xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Its's Official Microsoft Is Done With The Windows Operating System

Wow and I thought this one website was joking around that Microsoft plans to do one more Windows Operating. I don't know if Windows 7 will be the last one or not but the project goes by the code name Midori and it is based on the Cloud computing concept, which by the way Dell is trying to copyright this name for. All I know about cloud computer is that it will be internet based operating system meaning that buying CD's based software could end. Heck we are already seeing it in which yo ucan download full license software without hte use of a CD (legally). Right now Microsoft is in the talking phase of this project however, with Bill Gates leaving Microsoft in June, his legacy Windows, will go with him as the 21st century really kicks off with technology.

SOURCES

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Nope, I don't believe that will happen in the nearest future.

First of all - Internet access isn't spread worldwide (atleast not now) - so that means if I want to use my computer at a place without internet access I couldn't access my OS, and what good is an OS if I can't access the data.

Second of all - doesn't an "internet OS" require a browser? And doesn't a browser require a platform?On what platform would that browser stand?

And finally third of all - do you think Microsoft will abandon something that is successfull for 23 years? (from 1985 or so). Do you think that it will abandon a product that is used in 90% of all the computers in the world and make them switch to their brand new platform?

Those are the 3 things that make me not believe that "Midori" will happen.

(BTW, "Midori" means "grean" on Japanese :) )

I dont know about that. microsoft leaving windows. I dont really know. I could believe leaving vista... hehe... I honestly don't understand why they would abandon windows. unless they were starting from the ground up, redesigning the operating from dos to GUI. And as for Midori the web based operating system that's meant to be its replacement, I really don't know. I know that in Australia you wouldn't be able to get affordable web access that would enable you to be running a web based operating system. I mean for $60 a month I get unlimited usage... just after the first 12gb your speed is capped to like 56k... I think its Ironic, I made a post yesterday or the day before about ajaxwindows.com, a web based desktop (simmilar to what I would expect midori might be) I think there's probably a misunderstanding somewhere as to what midori will be. Still it will be interesting to see.

wow is right! anything to incorporate a bigger internet presense. technology like this is going to open up the competition.does anyone else smell laysuits up the ying yang? microsoft will definately start buying up the competition soon and try to stop dell and the other bigger companies from getting a head starti wonder as well what sort of doors are going to open up for the little guy and what sort of money can be made by it on the net from marketers since it does have the potential of creating new business on the web.now if applications and operating systems are going to be hosted on the internet, then does that mean you will have to have a continuous access on the net with a high speed line? is this going to change how computers are going to be built in the future? does this mean that these computer companies will take responsibility to proiding high speed access to enable users to use this technology? if so, how? i don't personally see a use for this technology unless people have at least a t1 connection or faster to access data.also, will this new technology mean a new type of identity on the internet that will always be tracked and recorded? and when a user enters their part of the internet, they will know everything about you including your blood type? :) i mean, if you want to access the well needed data, they are going to have to know who you are before they allow you to access it right unless the data is unconditionally shared by everyone because it's free. so will we not be able to hide our own identities anymore? that will be a shame and will leave us vulnerable. if this is the case, this is what the government was waiting for. hey, maybe we will all have to apply for an internet license through the state soon just like we have to have a license to drive. except now, licenses are being used as a form of federal identification more and more instead of the original idea of just having one to drivewill the computers of the future be free just as an incentive to access the data on the internet that you have to pay for each use or have a yearly membership. how will this affect teenagers and kids who don't have the means to pay for anything online?i'm curious what areas of influence and impact this will have on others and how this will affect how we see the internet and computers right now compared to what is to become in 2 years.good catch s.m.- i never heard of this technology before. it would be nice to see if ibm can become a front runner to this new vision and tehnology. as far as dell goes and trying to get a copyright for the name "cloud computing", that doesn't mean didly. every company will probably have their own name to describe this new technology and vision for the future.now what about apple? how is this going to affect them? will it? man, i have a lot of questions. anyone have opinions? :P

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Nope, I don't believe that will happen in the nearest future.

First of all - Internet access isn't spread worldwide (atleast not now) - so that means if I want to use my computer at a place without internet access I couldn't access my OS, and what good is an OS if I can't access the data.

Second of all - doesn't an "internet OS" require a browser? And doesn't a browser require a platform?On what platform would that browser stand?

And finally third of all - do you think Microsoft will abandon something that is successfull for 23 years? (from 1985 or so). Do you think that it will abandon a product that is used in 90% of all the computers in the world and make them switch to their brand new platform?

Those are the 3 things that make me not believe that "Midori" will happen.

(BTW, "Midori" means "grean" on Japanese :P )

I am not saying that this will happen in two years, but I would say in maybe 5 years you will be hearing a lot more about this as to how this cloud computing is even done. Remember I am speculating on what or how this non windows operating system works, for all I know it would need a very basic installation disk just to connect you to the internet and stuff like that. Besides the hardware alone is going to take a few years to design because it would seem that hard drives would become obsolete or they would become online RAM or something like that. I think Vista alone and what I just said about the hard drives being obsolete would make it possible. Of course look at all the thinner laptops that are coming out, CD-ROMS are about to become obsolete in a few years now. Just have to wait and see what cloud computing is all about.

If you look at the wikipedia article most of the technology is set up it is a matter of consolidating it into separate programs through an operating system or use those concepts and build them to be incorporated into that OS.

I dont know about that. microsoft leaving windows. I dont really know. I could believe leaving vista... hehe... I honestly don't understand why they would abandon windows. unless they were starting from the ground up, redesigning the operating from dos to GUI.

And as for Midori the web based operating system that's meant to be its replacement, I really don't know. I know that in Australia you wouldn't be able to get affordable web access that would enable you to be running a web based operating system. I mean for $60 a month I get unlimited usage... just after the first 12gb your speed is capped to like 56k...

I think its Ironic, I made a post yesterday or the day before about ajaxwindows.com, a web based desktop (simmilar to what I would expect midori might be)

I think there's probably a misunderstanding somewhere as to what midori will be. Still it will be interesting to see.

Well we know they are supporting XP til 2014 and Vista and Windows 7 past that so maybe when XP is gone they will be pushing for this cloud computer's at that time. You do however, bring up a interesting question and that would be price, would it be a subscription based fee or can you just buy it and that be? Who knows, because of how unknown cloud computer technology is and how vague the term is as well.

wow is right! anything to incorporate a bigger internet presense. technology like this is going to open up the competition.

does anyone else smell laysuits up the ying yang? microsoft will definately start buying up the competition soon and try to stop dell and the other bigger companies from getting a head start

i wonder as well what sort of doors are going to open up for the little guy and what sort of money can be made by it on the net from marketers since it does have the potential of creating new business on the web.

now if everything is going to be hosted on the internet, then does that mean you will have to have a continuous access on the net with a high speed line? is this going to change how computers are going to be built in the future?

i'm curious what areas of influence and impact this will have on others and how this will affect how we see the internet and computers right now compared to what is to become in 2 years.

good catch s.m.- i never heard of this technology before. it would be nice to see if ibm can become a front runner to this new vision and tehnology. as far as dell goes and trying to get a copyright for the name "cloud computing", that doesn't mean didly. every company will probably have their own name to describe this new technology and vision for the future.

now what about apple? how is this going to affect them? will it? man, i have a lot of questions. anyone have opinions? :)

Well, we know Dell and Microsoft knows something or they wouldn't be putting their foot out like that, but as for lawsuits, I doubt it. As Dell would be designing the hardware for this technology and Microsoft designing the software for it as well. Of course, the race will be on for people to start buying the small companies who will be dealing with this. The problem is money and only the big names in the computer industry will be risking it and you bring out the next big question and that is security. I only can imagine the layers of security that will have to go into something like this and I have feeling the security suites will be done by scratch just to be able to work with those different layers.
Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Well Saint_Michael, I have to tell ya. Yes Say bye bye to windows. "in a way" Vista will be the last of the widows, then will come Longhorn. The next geration of widowns operating systems. Vista, was to be Longhorn at 1st but Microsoft decided to test it and to workout some of there Famous bugs 1st. They didnt relese it as a "bata" but are using it as such, if that makes any since.From what I have heard and understand, Longhorn was to be a windows Server program but they kept working on it, and the higher ups in microsoft felt that it was time to do better.

Whoa...This is all new to me...I must have been under a rock somewhere...The implications alone of this technology are staggering. It is clear that Microsoft has no intention of getting caught with its pants down, so they are laying the foundation for the next generation of software. This is all heady stuff though, software offered strictly as a web service --all of it--, that's a lot to wrap my head around. This is going to be a major paradigm shift in how we use computers. Security issues abound, the idea that all my data and apps will all be sitting in one place (the 'all your eggs in one basket scenario') doesn't exactly sit well with me, though I can see the benefits of not having to worry about installations and upgrading software.

But if all our applications become services offered strictly through the web, instead of a one-time purchase, will we in future have to pay-per-use? The cost might be minimized to a very small premium but having to constantly pay everytime...no wonder Microsoft is making plans for the shift, they'll be making money like never before--if they can get to market first. But there seems to be many other players already in the game and making strides to boot.

Come to think of it there seems to be a number of trends in technology these days that may well facilitate this shift sooner rather than later. I read an article some time ago where a group was lobbying for legistlature that would allow for free wireless universal access to the internet throughout the US. It's almost like pieces in a puzzle falling into place. All these technologies converging, it is almost errie in a way. Makes you wonder what kind of society we'll end up with in the next twenty to forty years. I wager even tech enthusiasts like ourselves won't even recognize it, but then I am sure we'll welcome it anyway...on with the new.

Edited by dimumurray (see edit history)

Ive heard about windows 7, and im not really impressed.. the only this windows tries is to get as many people buying their new OS each time they release one.. they aren't actually improving anymore since XP, they're just taking it in a new style, and then sell for double price... Me, I'm staying with XP Prof... Im not upgrading unless i have to.. Microsoft should just stop producing and let Apple & Ubuntu take the lead.

Cloud Computing: Is Midori Sour or Sweet?

Well I thought I post a counter argument on this cloud computing. It is obvious the major concerns are security, downtime's, privacy and other stuff. Of course, this concept is so very early in terms of setting up the building blocks and getting it all organize to get everyone to go along with this concept. So it should be interesting what happens in the next 5 years on how this will take, especially the security and how the infrastructure of the internet will be able to handle this kind of load.

Has Microsoft ever ditched its 20 year old backwards compatibility? No. I don't see Microsoft ever cutting off anything in the future...

Hmmmm. Immagine that.The first time I saw this I was like. . .what?I'm really supprised. Windows is the most successfull operating system I've ever worked with (I prefer it over Mac and Linux)Wow.

I think this is impossible. a legacy of microsoft? being removed? it can be done in my opinion. i think a revamp of the os is inevitable but changing the name may not. let's just see what happen's next

One thing's sure for me.So long as the basics of Microsoft's OS remains the same, I am very far away from it. Unless they can prove that the next OS they release will not be the next Vista, then I might consider it. Maybe.At the time being, I'm enjoying the change from Microsoft to Dell too much. It's so much better than Vista...