xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AbdurahmanL

Question About Changing Domain Names.

Hey guys how's it going! I just had a quick question about changing domain names. My domain now is fearclan.trap17.com, and I wanted to change it to fearclan.org. How should I do it? Do I use the credit system and it will give me my own domain for free? Or do I have to buy a domain name from godaddy or something and then change it? I really need an answer for this as soon as possible.Thank you so much guys! :)

no there is no need to deal with credits if you're changing your domain name (only if you're changing the subdomain name). you'd just go to daddy buy the domain name, point it to the Xisto - Web Hosting servers, and use parked domains and vouala. P.S. this will definitely work if the domain's type is DNS

So I buy the domain from godaddy and park the domain right? So then if I use fearclan.org, it will go to my website right? But the thing I want to ask, is that when I put fearclan.org, when it goes to my website, will it stay fearclan.org, or will it show fearclan.trap17.com again?

no it will stay like that( check mine: original was etycto.trap17.com now it's etycto.uni.cc). one thing you should know though is that if you're using a PHP script (like a CMS a blog or a forum) and it has a field that says anything like "site URL" you should change it from the subdomain to the new domain.

Yeah i'm running phpbb3 you should check it out! Feel free to visit and interact and post and stuff!Ohh that's great! it will stay huh? so now I have fearclan.trap17.com/forum So it will be fearclan.org/forum. Yes?Thanks so much for ur help!

Hey guys how's it going! I just had a quick question about changing domain names. My domain now is fearclan.trap17.com, and I wanted to change it to fearclan.org. How should I do it? Do I use the credit system and it will give me my own domain for free? Or do I have to buy a domain name from godaddy or something and then change it? I really need an answer for this as soon as possible.Thank you so much guys! :)

Just to add a bit more to etycto's post, you could save up the credits and get a free domain that way, but at a hefty 250 credit price tag, you would have to some serious posting or straight up buy the credits needed for it. As adding or parking domain, no you don't have to worry about messing with the credit system for that.

So I buy the domain from godaddy and park the domain right? So then if I use fearclan.org, it will go to my website right? But the thing I want to ask, is that when I put fearclan.org, when it goes to my website, will it stay fearclan.org, or will it show fearclan.trap17.com again?

Question 1. Yes
Question 2. Yes, but make sure your domain is pointing to the correct namesevers ns.computinghost.com and ns2.computinghost.com and you have to wait up to 72 for your site to appear once you have parked the domain.
Question 3. It will show fearclan.org if you park the domain, if you do an add-on domain a person can type either the top level domain or the subdomain.

Wait, if I park the domain I can still use both url's right? I can use fearclan.trap17.com and fearclan.org? This is great! You're welcome to my forums by the way! Check around, comment on the site and stuff. ITS ALL YOURS! :)

Wait, if I park the domain I can still use both url's right? I can use fearclan.trap17.com and fearclan.org? This is great! You're welcome to my forums by the way! Check around, comment on the site and stuff. ITS ALL YOURS! :)

yah you can, but remember if you're using PHP scripts you need to change it to the domain you want your visitors to go to.