xisto Community
etycto

Best Browser To Desighn Your Site To not much of a question but more like a statement

well since i started web desighning i've always used internet explore (why?) well when i first tried FF2, i wasn't a "web-designer" then so i didn't care much about css and htlm stuff, i din't like it and one of the reason was beacause a couple of the sites i visited wasnt firefox compatible. but anyways recently i was desighning a site for this community. so like two weeks ago i downloaded FF3 for testing purposes. in IE the site looked great but what i found was that in firefox the site was horible, as bad as they could come. so since firefox was better with compatibility i decited to desighn it based on firefox standards and it looked great on both FireFox and internet explorer.despite internet explore being more popular around the regular web surfers i think if you desighn your site towards firefox's standards it would work and look great on both IE and FF.so anyways did any of you guys had the same experience before and do you agree with my logic?

Back when i first started learning HTML, the only browsers i knew of was Internet Explorer and Netscape. Netscape at that time wasn't as appealing as Internet Explorer, and turned me away from it because of that. But the web design class i took was all about Internet Explorer. One of the teachers was one that was certified by Microsoft, so that could have played a major role in what browser to design for. But even when that teacher retired and a new one came in, Internet Explorer was still dominant in the class room and there was no mention about any other browsers. It wasn't until after a couple of years later that i learned about other browsers. Memory here is a bit faint, but Opera pulled me in. For my websites i choose to design for Opera, because i feel less limited in Opera. Thanks to tests like the acid test, i can verify whether a display error is because of my code or the browser. It took Firefox 3 just to implement CSS features that Opera, when only Firefox 2 was out, already had. Opera also supports more HTML 5, from what i've seen, than Firefox. No need to include Internet Explorer in what kind of CSS features it supports, as it should be obvious. ;) But even though Firefox 3 improved a lot in CSS support, it still doesn't render everything like one would expect it to. But there's one minor bug that was introduced in Opera 9.5 that deals with outlines (or borders) where it overlaps elements and makes things look ugly, where in Firefox it looks fine, and wasn't fixed with Opera 9.51. But in many cases, if not most, building for Opera will in turn make it look the same in Firefox.

The best browser to begin web designing is Firefox.I my practice, I begin my HTML & CSS coding for my new designs for Firefox, then once the coding is done I'll make some changes to the code, usually CSS to fix the things in IE 7. I then refer how the page looks in IE 7, Firefox 2, Firefox 3 and Safari. As for IE 6 I usually add a seperate CSS file that contains all the IE 6 specific CSS hacks and fixes for the bugs and include this CSS stylesheet with conditional comments.Opera is also a great browser, but it is really pain when your web applications become more dependent on Javascript.

to be honest, it's best to make a website which works for all browsers, or at least the top 3 most popular browsers. I personally design my websites for Firefox as I know the majority of my visitors will be using firefox. But you should aim for designing a website which works for internet explorer and firefox. If it works for those two browsers majority of your codes will look perfectly fine in any other browsers. The simple coding will work across browsers but more complex coding such as javascript and a few css attributes will look different depending on browsers, so keep that in mind.

safary is the best for css I guess, firefox and opera is doing good also.. but I don't like FF3 did not incorporated some things available even in IE..in IE lot of things look or must be written different compared to other browsers.. but I will never neglect IE users;

Edited by Sica-GURU (see edit history)

If you want to tailor your site for multi-platforming, let me just mention:NEVER EVER use .png formatted images!!!!Internet Explorer fails dramatically, both at rendering them, and at displaying them in conjunction with jpgs and other types.It also, for some unknown reason, likes to ignore transparencies, displaying the whole thing as white instead of the supposed transparent bkg...

If you want to tailor your site for multi-platforming, let me just mention:
NEVER EVER use .png formatted images!!!!

Internet Explorer fails dramatically, both at rendering them, and at displaying them in conjunction with jpgs and other types.

It also, for some unknown reason, likes to ignore transparencies, displaying the whole thing as white instead of the supposed transparent bkg...

Only in IE6... IE7 renders them properly, as far as I know.

i think firefox 3 is better to design websites, because in my opinion that one is a little more restrained as, what align codes etc work.. but yea i find it odd when you design beautiful websites in firefox and when you turn on the internet explorer, the same website looks like complete crap, and everything is not aligned/off

To be honest it don't really matter what browser your using because its all about clean code and if have valid code it shouldn't matter how your website looks. Of course now that HTML 5 is coming out or rather the rough draft of the coding it should be interesting how every starts adapting to html 5. I recommend boning up on what HTML 5 and find out what to expect in the next couple of years.

https://w3c.github.io/html/

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_5

For now coding in firefox is the best way to go although I feel otherwise as I mentioned earlier; however, once IE8 comes out I bet it won't matter which browser you will code in. Since they are working on web standards finally and with word of Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 showing good promise for its August release, I believe, the browser wars will become a bit more interesting.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

The 3 web browsers you should always test your site in (in my opinion) is Firefox, IE 7 and Netscape.But to make your site browser-compliant is not easy. Some codes do not work the same in others.Example, iframe does not work in Netscape browsers.I guess it all boils down to what browser the majority your audience is using.

It's vital to test your web pages in multiple browsers, so you should really get several of them. W3schools has a chart of the percentage of users using different browsers. IE is by far the most common. I recommend getting Firefox though as your main test browser, since most pages that render in Firefox will work in IE. Also, Firefox has a slew of web building tools to help you out. I use FireBug to debug my Javascripts, and I've found the IE tab ad-on to be enormously helpful. With this ad-on, you don't need IE; you can open a page in an IE tab right there in Firefox. It's quite convienent.You should still expect to test pages in multiple browsers though, if you want optimal results. Even web standards don't guarantee that your pages will look the way you want them to in all browsers; they just ensure it will be as close as possible.

you cantt really just tailor your site for one particular browser. it should be compatible with all common browsers. make sure you are not using any elements which are incompatible with lots of browsers. And make sure you set all images sizes, even if the image is the right size, otherwise if it displayed incorrectly, it makes you site look bad.You should probably test your site in these browsers:Internet explorer 5, 6 and 7firefoxoperasafarinetscapeATLEAST!If you have problems with any particular browser(s)You could create multiple versions compatible with different browsers, then use javascript to detect the browser, and redirect the viewer to the right site, or hide elements that look bad.

Edited by minimcmonkey (see edit history)

you cantt really just tailor your site for one particular browser. it should be compatible with all common browsers. make sure you are not using any elements which are incompatible with lots of browsers. And make sure you set all images sizes, even if the image is the right size, otherwise if it displayed incorrectly, it makes you site look bad.
You should probably test your site in these browsers:
Internet explorer 5, 6 and 7
firefox
opera
safari
ATLEAST!

If you have problems with any particular browser(s)
You could create multiple versions compatible with different browsers, then use javascript to detect the browser, and redirect the viewer to the right site, or hide elements that look bad.

You can tailor a site to all browsers by using workarounds. The javascript method works but IMO, it is not the best solution overall :)

I think firefox is the best browser to design a website to because it is being used by a lot of people.

Want to know what is ALOT? 85% of current users is still IE. Firefox users is picking up really slow since after the resource hog issues, many changed to Opera.