xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chris.oco

Portable Software portable software for your ipod or similar removeable drive

if your one of those people like me who work on different computers everyday (be it school, work, home, library, etc.), then you should be entrigued by the variety of software available for installation and execution off of a removeable or portable drive at portable apps's website (just google it). everythings free, and it is all portalbe, very useful software, even not so useful stuff (but who doesnt like to screw around everyonce in a while on a computer with cool programs?!?). its very cool, you start off with a "start menu" for your flash--- you just let your flash auto run, and it pulls up a start menu just for your drive... with all of your programs and docs and stuff. just download and follow the instructions on the site, they are VERY good! now your set, you can get firefox portable for those people who want to take their internet bookmarks with them or for those stupid website blocks on the work or school computers, you can get around them with this! you can also get games, anti virius, wordprocessing, media players (these are TEN MILLION times better than windows media player or other similar programs! they will play ANYTHING!!) you can even get a trial of "mac on a stick" which is an older version of the mac operating system on your flash!! so go to portableapps.com and enjoy!!

I'm also a fan of portables. I use them when I don't want to burden my slow PC with gunkware. I have been downloading apps from that site too but I have not seen how you make a start menu for your flash stick. I have VLC Portable on my rig and the only problem I have seen is it takes forever to open the playlist that I have put on start up. I used to think iTunes was the slowest but it's way better than this thing. Everything else was good. Surprisingly the player was not as resource hungry as I thought.

Portable apps or softwares are commonly used nowadays.I use antivirus and anti spyware programAlso a FTP browserPrograms in this category (also known as portable applications) are typically 'lite' versions of their parent software, but there are many exceptions.To be considered portable, for purpose of this list, a software program must: 1. Not require any kind of formal installation onto a computer's permanent storage device to be executed, and can be stored on a removable storage device such as USB flash drive, enabling it to be used on multiple computers. 2. Settings are stored with, and can be carried around with, the software (i.e., they are written to the USB drive). If the registry is used to store settings, the application's configuration isn't portable, and must be set up on every PC it is used on 3. Leaves a zero (or near-zero) "footprint" on any PC it's run on after being used. i.e., All temporary files/registry settings should be removed once the program has exited, and files created by the user can be saved directly to the same removable media as the application is stored on.There are good number of portable apps which can be downloaded * ASuite * U3 * Ceedo * Launchy * MojoPac * PortableApps.com * PStart * Portable Dev-C++ * JCreator Not entirely portable, because it leaves some settings on the host computer. * Portable Code::Blocks (needs MinGW installed, which is portable too) * Hackety Hack, which is an educational version of ruby, can be installed on pendrive. * Alice (software) * Portable NSIS Version * FastStone Image Viewer * Irfanview * XnView * Abiword * Jarte * OpenOffice.org * Qjot * Portable StarOffice * RagTime * Scribusand many more

I too like portable softwares very much. I am using many portable softwares. No installation overhead, no need to worry about our system performance, and mostly they work everywhere. And many more advantages with portable softwares.And great thing with these is, I crossed a Minimum System Requirements barrier for a particular software with portable edition of that software(same version). Actually whenI tried to install that software, it says my system had't met the minimum requirementsand stopped installation. Tried many times, but same result. I got a portable edition ofthe same version of software somewhere else, and hurray...........it works very well....And I am using VMWare Thinstall application to create my own portable applications now.

Ah, U3, its very useful when your on a coputer with no restrictions in place, but most internet-cafes, libraries, and schools have systems to stoppeople running software, so that they cant ruin the system. U3, wont run on systems like these, but its very useful if you want to use your favourite (portable) software, on a computer you dont often use.It also has the greate advantage that it leaves no trace!

Portable Software is great, it makes your hard drive memory higher and probably make your computer faster. I use them alot myself. Also, it's very ideal to use in school if you have the app saved onto your USB memory stick. The only question I keep asking is; how do you make portable software?

Yes, I also agree that portable software is great! I use it all the time in school, but the only problem is my network admin has added Firefox to the firewall! Oh well, atleast I can still get on Messenger!!Thanks for sharing this for others anyway!