xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

What Are Sleeping Pills and why we should avoid an addiction

When one is too stressed or can't sleep, one of the most common solutions one turns to is sleeping pills, which promise the seduction of restful sleep. However, sleeping pills do not really deliver what they promise.

How sleeping pills work

Sleeping pills require a doctor's prescription (at least in my country, that's the case, so you can see how careful one must be when using sleeping pills). Sleeping pills suppress the potential activity of brain cells, sedating both the central nervous system and the brain, leading to a decreased heart and breathing rate. Drowsiness is induced and the user eventually falls asleep. However, it affects the user's thinking, feeling and physical movements. The user may also experience a slower reaction time and his memory and performance can be impaired. When consumed in large amounts or mixed with alcohol (think Heath Ledger), the results can be fatal.

Why are sleeping pills addictive?

The human body usually develops a tolerance that leads to a need to increase the dosage amount. This problem is often associated with long-term users of sleeping pills. Sleeping pills can cause serious withdrawal symptoms such as shakiness, panic attacks, nervousness and anxiety when stopped abruptly.

Problems with sleeping pills

Most of the sleeping pills have residual effect, with at least half the efficacy remaining in the blood during the day. Only a few brands of sleeping pills leave the blood fast enough to be almost gone in the morning. Suppressing the activity of our brain cells, sleeping pills make us sleepy, less alert and react slower by suppressing the activity of our brain cells. People usually pop one of these pills to help them sleep so that they can function better the next day. Ironically, these pills often do the exact opposite. Users tend to wake up groggy and disoriented, have impaired thinking and performance, and may even become depressed in severe cases. So if you want to score for an important presentation the next morning, avoid popping these pills even if you have difficulty sleeping the night before.

Bizarre happenings have also been reported as disastrous effects of sleeping pills. These mighty pills can make people do strange things such as sleep walking. Some may sleepwalk to the refrigerator and gorge themselves with huge amounts of food. In other tragic cases, victims intoxicated with sleeping pills were found to be sleep driving and ended up in fatal accidents.

Recognizing sleeping pill addiction

If you find yourself identifying with three or more of the following, it is highly probably that you are suffering from sleeping pills addiction and you need to seek professional help from a doctor.

1. You are suffering from depression or anxiety.

2. You need to take a sleeping pill before falling asleep.

3. You feel uneasy if you stop taking sleeping pills.

4. You continue to take sleeping pills even when you don't need them.

5. You find that you are unable to fall asleep if you don't take sleeping pills.

6. You have been increasing the dosage of sleeping pills.

Research materials:

The Dark Side of Sleeping Pills By Daniel F. Kripke

A Woman's Guide to Sleep Disorders by Meir H. Kryger

The Use and Misuse of Sleeping Pills: A Clinical Guide by Wallace B. Mendelson

Friends' experiences & general knowledge

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Like I always say... "Take Sleeping Pills as if they were Suicide Pills"Sleeping pills are deadly if misused (as you should know, many deaths of celebrities are because of sleeping pill overdose or sleeping pill mis-use)If you are on sleeping pills, never just suddenly stop... You might be able to just suddenly stop an sleep normal but that is very unlikely. Like if you take a pill every night before you go to sleep, cut the pill in half and take just half the pill every night for a week or so, and then later a quarter of a pill, at first it will be a little hard to go to sleep, but soon you should be able to cope without taking any sleeping pills at all!Remember "Take sleeping pills as if they were suicide pills" ;) good luck not taking any sleeping pills!

The irony of this, I just took a sleeping pill last night. It was the best sleep i've had.Granted, there are the negatives to it, but the negatives only come out if mis-used.I have had problems sleeping the past nights with the baby sleeping. Me and the Mrs. take turns for the night watch, if the baby cries.We don't even regularly use sleeping pills. But once in awhile, when one of us isn't "on shift", a sleeping pill can help you knock out faster when the baby is still crying while the other is on shift. Believe me, no ear plugs in the world can drown out a baby's cry.

I have been taking Ultram, which is a highly addicitve opioid, as a "sleep help" for about three or four months. I do NOT take them otherwise, unless I am in a tremendous amount of pain, and then I may take one during the day. I have been taking two every night to help me sleep.I only have eleven pills left, and I am in no financial position to be able to get any more. I am freaking over not having any more, as I have chronic Type One insomnia. I have had insomnia for well over twenty years now. What can I do to get a NORMAL "night's" sleep, on a regualr basis? I am white-knuckling it right now, thinking of not being able to get to sleep. I am known to stay awake for 30-40 hours before my body just basically shuts itself down and HAS to sleep (without meds). Otherwise, I am awake and just a zombie until then.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And I have no insurance, and can't go to my Dr. Right now. So I need something *I* alone can do. Thanks!-reply by KimmiADMIN REPLY------------------------------The Human Body is a WONDER in itself. And the HUMAN MIND has been regarded as the GREATEST FORCE n POWER. Its processing & storage & capabilities are UN-MATCHED by any scientific innovation in today's date.#1. Have faith in yourself.#2. Sleep will happen, but you sleep for resting.#3. Tell yourself, a Good Rest is better than Sleep.#4. Try DIS-LOCATING & DISCONNECTING your mind from everything that worries or bugs you. Every SINGLE thought.. even the thought of NO PILLS left. Sit on Couch and Say to yourself, For NEXT 15 min. my existence will not BOTHER me. I am NO ONE. I am ONE with all. I am at peace. peace.. peace..peace...#5. Keep your MIND very occupied and working.. Good examples, Play STRATEGY games, Do computer Work, Do all house hold work..switch of washing machines and wash them manually... turn of Dish-washer and do them by hand. #6. If evil thoughts cloud your head, Go outside ... EXHALE COMPLETELY and BREATHE in DEEP. Do A LOT of breathing exercises. Look at the trees, nature, clouds, lakes .. and see how everything exists .. as it is. Look yourself and see how your entire body takes care of itself without YOUR permission and how it has been growing all these years. Build more faith... learn, except HUMAN mind, everything else is in PERFECT EQUILIBIRIUM.

I have trouble sleeping every night!
I don't get why people always have to turn to drugs?!?!

The way i see it if you really need pills to sleep.... Check into a rehab!

few years ago, i take sleeping pills 30 mg one tablet. after drinking we will fall asleep no matter how our brain is active, it is so good!!
And I wonder how many pills to be taken to become a suicide method?
is taking sleeping pills and die, will that hurt?
and I think natural or herbal sleeping pills are good, rather than taking others

sleeping pills aren't good. they are unnatural. if you can't sleep stay awake! then you will become tired and fall asleep. that is the best way. thats what i do if i can't sleep. but if you have sleeping problems then you should see your docter and they will know what is best.

how many pills does it take to dieWhat Are Sleeping PillsHow many sleeping pills does it take to die? fall asleep and never wake up?

'natural' sleeping pills? sleeping pills in themselves are unnatural. our body is designed with circadian rhythms so we have a natural built in sleep wake cycle.sleeping pills are dangerous, pretty much if you overdose you're sent into a sort of 'induced coma' where your brain activity is depressed. if it is depressed severely enough with an overdose you pretty much stop breathing because your bodily functions controlled by parts of your brain are also beginning to shut down.They can be useful in some cases I suppose but always take them with caution!