xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gisellebebegirl

Sunburn

Okay.. so i went to soakcity about 2 days ago.. [after idk 8 hours of being in the sun] i realised i was burned.. red like a lobster, its still really red, but not peeling or anything [ive been putting aloe vera on it] but it hurts BADLY, REALLY BADLY, and it looks horrible.. [i refused to take my senior pictures yersterday due to this, AAND i have a date on monday] anyone know of a way to get rid of the burn fast?? or at least the pain??

also.. will this peel? even though ive been putting aloe vera on it?? gad it better not.

8 hours? Depending on your skin type, this might've been something you shouldn't have done. Honestly, too much exposure to UVB rays can be really life threatening. Don't intend to scare you but be really careful the next time. Use sunscreen creams next time and yes, Aloe Vera would be really good for your skin. Is the reddening going away? Time is the most important thing that can heal this, your skin's defense mecahnism is already at work. And please avoid anything greasy like oil, butter or anything else that is oil-solluble or has an oily base or solution. They might just hamper your skin's ability to treat itself. And yes, again, apply Aloe Vera as much as you can.

Here are some links I got off Wikipedia which can help you;
WebMD
MedlinePlus

And as far as the date is concerned, don't be much tensed about it. Act just like you always do and avoid any over-explaination as to why your skin's red and stuff. A simple "too much time in the sun I guess" should work with most guys and if it does not, I don't know, you just caught yourself someone really weird and attentive to unimportant things.

I've never heard of soakcity, but just by the name of it i'm sure it's a place with a lot of water. Based on experience, your skin will most likely start to peel. Hopefully you've learned from this experience. And you're making a big deal out of appearance. Anyone who is only interested in looks shouldn't be dating. Consider this a coincidence where you can test out the intentions of your date.

Wow how awful! 8 Hours under the sun is really bad for health. You may look good with a bronze skin after that, but the UV rays are really bad. Don't ever do that again next time! A couple of hours is all right, but I wouldn't want anything more than that. For the next couple of days, try to stay out of the sun. When you go for your date, try to stay indoors, maybe go to a restaurant, movies or something. Wear long sleeved clothes and pants to prevent your skin from being further exposed to the sun and also for beauty reasons (you don't want your date to see you looking red right? You can't really cover up sunburns in 2 days). Good luck!

Well, I'm caucasion but i have darker skin, and I've only had burns about 3 maybe for times in my life.What helps is:1. Staying out of the sun. (Duhhh)2. When you do go back out into the sun, use a sunscreen that is SPF 50 or higher. Make sure it has UVA and UVB protection.3. Apply aloe vera after you wake up, after you get out of the shower, and before you go to sleep.4. Silk and smoother clothes don't hurt as bad.5. Don't be affraid to take a REALLY cold shower every day. It will soothe the pain.6. Apply cocoa butter once a day.7. This may sound stupid, but don't spend too much time near a light source.Yes, if you are trully burned badly, you will peel. Now you can avoid sunburn by using sunscreen or by SLOWLY developing a tan over time. However if you are either Albino or a REALLY white white girl, this probably won't work.

Don't apply Cocoa butter... Your skin is burnt... 8 Hours... I believe that it is in the USA... I don't know what the Ozone concentration in the USA is, but here in Australia and New Zealand... just 2-3 hours in broad daylight can give you a bad burn...But I have gone through this before... There is no "quick'n easy solution" the best thing is time... There are medication which you spray on your skin to MAKE (yes make) your skin peel which encourages new skin growth... sadly it takes around 4-5 days which might not be so beneficial for you on your date on Monday...Do not apply anything which even contains Oil for even a few minutes. And that just doesn't include things such as i.e. cooking oils, but also things such as... Moisturiser... From past experience... I would need to ask you if you are using LIVE Aloe Vera or using a Aloe Vera you bought from the store? Because if it is LIVE Aloe Vera, it should heal very fast...Don't stay in the sun for too long, and... Good Luck on your Date :)

Yes like csp4.0 said, peeling is actually good for you, and no, csp, the ozone concentration here is better than it is in the land down under, so you don't get burned as fast depending on your skin type.And cocoa butter is good for burns. It's soothing.However like he said I do recomend that you get an aloe vera plant. It does work better when it hasn't been processed. (I know because my little sister is very fair complected and gets burns alot.)I've heard vinegar is good for kitchen burns. It may just work on sunburn but you should really look into that first.

[1]And cocoa butter is good for burns. [2]It's soothing.

Yes, for the second; it's soothing.

No, for the first; it's not good because it is soothing.

I might be drifting away from the topic, but it's still important.

Pain is one of the things the Human body is blessed with. And I mean it when I say this. When your nerves transmit the pain to your brain, the brain is the organ which triggers the rest of the organs into self-defense. Your skin needs to know that it's not in a good condition to trigger a self-defense, which is faster regeneration of skin and production of melanin. Cocoa butter works as endorphin, which is an endogenous morphine-like substance which relieves your brain of pain or stress, or, blocks the signals from reaching your brain through the help of a barrier; name I can't recollect right now. It might be the Blood-brain barrier but I am not sure since I am not a Medical student. Feeling the soothness then hampers the skin's ability to regenerate itself and get halthier. Peeling and lack of ease are thus, important.

If you've understood this, you know what else to do. Don't exercise, or take any form of stress. Stay in the house or in a vehicle for most of your time and wear hats. There are other things which you can do but they won't result in much increase in the speed.

And endorphin is the exact chemical that is released during orgasms or when you really exhaust yourself after exercising. Heard about the Runners' High?

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

Apply a cooling mask, cream or something like that. Aloe Vera never works for me because it does always just "fall off." (I do not really ever get sunburned. Not any sun. :)) Peeling would just make it worse - especially if it is very rough. So a gel or a cream would be better. But let your skin rest instead of putting on a lot of stuff, rubbing it, washing it and so on.

I'm not sure what kind of aloe vera you have, but the stuff that I have is in a gel form. It goes on easily and takes away the sting of the burn somewhat. The pain is still there, but lessened especially right after putting the gel on. In my case anyway.And yea, sadly, like others have said before me, you probably will peel. Even with the aloe vera I peel, though I don't seem to peel as bad because the gel is keeping moisture in my skin I think. I'm not really sure what to tell you about how to make it go away fast, because I don't know of something that can. It's just one of those things that you have to deal with until it's finished. But I would advise to try and stay out of the sun until it's healed again, because burning a sunburn is never fun.Next time though, do try to bring sunscreen with you. I know I tend to forget it once or twice a year, and I pay for it badly for the rest of the week. I hope you start to feel better soon :)

Pain is one of the things the Human body is blessed with. And I mean it when I say this. When your nerves transmit the pain to your brain, the brain is the organ which triggers the rest of the organs into self-defense. Your skin needs to know that it's not in a good condition to trigger a self-defense, which is faster regeneration of skin and production of melanin. Cocoa butter works as endorphin, which is an endogenous morphine-like substance which relieves your brain of pain or stress, or, blocks the signals from reaching your brain through the help of a barrier; name I can't recollect right now. It might be the Blood-brain barrier but I am not sure since I am not a Medical student. Feeling the soothness then hampers the skin's ability to regenerate itself and get halthier. Peeling and lack of ease are thus, important.

No, your brain can sense that your skin has been burned even if the pain has been soothed. Your skin will peel anyway and regenerate on it's own. Yes, your skin falls off on it's own. You have a layer of skin that is almost mature enough to serve as your outer epidermis on top of the layer of skin you have right now. Why? Because your skin falls off constantly (think finger prints). Dust is nothing but dirt, lint, and dead skin cells.

And no, cocoa butter does not work as an endorphin. An endorphin is a harmone released during certain activities or after a stimulus has been stimulated, such as sex or self mutilation. Cocoa butter just temporally cools of the skin.

Smoothness does not hamper your skin's abillity to regenerate.

[1]No, your brain can sense that your skin has been burned even if the pain has been soothed. [2]Your skin will peel anyway and regenerate on it's own. Yes, your skin falls off on it's own. [3]You have a layer of skin that is almost mature enough to serve as your outer epidermis on top of the layer of skin you have right now. Why? Because your skin falls off constantly (think finger prints). Dust is nothing but dirt, lint, and dead skin cells.

[1] No, it can't because the brain didn't release any painkillers, so, the skin must've gotten better. A brain can sense the malfunctioning of a certain part of the body without the person knowing it when it has released endorphin itself. Besides, you're right that it will in some time know that the skin is damaged, but without pain, it's completely futile. You need to understand pain better.
Why is it that sometimes a sting of an insect (not an ant, where the acid does things) generates more pain than let's say, a bigger damage like the cut of a blade? For simple reasons. The brain needs to investigate faster and come up with better resistance against any poisonous chemicals or something.

[2] At a much slower pace. Much slower pace. Besides, the Cocoa butter doesn't last all day long. So ofcourse, the skin won't maintain the slow pace all the time.

[3] In small amounts. In the case of a sunburn, the new "almost-mature" skin takes time to replace the damaged skin. Due to the sheer quantity of the damage. Besides, I don't know about UVA, but UVB rays don't just damage the outer-most layer of epiderma, their damage goes way inside your body, and hence this takes time.

And no, cocoa butter does not work as an endorphin. Cocoa butter just temporally cools of the skin.

I was just using it as an example. It has the same effects on the brain. In the case of endorphin, the brain doesn't receive any signals of pain, in the case of Cocoa butter, the brain doesn't receive any signals of pain because there aren't any being sent.
Lack of pain slows down the process, right down to the pace where the skin would've regenerated even if it wasn't the case of a sunburn.

You can always, ask a Doctor for this. :)

Yes, for the second; it's soothing.

No, for the first; it's not good because it is soothing.

I might be drifting away from the topic, but it's still important.

If you've understood this, you know what else to do. Don't exercise, or take any form of stress. Stay in the house or in a vehicle for most of your time and wear hats. There are other things which you can do but they won't result in much increase in the speed.

And endorphin is the exact chemical that is released during orgasms or when you really exhaust yourself after exercising. Heard about the Runners' High?

lala i agree. i went in and put on coccoa butter, the minute i saw i was burned...... but it only made it worse, my skin got warmer etc.. i guess because it has oil in it;; as for not wearing sunscreen, i did!! i did several times, but i guess it wasnt enough.. have you guys ever gone to soakcity? its a waterpark.. and thats pretty much where i was burning from 10am til 7pm

Well the sun burns my shoulders every summer! There is no way to save your self (except to don't show on sun). The best medicine i tried is witch hazel cos it's natural features and the healing period. When i was sun burned i put witch hazel on my shoulders with cotton and relaxing, sleeping in bed. It's cooling your skin and it's healing it for about 2-3 days, depends on the sunburn injury. If you want to get sunburned for about 30 minutes, put on your skin olive oil. :angel: My friend tried that and he was almost black :(