xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sonesay

Art Do we have a specifc forum ?

OK I know this is a graphics forum but I've browsed through most of it and don't come across anything specific to art like drawing and painting in general. I'm not including making sigs or banners because I don't consider them the only form of art or design. Thats just one area and I believe we need a place where people who do other forms of art can congregate. There are other communities like deviant art but most of us starting out get kind of intimidated and feel so small amongst those experienced individuals there.I'm pretty comfortable here at Xisto, I haven't been here too long but its a relaxed place and I'd like to meet people with similar interest particularly those who draw and paint. I do a bit of drawing and painting when I can though most of the time its only when I'm bored and need something else to do beside programming. Last night I spent like two hours shading in one of my drawings of a human head/face in photoshop and its turning out pretty good. I would say I'm progressing but still have a long way to go. I'm learning off this one book on how to draw human figures correctly but yeah the shading part really does help a lot in making it look real. Its still in black and white at this stage until it looks good then I'll start coloring it in.So is there anyone else here at Xisto interested in drawing and painting? I'd like to talk and learn off anyone if thats possible it would be great to see others work too. I don't know I just don't feel like going to deviant art and trying to get to know new people there thats all so I'm trying here first. I even had this one idea to post an add at my university to see if anyone in art would be interested in learning some web and we could teach each other other skills :).Happy surfing

Looking back at one of my older topics, you were one of the people that posted in that topic. It's been a long time since i've drawn anything and i still need to figure out how to get my scanner to work in Linux so that i can scan some of my other work and maybe do a tutorial. But i suppose i can still be of some use, to whatever extent. I mostly just sketch and painting isn't necessarily my thing, but i don't mind doing some brush work in the GIMP.

Yeah painting isn't really my thing either. I only ever sketched and shaded in on paper but its surprising easy on the computer to paint. There is no messy junk from real paint or crayons or what ever you use and its pretty accurate too. The thing I just found out was having the right brush and pressure helped a lot. You just need to adjust size for precision. Thanks for pointing out that topic to me I remember now (my memory is so bad). Manga style isn't really my thing I was never good at it the only thing I draw was Goku and that was using a reference picture. It wasn't too hard but it just took a lot of time. I wouldn't be able to draw that or anything yet without reference to guide me. Back when I was a kid I used to draw a lot of transformer characters, Megaton especially so I think in a way I still need to find my own style. Your work is great if you have some time and can find our old sketches post them up here for us to see. I'll try build my collection up and post them soon but they are still too rough for my liking lol to show on here.