xisto Community
moutonoir

Animal Orientation Behavior some interesting facts...

There are two main types of animal orientation behavior, that is, animal movement caused by sensory input. The first of these is taxis, which is when an animal moves directionally in response to a stimulus. For example, a female tick has a photosensitive body surface. When she senses light, she moves to the end of a branch or twig to wait for a mammal to feed off of. This movement toward the light can be considered taxis.The second type of orientation behavior is kinesis. In kinesis, the stimulus causes a random change in the animal?s speed or direction, but the animal does not move toward or away from a stimulus. For example, in wood lice, the speed at which the animal moves is altered by a kinetic response.There are times when animal response behavior is important to know. In zoos, for example, animals must be kept in environments as close to their natural habitats as possible in order to keep the animals happy and pleasing to observe. By knowing how an animal responds to certain stimuli, its zoo exhibit can be designed in such a way that it will best suit the needs of the animal, containing almost everything the animal might require.Another instance when knowing about animal response behavior is important is when a pharmaceutical company tests a new drug. By knowing how the animal usually acts and responds to certain stimuli, the testers can better determine if the animals? response is due to the drug they are testing or some other stimulus.Keeping a farmer?s livestock productive and healthy is another situation when knowing animal response behavior is important. In order for chickens to lay the most eggs and cows to produce the most milk, farmers must know how to best stimulate their livestock. Knowledge of animal response behavior is beneficial in many different ways. By learning how animals respond to stimuli, we can better predict and control their behavior.

Aren't we just animals but smarter? So wouldn't they all respond in a similar manner to stimuli just like we do except in a less advanced manner (possibly even a more advanced manner in some cases.)And by animals what are you talking about?? All animals, people excluded, insects in/excluded?

All animals, which includes humans and insects (the examples I gave are insects). We humans do respond in ways that could probably be considered one of these methods, but we also have higher cognition which influences our behavior. Thus, our behavior is indeed more "advanced" if you think about it in this sense.

Well, I sure wish I knew what kind of animal orientation behavior is possesing one of my Goats! Every day, sometimes twice a day, the stupid thing sticks her head threw the fence and gets stuck.(she is a horned, 50% Boer cross doe) Head goes threw easy as the horns are curved backwards, but then get stuck when she pulls back. For awhile I was going to name her Pita, (pain in the *bottom*) but we mostly just call her Crazy. She is getting scrawny cause she spends most of her time with her head stuck in the fence. We run the fence a couple times a day, but she still spends a lot of hours standing there, unable to eat after she finishes off whatever she was reaching threw the fence to get in the first place. My better half heard her bawling before daylight this morning and has allready got her out of the fence today before 6am. Talk about a true believe of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!" I would certainly love to keep my livestock happy, but this goat is just nuts. A few weeks ago we even tried to wire a piece of shovel handle to her horns so she couldn't get her head threw the fence. We had several days of peace before she managed to get it off. Getting her out of the fence is no easy job, she still fights you after all these times of getting her out. We have had other goats to be frequent reach threw the fencers, but those learned quick that you were trying to help them and would not fight with you and would just let you twist their heads around in whatever way it took to get them out. I usually end up getting cut on the top strands of barb wire getting the dumb *bottom* out, and I'm getting pretty dang sick of it. My hubby fell down one day after getting her out and landed on a rock and cracked some ribs over this stupid got. She came pretty close to the nasty job of getting her horns sawed off after that one. If she keeps on, I may do it yet!

sounds like a good plan to remove the horns. Will that have any impact on her besides not getting stuck? Are the horns used for any other reason?

There are many crows in the area around here, and they are very wary of people. Probably due to being shot at for generations.It made my heart sink a little when they flew away so early as I approached. So I decided to make friends with them.I put this intention out to them and have had some much closer encounters since.They are so cheeky and ultra responsive to any signals. Horses have a flight instinct but wild birds have a FLIGHT instinct.Just a little project I'm working on...

I was told the other day some interesting facts about crows. They're supposedly almost the smartest bird on the planet, and are the only bird that flies TOWARDS gun shots because they know hunters will leave yummy leftovers behind after their hunt. I don't know if these facts are true, as I literally heard them from a friend of a friend who heard from an expert on the radio, but they're interesting. I never thought of crows as super-intelligent, but when you think of it, they are quite smart. They very rarely get hit by cars on a highway despite being on it all the time. They aren't hunted for food because they're so smart they modified their genetics to make themselves taste awful! just kidding. I spent a lot of time watching the wildlife in my area and studying their reactions. I like watching animals and it's uncanny how similar to humans they are. Maybe that would be put better if I said it's uncanny how humans aren't as different as we think. I think your project is interesting. Feel free to post your research :P

Yeah crows are interesting to watch... most other birds suck except for willy wag tails, kookabura's and pterodactyl's :P. @sheepdogs post, Sorry to hear about your goat causing so much trouble might be a good idea get rid of her horns, i imagine it would be like docking the tail of a dog kinda cruel, but not the end. Better than ending its life.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)