xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Japanese Browser Called Sleipnir

I came across this browser by a fluke chance when I was checking out articles at PC World, and from what I remember from the article this is a very big name browser in Japan and they wanted to expand it to the international market. What really caught my eye is that they want to get 5% of the international market in the browser wars in the next couple of years. To give a background story to this browser, it was developed in 2005 in both English and Japanese and after 3 years it gain some popularity in the international community and so now they are trying to enter themselves into the browser wars.

So I went to the website, installed the browser and begin to check it out, well I see they took a page out of internet explorer, to an extent, and that is being able to change the render engine and right now they have some problems with gecko engine running properly or at least for me I am having problems displaying it correctly. Anyways basically what they did was combine firefox and internet explorer together in terms of features, look, security and some other typical browser stuff. The default engine of course is internet explorer, but I can get past that if you can.

It supports plug-ins which there are few of and some skins as well, which there are few of. However, y major concern is security since they are using a mixture of two of the biggest browsers I am curious to know what kind of security holes they opened up since it seems that they patched this browser together. Sad to say though with all these features and tons of customization, I can't really spend the time setting up this browser the way I want and the fact that firefox and internet explorer are years ahead of them. I suggest that they build their own engine and not make it gekko or IE based, something original. Also I think they should go over there features and combine them or remove some of them as there are far to many and that doesn't work for me.

PC World Article

Sleipnir Browser

The browser does look disappointingly similar to IE6:

Posted Image

Which is almost enough to put me off using it. Coupled with the fact there are few plugins, I think I'll forgo downloading a copy. The sole reason why I'm currently using Firefox at the moment is the vast range of plugins on offer.

Another thing I noticed was that the language has suffered a bit in translation. Although this is more of an annoyance than anything serious, I'm quite petty about poor English and having to face it almost every day when I'm using the Internet would probably drive me mad :)

I can't really spend the time setting up this browser the way I want and the fact that firefox and internet explorer are years ahead of them.

QFT. It will be interesting to see if they do catch up but I doubt I'll ever hear from them again. If this is Japan's most popular browser, it's quite interesting to think that the West is quite far ahead of a country you associate with being very technologically advanced.

I have to say, and agree with electric ink, that it already looks TOO much like Internet Explorer, to include icons and all. I wonder why they're trying to achieve what has already been done. The only thing that it features that stands out is the whole ability to swap between Gecko and Trident rendering engines, but I'm sure that someone's going to develop yet another add-on for FireFox that will do the same thing. What then?Then again, I'm biased towards FireFox and have no incentive to switch over to another browser... :)

Sleipnir Browser by Saint Michael

Japanese Browser Called Sleipnir

I believe Saint Michael is right, Sleipnir needs to get its act together, or maybe its trying?!! In any case, whatever it is like to the honorable Japanese community, it is not user friendly in the West. I suggest the following: they need to get a super English editor(s) and cut the silly engrish--browsers are in serious competition. No offense but it needs to show seriousness. Think about doing these things: create an engine which makes all Firefox and IE applications, etc. Work on Sleipnir; create more rendering engines so that several can be used by the client on the fly, and make Opera and Safari work as plugins; specialize in an advancement of privacy (such as making the onion router, and similar approaches easy and fun to use and FasT!!); create a universal decoder so that all media can be used by one codec. These are just some thoughts and if they were realized in fact and in form,Sleipnir would be the race horse that won!

FYI, I do use Sleipnir along with Safari and FF, I do like it even with its quirks, and I look forward to its getting better.

-reply by robb7thurston