xisto Community
kudmus

Joomla On Trap17

Hey guys, is it posible to install Joomla on my site hosted by Xisto thru cPanel?How do i do it?Doi first download Joomla to local media?I need to know before I start planning about installing ?Joomla on my site. I cant do it now because my ISP is blocking my ports and now I can't access my cPanel. But I need to plan so that if it is posible I keep building the site on my local server then install Joomla and upload the files when I get access.One other thing. How do I get rid of the info that appears above and below the content that I'll have added. Imean the "edited by", "last updated",etc. for example what I have shown in the picture attached.post-61160-1215625921_thumb.png

Download the newest joomla from joomla.org, copy the files to Xisto via FTP, then make a new sql database for it. Start the installation process by going to 'site.trap17.com/install' and you should have installed it and have it working.you can move the site from local to online by doing exactly the same and then copying the files from your local server to the online server, and extracting the sql database and import it on your online server.that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Or save yourself all that time by installing it through fantastico as that is one of the preinsalled scripts that comes with Xisto hosting.

Also keep in mind that Fantastico usually has semi-outdated versions, which means potential security vulnerabilities (probably things that are easily locatable on websites that list these types of things). For example the current Fantastico version of Joomla is 1.5, several versions old and a quick google turns up results showing at least one SQL injection exploit. So it's always important to check the version and simply download and ftp the newest if Fantastico is a little updated :lol:

hello
i think the good way is to download the lastest stable version of joomla, and install it at Xisto, it's more secure, then you will need to install a template with your choice and you do everything by your self...

you can see here : http://templates4all.blogspot.de/ it's provide the Joomla script and more than 200 joomla template, and im sure you will find a suitable one according to the content you want to make at your new website and goodluck ;)

I have recently installed joomla and its working fine. Its admin panel is cool.As many members have said the best way to install is to download from joomla site and upload it. Then make an sql database and install it in your site, by typing the url-path in the address bar.

Thanks guys for all those posts.

If you find it difficult or if you have any doubts ask me and I will guide you step by step.

I sure have a lot of no-brainers for you. Pliz be patient with me when I ask silly questions. I usually use Joomla on a local machine. I tried to transfer the site once and I did not like the outcome. After importing the database most links where refering to the old filepaths on the old machine. Does anyone know where there are step by step tutorials for transfering a joomla site? Please give me the links.

If you find it difficult or if you have any doubts ask me and I will guide you step by step.

I sure like this attitude, as I'm the sort of nut who has to be guided step by painful step. Just ask BuffaloHELP, jhalsip, Saint Michael, and any other in a long list of patient victims. They have long suffered my tedious technical questions. Been thinking of doing a site over-hall myself and swapping out my current "cutenews" for Joomla, cause there's nothing "cute" about cutenews. Unlike Joomla, it's terribly buggy, and there's only one site out there dedicated to it's support. Joomla, on the other hand, has tons of support and doesn't appear to be lacking for future possibilities.

Thanks guys for all those posts.

I sure have a lot of no-brainers for you. Pliz be patient with me when I ask silly questions.

I usually use Joomla on a local machine. I tried to transfer the site once and I did not like the outcome. After importing the database most links where refering to the old filepaths on the old machine. Does anyone know where there are step by step tutorials for transfering a joomla site? Please give me the links.

I have lot of patience. So don't worry. ^_^

Ok, lets come to problem. How did you transfered your joomla website from localhost to remote server? ( I mean the procedure you used ). You need to edit the configuration.php file after uploading and importing the database. That may be your problem, I think. Anyway if you want links, then here is a link Transfering Joomla site from one site to another. Try this. Or if you need more explanation ask me. :lol:

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

I have lot of patience. So don't worry.

Good news to my ears!Is it by coincidence that whenever I ask something silly you are the first one if not the only one to respond?

Thanx for the link. I'll sure try that tonight.

Is it by coincidence that whenever I ask something silly you are the first one if not the only one to respond?

Hmmm...I really don't know. May be thats your luck... :lol: just kidding.

I'll sure try that tonight.

Ok, check it and post its result tomorrow.

Man, thanx a thousand times! It worked. Now I have the liberty to design my site anywhere I want knowing that I can transfer it to where it is needed, when it is needed.That link you sent me answered some questions that I asked here but failed to get the answers. I remember asking about the "access denied" error when importing.

Wow, Congrats kudmus. :) What are your other questions? I don't remember this "access denied" question. Please post your questions. I will try to answer them as much as I can...