xisto Community
vizskywalker

Vesa Programming In Assembler

I started working in assembler about a year ago. Several months ago I attempted to use SVGA graphics mode. However, when I use the VESA standards I run into a problem where the refresh rate that the program sets with a mode is outside the operating parameters of the monitor. Does anyone know of any sites that explain how to solve this problem, or can anyone explain it themself? Thanks.

I haven't programmed for VESA in years,but I think you can still manually change therefresh rate. Could you tell what environmentyou're using?

Yeah, thanks, it's windows (xp and 98), pentium 1 through 4, and VESA 1.0 to 3.0. I'm trying to use gtf timings to generate the pixel clock I need, but they don't make the fomula public, and I know it's been done, so i was wondering if anyone here might know them or an alternate method. Thank you so much.

Sorry for the long time...
I was busy with some other stuff.

Ah pixel clock...
there are a bunch of more methods, see
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yes, you are right, they didn't release it out.
But, there is a way, Xfree86:
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/manuals/redhat/index.html
goto section 6.3 - yes hack xfree86 source

That's okay, but it appears as if the pixel clock method not specific to Xfree86 doesn't have a way to take a refresh rate and get a pixel clock yet, and the Xfree86 page is specific to Xfree86, and I'm working on Windows XP. If you know of any other sites that can help generate the pixel clock or have methods for a CRT Controller I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I don't know that much asm :Dbest of luck though, and if you thinkof starting to hack XFree86 code, contactthe Delphi&Asm forum when you haveproblems.