xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Cuil The new google?

By Eric Auchard
MENLO PARK, California (Reuters) - A start-up led by former star Google engineers on Sunday unveiled a new Web search service that aims to outdo the Internet search leader in size, but faces an uphill battle changing Web surfing habits.

Cuil Inc (pronounced "cool") is offering a new search service at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that the company claims can index, faster and more cheaply, a far larger portion of the Web than Google, which boasts the largest online index.

After reading this I went to have a little look see and test run.
for one the site it self? Google rip off wouldnt be suprised if google sues them over just the front page.
After a few searches, all found I have to say, would take some getting used too, but it is okay. on a scale of say
1 to 10? I would have to give it a 6, only because 1 it is new and 2 that it looks too much like google.
Will it over take Google?
Chapter 11 within 2 yrs

i went to check CUIL yesterday when it surfaced on DIGG's top 10 feed for the day. too bad it wasn't able to cope up with the influx of users, i wasn't even able to get a glimpse of it's front page. :D how could it ever achieve stability if it can't cope up with just the DIGG crowd? :)

now i check it again, and i see it for the first time. my verdict? still a long way to catch up with the GOOGLE search empire. :D it says "Search 121,617,892,992 web pages"... and although it claims to be "worlds biggest search engine", i'm betting google has a lot more on it's index than cuil. initial search test of my forum name, SERVERPH, yielded 2,847 results from CUIL as compared to 15,300 results from GOOGLE. :D

and what's with the DARK background? is it trying to be an underground or a renegade maverick search engine? :D although it has a cool web2.0 feel in it, i prefer a much brighter search interface. and need i say, what's with CUIL (and read as "cool", for whatever reason)? it doesn't compute with me. ;)

i do however like the way they introduced the ability to explore by category, to aid a user in filtering the search better (if they don't know how to do it in the first place). i haven't extensively tested it yet to qualitatively declare that cuil has an edge over google in terms of relevant results, but quantitatively google has the upperhand, i think. but for now, quality and quantity in google results serve me better.

cuil's management are a bunch of ex-employees from google and IBM among others, so i suppose they know what they are doing. but not yet as good as how google does search. we'll see in the near future how CUIL will fare in the public's consciousness.

Cuil.com. Not much hype on the internet about this, but I would like to see your opinions on this search engine. Cuil, according to the creators is a search engine that organizes web pages by content and displays relatively long entries along with thumbnail pictures for many results. It claims to have a larger index than any other search engine, with about 120 billion web pages. It had just went live on July 28, 2008. What's unique. Cuil's privacy policy, unlike that of other search engines, says it does not store users’ search activity or IP addresses. Cuil is managed and developed largely by former employees of Google, and the CEO and co-founder, has worked for IBM before. The company raised $33 million from venture capital firms, and have a sort of new technology to lower the indexing cost.The new Google? I don't think it would get anywhere close soon.

Nah it wont overtake google, itll stay below yahoo too i think. It doesnt look like a search engine and the results are rubbish, its hard to look through them to find what you want as you only see a few results per page and unlike google it doesnt have the text there (atleast it didnt when i tried it) and so you dont know if it really contains the results you want.

Hi,I think this Cuil.com with that amount of fanfare around is not - at least for now - such a prize. I tried our chess club name in addition to the keywords chess, club, etc and the results were not that good.1- I first tried the club name itself. Unlike Google Cuil did not suggest a spelling correction - because the name is some kind of abbrv. - and showed unrelated results. 2- When I tried the club name + chess the results got funny. Everything was about "chess" and nowhere you could find they keyword "[clubname]"! If you try Google with the same keywords it will not show you a link to a Muddy Waters album :)) Totally unrelated!The Cuil engineers say that because of the black background Cuil will nurse your monitor's pixels for free. OK! What is the use of good pixels when you cannot find a relationship between Muddy and a chess club named X after all?I think Cuil is a furs which will turn to tragedy soon.