue contacts!  Funnily enough, my little son and daughter both have luscious dark brown eyes - and they are so gorgeous.  I honestly don't know why there is such hype over blue eyes - dark brown are so full of warmth, and so sexy and alluring.