xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
williamm

Nintendo 64

I just recently bought a nintendo 64 again. I use to own one but i sold it so that i could have some money to get a PS1 when they were still popular. lol can someone tell me what does the expansion for the N64 actually does? I know that not many people play it anymore but i have always liked N64 and could someone tell me where i could get games and accessories for it on the internet for cheap?

when you say expansion what do you mean? I still own a N64 and I had to buy the expansion pack thing in order to play Zelda Majoras Mask its the device you plug in on the fron of the N64 theres a cover you can take out to plug the expansion in. On the internet theres always sites like Ebay or you can check gamestop to see if they still hold N64 accessories, games, etc. Prices vary on the websites you go to, you can also check craigslist.org a website where people buy/sell things around your area.

Back in the day I think the problem was with game consoles they lacked memory as they were expensive back then. So later in their life time they relased expansion packs for memory upgrades and I'm sure thats what it was. I cant see it being any other computer part that can be added on later to benifit a console as much as memory. I had an amiga when I was a kid too and all I did on that was play games lol but It had a huge slot for memory expansion as well I think a big 1MB more and it cost a few hundred dollars lol.I believe the expansion for the N64 has 8MB of memory.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

Yeah, that whole needing expansion for Zelda, was it for graphics or for processing!!?? I did the same really, I guess it is still sitting in my Nintendo64. I also have the second Zelda, really wishing I still had the first, and that was one of the last games I had for the system. Then a few years later, I purchased the Playstation, and just haven't gone back to Nintendo... would love to buy a PS3, and then maybe a Wii for the old names. I guess my kids are freaking over the Wii... but I really freaked over the 64.I may just have to hook up the Nintendo 64 on one of my older TVs.

Why don't you get a multi console connector where you can press a button to which system you would want to play that way you dont have to hook it up to an older tv, everything can be hooked up to the one you want it to.

The N64 expansion pack was RDRAM memory expansion of +4MB (for a total of 8MB).  It carries all the same benefits of off chip memory in hierarchy.

In simple terms: It serves the same purpose as memory on your PC... Except since N64 did not used dedicated VRAM (as the graphics card on your PC would), is it was pooled for system use (for video, AUDIO, general game loop CPU stuff, etc). 

-reply by RazzleGames