xisto Community
krazygoddess

Gas Prices How is this impacting your family?

I work nights from 9pm to 7 am and get tired of the same shows over and over again. so one night i was watching msnbc, They predict that within two years gas prices will be 7.00 or more per gallon. This is insaane but I can see it happening. Has it effected your lifes? the rising prices? how badly? Will you give up cars and go to public transportation, or carpooling? They also said that they think that americans will find otu the true meaning of horse power and showed a picture of everyone on horses. lol Kinda funny but on a seriouse note it could happen. Would you be willing to give up your car for a horse and buggy?I know it has had a huge impact on my life I spen alot of money on gas I have 4.5 kids and live in a house hold of two familys there is 10 of us. And we go alot of places. Summer is the worst because there is alot I want to do and alot of places I want to take the kids but gas is so expensive we will probably not do half the stuff we want. I hope with the prices going up so much they consider rasing minumun wage, There are alot of people struggling to make ends meet and its hard enough working for minimum wage let alone trying to keep up with gas. I was there once for a long time, and glad to not be there now, but i am not in anyway wealthy but I think jeese if I were to for some reason loose my job I would be in alot of trouble. We dont live in a very bog town and it is pretty far with gas prices beoing how they are to get to places around here I am in Pa in the middle of the appalachin mountains The larger towns are not that close together and takes gas to get places. Any way just wanted to see how this is impacting other familes and what they are gonna do about it.

With that, every US citizen can now stop complaining.

Nah, they'll continue complaining. Why? They don't live in the U.K. And for those that do, you should expect them to be complaining more than the ones that live in the U.S. ;) Will we be seeing you guys coming on over? Gas is cheaper. ;)

Nah, they'll continue complaining. Why? They don't live in the U.K. And for those that do, you should expect them to be complaining more than the ones that live in the U.S. ;) Will we be seeing you guys coming on over? Gas is cheaper. :)

kinda the biggest overstatemen ever. ;)
prices here are crazy high it's like 4 dollors a gallon now. normally i wouldn't complain but since i've started driving i have no choice. i just hope we switch to cheaper alternative fuels and get rid of fossil fuel for good. ($4 a gallon solar cars look great no matter how ugly looking they can be :) )
Edited by etycto (see edit history)

kinda the biggest overstatemen ever. ;)

prices here are crazy high it's like 4 dollors a gallon now. normally i wouldn't complain but since i've started driving i have no choice. i just hope we switch to cheaper alternative fuels and get rid of fossil fuel for good. ($4 a gallon solar cars look great no matter how ugly looking they can be ;) )

$4 a gallon is not, by any standard "crazy high". The equivalent of $11 per gallon being charged at my nearest petrol station, that is crazy high. I really don't see what you guys in the US are complaining about: your petrol is incredibly cheap, and you certainly use enough of it, being the most polluting nation on the planet.

Yeah gas here is really cheap, but the US is definitely NOT the most polluting nation anymore, it's China. We use tons of oil and we still drive our inefficient, gas-guzzling SUVs, and most people here are super wasteful and feel entitled to the "right to be wasteful," (though this isn't always true, a lot of people here are also really environmentally friendly) but in terms of actual pollution China is way worse. 16 of the world's 20 most polluting cities are in China, in terms of CO2 emissions they have even passed the US, half of their population drinks from contaminated water, and dump millions of pounds of untreated sewage and toxic waste into their water supply every year. Their air pollution even blows over here. 15% of the air pollution in the US and Canada comes from China! I mean, the US, India, Brazil, and some other countries also produce a ton of pollution including air pollution, but at least we're doing something about it and not letting it contaminate global air. And it really isn't surprising that we burn so much gasoline and oil because, yeah, it really is cheap as compared to Europe and most of the rest of the developed world. And maybe as it gets more expensive we'll have better public transportation and drive less, and I really wish we had a public transportation system like most European nations do because it's a lot more convenient than driving. But I doubt anything is going to change while gas is "only" $4 a gallon.
As of late the only real solution to the gas "crisis" that has been touted by the wonderful United States government has been corn based ethanol, which is unfriendlier to the environment than gasoline because of the amount of water and effect on the soil and the processing effects it has, but it also is contributing to world hunger. It takes as much corn to produce enough ethanol to fill a gas tank as it does to feed a person for a year. We can even see the effects of this now, with grain prices through the roof. Before all this corn-based ethanol hoopla, the number of starving people in the world was decreasing, something like there were projected to be fewer than half a million hungry people in the world by 2020. Now the number of people going hungry is increasing, and projections adjusted for corn-based ethanol say that over a billion people will be without regular food by 2020. High gas prices are not even really a problem yet and the US government is causing people to go hungry because we're convinced that we can't live with higher gas prices.
Ultimately, there are a lot of better solutions to so called "peak oil," but we've chosen one of the worst here in the US. Maybe we should stop whining about "expensive oil" and instead look to an alternative which is cost-effective, sustainable, and better for the world's people. And there are plenty of better options available.

Ever since this whole oil crises started, I been paying attention to the news and I tell you this it took take much to make oil skyrocket. Just mention War, Iran, Middle East, Stock Pile, Oil Rig fires to the stock market and they will will that price as high as they can, and right now oil has lost a little over $9 in the last two days, but we all remember the last time that happen, oil gained $12 just like that in two days. Right now I am watching MSNBC and my prediction is coming true that its on the rise again.

http://www.treehugger.com/

With that, every US citizen can now stop complaining.

We pay 10$ a gallon so... well yes. I do not get why Americans are complaining. Have they always been used to gas prices being that low? Sure it is bad for families trying to get everything to work but, well it is just hard to understand. People used to complain a lot here. Now many have realised that it does not help, so they do not complain that much anymore. It need to be a lot higher before people stopped driving, or drove a lot less.

(http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/10/Gas_approaches_10_a_gallon_in_Oslo/UPI-73501215665829/)

Pleas read: In order to make pollution go down an "easy" sollution is to make people drive less so they use less fuel. The way they do this is of course to rise the prices. (Even though that is probably not the only reason for the ricing gas prices.) This affects those who do not have a very good economy. They can not cope with this, and the fact it that something like this will always be bad for someone. It is nothing what-so-ever you can do about that. The poorer people of our communties will always be the ones that strugles when things like this happens.

Reply to cangor's post: I can not see that the US are doing much about pollution? What are they doing? Sorry if I am wrong, but no one are really doing a lot to prevent it. in the whole world really. (So not only the US.)

That China is a more pollution country then the US (Is this true?) is no reason why you should not care. That is kind of like what kids do when they fight, and parents need to punish them somehow. "He hit me first! Why should I get punished." Because you punshed back.

Like Micey (SM) says there are also other reasons why the gas prices are ricing. Even though many oil companies finds new oil probably every single day, it will not last forever. And that is the problem; to cope without a thing we have been using and needing for a really long time.

$7 per gallon. WOW.That must be like paradise. I wish we had gas prices that low. Really now, the gas station down the road from my house is ?1.23 per litre. The current rates for dollars and pounds are 0.53 or so pound to a dollar.So in a few years when you have a terrible awful worse than anything $7 a gallon you won't even be on the same as england is on NOW. Seen as we work out at around about $13 dollars to a gallon right now. Stop whining.America is by far the richest country in the world with china coming up second and then I think russia or someone - I can't remember... Either way, America is totally the richest, THEY should be the ones that have to pay for the extrodinary gas prices! Not poor England :) We don't have a penny to our names!Also when I was up in scotland I remember there being a strike for some of the oil people or something liek that. And gas was up to 2 quid a litre. Shove that in your gallon/litre conversion and smoke it.

With these prices I changed to public transportation.I have to wake up two hours early to catch the bus. Actually, to arrive at work I have to take three buses. And again to come back i take more three buses, and arrive home at 10 o'clock. So there isn't much more time left to stay with my family, it's really frustating. But when it rains it's even worse :lol: !

Gas here has come down alot in the past few weeks finally it was a big relilef since I dont have access to public transportation. I live in a very small township in the mountains. There are some small towns around me and one that is a decent size but there is no public transportation and I spend alot traveling to and from work, and with kids I cant just drive to and from work I always seem to be running around somewhere. But not to get off topic Gas was 4.30 here and it is now down to 2.55.

When I had my old car I was paying about 4 dollars a gallon for unleaded. I recently bought a new car and only fill it with Premium gas at 2.99/Gallon. And when 30 dollars fills my tank...seems I picked the right time to buy.

Well hopefully the crises that are happening around the world the thieves in the oil industry got all the money they could out of us suckers and hopefully by the end of the year gas is under $2 and then we could start getting things back to normal. Of course, those oil thieves are trying to get those prices nice and high again either by cutting production or threatening countries by giving them no oil and stuff like that.

In Arizona here....right now, it's about $2.47/gal. It went from like $4/gal to $2.50/gal in merely about 2/3 months. It will probably go up again......maybe......