xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
samspeer

Halo's Heritage (The game designers were Sci-Fi fans)

I recently noticed that there is a thread about the Halo books. Perhaps you find these books interesting to read-- that they add a fun element to the game. But if you really like the game, then I submit to you that there are better books to read.

You see, the game designers of Halo were sci-fi fans. The original Halo (and its offspring) was quite obviously based off of two sci-fi classics. These books are Ringworld, by Larry Niven, and Starship Troopers, by Robert A. Heinlein.

Ringworld won the 1970 Hugo, Nebula, and Locus awards. Larry Niven imagined a ring-shaped world that was the size of Earth's orbit, as a solution to population overcrowding.

Starship Troopers is a little bit older. With its first printing back in '59, Troopers is more of a narrative exploring true nationalism, inner workings of governments, and how society evolves. All the while, the story is going on. If you have seen the awful 1997 movie, read the book, you'll feel better. If you haven't, read it anyway; it exhibits a certain thread of exploring your true self.

I watched the movie Starship Troopers. It was an amazing movie! Very fun to watch! If you haven't watched it you should get it now!I don't think it was awful. I thought it was great!

Edited by AbdurahmanL (see edit history)