xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inhale

My New Puppy Norwegian Elkhound

I got a new puppy last week. He's a Norwegian Elkhound and is 3 months old :) I never knew what that breed was until I saw him and decided to look it up. They're pretty interesting.

His name is Arctic and he's extremely playful. Here are some pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

He's pretty big for being only 3 months. Here is some more info on his breed if anyone is interested

=====================================================================================================================

Norwegian Elkhounds are bred for hunting large game, such as wolf, bear and moose. The Elkhound has a very strong drive and it is not unheard of for an Elkhound to go through a plate-glass window when motivated by its quarry[citation needed]. Although the breed is strong and hardy, the dogs typically have an inseparable bond with their masters and are quite loyal. All Elkhounds have a sharp loud bark which makes them suitable as guard-dogs.

Norwegian Elkhounds are loyal to their "pack" and make good family dogs. It is bold, playful, independent, alert, boisterous, and protective. This is a dog ready for adventure and is happiest if that adventure takes place outdoors in cold weather. It needs daily exercise, lest it become frustrated or even destructive. It is friendly with strangers but may quarrel with strange dogs. It tends to pull when on leash unless trained, and it may bark a lot. Although each dog is an individual, they generally like children and can be very protective of those they consider part of their pack or family. This, combined with their loud bark, makes them a good watch dog.

Norwegian Elkhounds can be challenging to train because of their intelligence and deep independent streak. They are good obedience dogs and are good-natured in their disobedience ? for example, failing to "come" because there is something of greater interest in the other direction. They can be wonderful in agility and are particularly good tracking dogs.

Notice from jlhaslip:
quote tags added. please quote material copied from elsewhere

Thats a cute puppy... looks like it'll grow up into an awesome dog to.... just make sure you train it well :)also, I'm guessing that extra info on the breed was taken from wikipedia or something, make sure you quote any information that you did not write.

Very cute pup!My Dad had some Norwegian Elkhounds years ago. I really liked them, they were very sweet natured, and nice to get along with. Smart too, I taught several of them some quick simply tricks, like shake hands, that sort of thing. You will need to keep a good dog brush handy, their biggest downfall is the tons and tons of dog hair they shed out.