xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serendib

Spyware Spyware problem

for clickspring go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and click uninstall and that other place that u had i cnat get on their website well anyway heres a little trick i use i find out what the spyware or adware is then search it on the internet and go to their website and find a link to unistall it its usually in privacy policy or it has its own page

Serindb,You didn't state in your post that the "spyware" keeps coming back after removal- but if it is you need to do the following: If using XP & ME- turn off the "system restore" BEFORE doing any removal. Use "safe mode" when possible to run the anti-bug software. Also sounds like you might have some type of hidden trojan hijacking your computer & causing you bandwidth to be eaten up & getting bills from your ISP. In my experience, AdAware & spybot have limited ability to get rid of some trojans & hijackers. You might try "AVAST" and or "A2" to find hidden hijackers that AVG & the others miss entirely.Hope this Helps,RGPHNX

I highly recommend Microsoft's new AntiSpyware program because it has spyware on-dectect protection, so it prevents spyware too!

i think all spyware removal softwares help to a certain degree but it doesnt always help because it will just continue to flow in and spyware also advances ppl make new ones up so they keep updating but it doesnt always follow the spyware... i dont know but i used to be obssesed in removing them now i just dont care... unless its like a major one, no point in stopping them...

The Microsoft Spyware thingy already has a security leak which gives hackers comlpete access to your computer. Typical. It's not even a real production Beta yet! This is why I don't use Outlook. Too bad XP is really the only way to go for people who are NOT complete nerds... Otherwise I would have switched a long time ago...

i find that adaware, spybot, and all the other spyware detectors can't get rid of many of the spywares out there. i got a hijack once that did soemthing to my desktops. basically turned on the active desktop and i couldn't run my computer no more. it basically put ads on my desktop and i couldnt use IE anymore. i had to goto safe mode to get rid of the thign, then it came back...in the end i formatted and reinstalled.

There are a couple of things you need to do, apart from the options that you received from other users here on using the different cleaners to remove the recurring adware / spyware.

The most important is to have an up to date virus scanner. Then as a added precaution download NAI Stinger Stinger for windows and for those who use MAC computers can go here and read up before downloading http://www.mac-net.com/183869.page

If you have a problem accessing the different antivirus companies websites or accessing Microsoft update you may have a Trojan that changed your "HOSTS" file and pointed all those websites to localhost 127.0.0.1. In this case you should go to another computer and download stinger and put it on a floppy or a CD before you start with anything else.

Now your computer should be clean of virus and Trojan's and ready to disinfect for spyware / adware. A couple of important steps if you are using XP home or pro is to turn off system restore and make sure all browsers are turned off.

Install and run AdAwareSE make sure you update the "Definition" Files before you scan the computer Download AdAwareSE here. While scanning don't go online. When done scanning select all the entries and remove them. It's OK to do as long as you don't delete the quarantine file you can restore anything that you would like to keep ;) . If you get the message to scan on next restart (bot), accept and restart the computer. This will only happen if there are processes running that AdAware can't stop. A running process can not be cleaned. When AdAware comes up clean you are ready for step 2:

Download (Unless you already have) Spybot S&D from one of the sites that have the latest version.Download Spybot S&D Ater the install create the registry backup, download the definition files and Spybot S&D will restart before it scans the computer due to a major upgrade. This will brind you back up to the scan page, what happened was that the immunizing are not finalized so you have to immunize manually. Scan the computer, again do not browse the internet while scanning. When done remove all entries in the list, if you get the message again that Spybot S&D need to run on next bot, check OK and restart the computer. Spybot S&D comes up clean and you are ready for step 3:

Here you are going to need help from experts that know what is OK and what can safely be removed from the startup list. There are multiple utilities here Merijn.org and you can start with the CWShredder and install and run that to make sure you don't have any of the CoolWWWsearch exploits that was not removed by the other utilities.

There are a lot of other utilities on this site that are useful if you know what you are looking for. If you would like to try them but need some help let me know here or on Xisto.com and I'll be more than willing to share.

The next utility to use are "HiJackThis" and it will give you several options and unless you know what you are doing "DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING" util you have posted your list on one of the forums that analyse the log files for you. This is the forum I use for my log files that I need help with: SWI Forums and there are a whole list or different support forums here Links to different help forums. so you can get help wit the different utilities.

Read the instructions before you go posting your log file and be pationt while waiting for answer. All the forums are staffed with volunteer helpers and moderators just like Xisto and Xisto. If 24 hours go by and you have not seen an answer bump your post and ask if it was missed. :P Someone will get back to you.

Ohhh, just a little tip... Don't start the post with "HELP" in the subject line... 99% of initial posts are people asking for help. Use something descriptive, "Removed adware and 2 websites still hijacking browser" This will let them know that you have tried on your own first. Then in your post let them know what utilities you have used and what the outcome was. Put the specification of you computer, OS, RAM, CPU celeron, P4 AMD etc. what patches you have, if you have sp2 for xp. What browser are you using, version and service pack, if you are on dialup or have DSL, Cable modem. This will get you help a lot faster, there is nothing worse than trying to help someone who you have to drag every little piece of information out of. I know I skip a lot of posts with little or no information except for the big initial "HELP" because that just shows the ignorance of the person asking.

When someone answers you he/she will tell you what steps to take next.

Hope this will help someone get rid of some pests :D :D

The Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 are nothing but the "old" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/default.aspx so until Microsoft put their programmer on it it should be a good alternate option to download and try on XP and w2k computers. I'm using it on a couple of test computers and there is no difference yet from the original (except for icons and splash screens) Try it befor M$ ruins it.

ils