xisto Community
jlhaslip

[request] Gimp Tutorial For Watermarking Pictures can someone explain the method I need to use to do that?

I am not "inclined" towards Graphics or Image manipulation, and I do have the GIMP Image Software.I have about 50 Images to watermark, so if someone could take the time to explain how to do that using the GIMP, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks a bunch.

I haven't researched if the GIMP can do batch processing, but since this is already posted under the tutorials section, i'll reply here.

Depending on the size of the water mark and how complex or simple you want it to be will be a deciding factor for the size of the pattern that we'll be making. The easiest way i can think of for making a water mark would be through GIMP patterns. But for this example we'll use the default document size: w: 420; h: 300.

Start off by making a new layer and make sure it's transparent.

Delete the default "Background" layer so that we have a transparent background.

I'ma assume what you mostly want to do is either place a logo or just some simple text. In this example we'll do some simple text (doing a logo is similar: just replace the text with a logo), so grab the text tool and type in whatever you want. Make sure it fills up the layer at least 51%. The position doesn't necessarily matter, as depending on the image you're water marking it may come out uneven anyway; you'll be able to move around layer afterwards if you want.

Once you're done, save your work as a GIMP pattern. You should see this option under "Select File Type (By Extensions)" when saving.

Browse to where you saved the GIMP pattern and copy and paste it into the patterns directory within the GIMP directory. (Under Linux it would be located under ~/.gimp-2.4/patterns or similar.) Back in the GIMP in the window where all the layers are, the default GIMP layout should have the Patterns palette located right under it. Hit the refresh button to have it load up your new pattern. The patterns are ordered alphabetically based on the title you gave it when the GIMP asked for one.

Now open up the image you want watermarked. Create a new layer and while having the watermark pattern selected, click Edit > Fill with Pattern. You may want to set the mode of the layer to "Overlay" for a more appealing look.

That's basically all there is to it. You can open up your pattern for further editing in the future, you'll just be restricted to one layer. In the end you should have something like this:

Posted Image

In case anyone is wondering, i did indeed create that in the GIMP, so watermarking is perfectly fine here.

Yes but this will sett watermark on all part of photo..I can help for sett this only to where you want...I go writte tutorial.. :)

Step 1. Open what you need as watermark ..I use this photo:

Posted Image

Step 2.Open this or some other photo in Photoshop..

Step 3.Go to Filter>>>Extract..

Step 4.Use Edge Highlighter Tool(or press :D,sett Brush size to 3 and smoth to 50.

Step 5.Make featured what you need use as watermark,and Use Fill tool (or press G),and fill in featured.

Step 6.Click OK and now your photo is transparent.. see picture :

Posted Image

Step 7.Go to Image >>>Crop now this is like this :

Posted Image

Step 8.Select All and copy selection

Step 9.Open photo you want to add watermark.

Step 10.Paste your selection from previous image on this image.

My result is this:

Posted Image

I hope I have helped, because I was bass to see and images and words ..

I realize this topic is fairly old but i think this could be of use to others and so im posting it anyway :)I think the best way to watermark it is simply to get your image open in the GIMP, go to the layers window (CRTL+L) Add new layer (transparent background) then use the text tool to type your name or whatever (or paste a logo) then move it to where you want. Go back to the layers window and turn the transparency down to 40% and keep changing it till you get the level you want. Then to permanently water mark it (you may want to keep an original and use Save As to turn this into a copy) in the layers window, right click on the top layer and click "merge down" And job done!As i said, best use the Save As, rather than Save, so that you can keep the original as it is, with no watermark.

i just found out about gimp minutes before posting this because i posted a question to whether there was any good free software like photoshop out there. and rvalkass posted a reply telling me about gimp.so i'm excited to start learning about gimp!

animated fadeing gif[request] Gimp Tutorial For Watermarking Pictures

Although my jpegs stink when converted to gif's I wanted to create an animated gif that fades into another pic by slowly fading out, I tried layering one image at different opacity's and pasting them on top of each other but all I get is the original image blinking on the screen. I tried it different ways, like 12.5% opacity each layer 25, 50 75%, now at wit's end...Please help!