xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eman

How To Manually Turn Off Laptop Screen

they can either do that or just close their laptop :) screen will shut off automaticlly without even downloading a program or pressing any keys :D

Most old laptops has this feature by hitting FN+Something Else but new laptops don't have that feature. After searching google I found this program that will do exactly that. Just download it at http://cdn.redmondpie.com/downloadscenter/TurnOffLCDv101.zip and run the excute the file and to turn your screen just move your mouse.

they can either do that or just close their laptop :) screen will shut off automaticlly without even downloading a program or pressing any keys :D

i aggre with you....but when we cann't manually turnoff our laptop screen, u can use the automaticly way, its by setingup ur power management in display option, or just find it in controlpanel...
thanks

post-34144-1216873265_thumb.gif

I would have to agree as well that it is a useless program really when all ou have to do is just set it up through power management, but sometimes people don't want to go through all that hassle and so a small program like this will make their lives easier. However, if your going to be gone for a few hours you might as well turn the computer off and save some energy as well no real need to have your computer running 365 non stop if your a home user.

Would you like to turn off your computer when you are downloading something? What they mean is that only the screen/monitor is off while the computer is still running.-reply by Sticky

Thank you very much for this post. My dell studio 1555 has no option to turn the screen off. When I'm running programs like downloading unzipping etc. I don't want to close my lid or put into sleep mode because that will stop the laptop from functioning. This feature will save battery! thanks again!

Laptop monitor helpHow To Manually Turn Off Laptop Screen

My dad tried to hook my laptop up to the flat screen Tv using a VGA cable. While doing so he changed the display setting or something becuase the monitor on my laptop will not come on at all. I cant see the screen on the Tv or the laptop to go in and make adjustments. Help I need my laptop for school in the morning.

D600 can not turn screen onHow To Manually Turn Off Laptop Screen

I have a Dell d600 my lights are on but the screen is dark, what button do I press to get the screen on, I have tried to shut off by holding down the power button but that does not work. NEED HELP

-reply by David

bro try pressing your laptop button for almost 10 secs and it will be off and also you can just put the panel down it will be offand also try some energy saving programme which will turn your screen off when not in use or via win xp properties in desktop screen saver as a blank screen

bro try pressing your laptop button for almost 10 secs and it will be off

That will turn the entire machine off.

I have a Dell d600 my lights are on but the screen is dark, what button do I press to get the screen on, I have tried to shut off by holding down the power button but that does not work. NEED HELP

Hold the power button until all lights go off. Remove the battery and wait 20 seconds or so. Re-insert the battery, and turn the laptop on. Listen for the fans spinning up and watch the lights. Now, if the screen works you will see the BIOS boot screen, which is what happens right as you turn the machine on you get the black screen with white writing. If you see this then it should be resolved and fixed. If you dont see any white text then the screen or graphics chip is broken.

If you can find a spare computer monitor plug it into your laptop (you will see a VGA output socket that looks the same as the monitor socket on a normal computer, plug it in there) Also on your keyboard will see a key which has two squares side by side in a light blue color. Probably on one of the number keys or one of the F1, F2 etc... keys Remember where that key is.

turn the laptop off by holding the power button. Then turn it on and watch the computer screen you just plugged in (make sure the screen works and has power and a good connection to the laptop, not loose) does the screen show any white text? Or anything at all? If so then your laptop screen is definitely broken or somehow disabled. IF you DONT see anything on the computer monitor carry on:

Remember that key i talked about with the two squares? Turn the laptop on, wait about 3 minutes so the operating system is loaded. Now find on your laptop the "function key" it will be labelled: "Fn" in the same light blue colour as the other key i mentioned. Once you find it press and hold the Fn key and then tap the key with the two squares. This key combination will hopefully switch between laptop screen, computer screen and both screens. So tap it and wait 5 seconds. If neither screen shows anything then press and hold Fn and tap the square key once more. Wait a few seconds. If the screens still dont change then repeat the key tap. If they still havent changed then one of two things:

Your laptop is completely dead, do the fans spin? If not it is absolutely dead.
Your graphics chip is fried, not much you can do about that except dump the laptop
Somehow your graphics chip has not been recognised. Its still there and works but the laptop isnt recognising it. Try a BIOS firmware update (Warning: BIOS updates can be dangerous and could make things worse. Only do this if you feel confident there is no other solution and you know what you are doing.)

If the laptop is under warranty phone the manufacturer.

Seems like a cool program but, like others stated there is also a way to do it in your Power Management options. I usually have mine turn off when I close the lid but it still allows the computer to run. Sometimes though the problem I have is turning the screen back on when I open my computer. It will continue to run but when I hit enter or the power button, the screen sometimes does not turn back on and I end up having to restart my computer in order for it to work properly again. That eliminates the purpose of just turning off the screen in the first place as I normally want the computer running for a reason, and it makes it faster to access it again.

reset to factory settings, will not show on external screen.How To Manually Turn Off Laptop ScreenHello,I broke my Windows Vista laptop screen and changed it to the external view a while back, when I could actually see half of the screen. Now I cannot see anything, it is completely black. Then my computer stopped reading disks so I reset it back to factory settings thinking that this would solve the problem but forgetting about the external screen settings. I have not set up the password or anything because I cannot see anything so it is impossible to log in blindly. The other monitor is still hooked up but looks like it is asleep, I tried all of the Fn+F4 and pressing Fn and the buttons with the screen looking things on it but all it does is shut off or do nothing. I have also tried closing it and seeing if the mouse worked but it doesn't! I don't know what to do, HELP!(:Thankss!-reply by Charleigh