xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Another Cust. Service Rant... This Time As A Customer

On monday I experienced something that I haven't in a long time. Good customer service. I work in the line of customer service, and I have come to the conclusion, there are different levels you can provide. True customer service is hardly ever given anymore. For example, I ordered from McDonalds recently and I ordered a McFlurry and a Sundae. I was given a McFlurry and a Shake. It was at the start of a minor busy period (3 or 4 people were behind me waiting to order), so I waited until the others were served, and I said to the lady that served me in a polite tone, "I Ordered a sundae, not a shake, sorry." She replaced it without fuss, even offered me a large one instead of the small one I ordered and payed for, however she did not apologise. The first thing I would have done was ok, Sorry. I'll get that for you. To me it says that she didn't admit she was wrong, or that she made a mistake. That is whats wrong these days, its all about speed, accuracy, and making money, there's no "Love". I want the love, The love is the kind smile, the little chat. The service I got from the place I got my Mac Ugraded, The day I dropped it in they were down in staff, had plenty of work, and still gave the kind, friendly "Extra" step. That's what I call the "Love" the kind of people who enjoy what they do. I guess that's what it comes down to enjoyment. If you don't enjoy what you do, you won't go that extra mile. Is it a job, career, or more than that?With the major chains, Alot of places (the major chains and such) seem to believe that accuracy and speed is customer service. It is to an extent, but it won't make someone feel good about the service, its enough for them to not complain. Real service is going out of your way when you don't have to. Taking that extra step, not just selling them something they don't want. I work in customer service, and having a chat, which is one of the extra steps you can take, is not approved of...

Um I disagree with your rent! You are expecting too much! She gave you a larger sundae at the cost of the small one you ordered and at no fuss. Can't you see that she is using her actions to apologize to you? Perhaps she was unsettled by her mistake and forgot to apologize about it, but at least she made up for it. I believe she offered to upsize the sundae for free because she felt bad about wasting your time. So that already shows that she is apologetic, isn't it? Yes it would be perfect if she said 'sorry' because that's what everyone should do when they are in the wrong, but I've met imbeciles who only apologize profusely but won't do anything to help you solve the mess they themselves put you in. I suppose you experience very good customer service at the place you come from. Maybe that's why you are so critical. If this happened to me where I come from, the person will probably insist 'But you ordered the shake!' or give me the blank look and go 'What?!' or slam a new sundae down on the counter, or say 'sorry but I already keyed it into the register so I can't change it for you'. I wonder what you'd do in my position. lol

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Yeah I have to agree that the upgrade in size is the apology right there and that you were being a bit picky on that. Which reminds me of a Burger King run I made, I had order a #1 and instead of getting a medium size drink I got a large, and I let them know about it and they said keep it. Although, they could have fixed it and stuff like that I got a large drink at a medium price and so you should be picky on the apologies and to be quite hones the words "I am sorry let me fix that" is quite whored to begin with. You should be lucky that the woman didn't charge you for the large instead or the fact the woman could have gotten fired if the manager was paying attention. So yeah your rant is a bit moronic in my opinion and that you should deal with it and move on.

Why do you guys eat at Burger King and McDonalds? I eat there like once a year, and probably just an ice cream. ;)I suppose (many) people that work at such places have been to courses where they learn how to a behave and how to react and handle in different situations. At my local store they have been to a "smiling class." It is hilarious and freaky at the same time. Anyway; People that work there should/probably have learned things like this. If she was not allowed to give you a big Sundae for the price for a small one, then I do not think that she would have done it. Who would risk their job just to satisfy a customer? Giving customers upgrades if the staff screw things up is not unusual, and I do not look at that as an apology!Sure she might have been a bit stressed. But it really does not take a lot to say "I am sorry", or send a little smile your way. Fixing the problem is the minimum they can do but apologize is even better. Customer care is not only about giving the customers what they need, but it is about making the customers feeling welcomed and comfortable. I hate stores where those evil store women never smile, talk a few words or anything at all. I would not care if they had given me an upgrade, if they did not sincerely apologize I would never go back. I do not agree with bishoujo or Saint_Michael. It is just bad customer service. Not horrible, but it can easily be better. The main task people that work in shops, bars, caf?s etc; Sell things and make the customers happy and comfortable. I mean is it too much to ask that they say sorry, or smile or at least not look so dam bored/mad/sad/annoyed?

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

Thank you bluebear, I'm glad that someone sees it the way I do, Maybe its because I had extremely good experiences just before, maybe its because I'm in customer service, I really can't explain it. All I was looking for was a sorry, just one word. I turned down the upgrade, but I was courteous to wait until there was no line, surely she could have at least said one word, sorry. If I was really uptight or angry about it I would have spoken to a manager or something more. I have had a number of things happen to me, things people have said to, sorry I mean at me. Demanded either compensation or an apology or both. I didn't demand anything I just patiently waited and said politely, "Excuse me I ordered a shake, sorry." I said it why couldn't she?I have better things to do than complain about one experience, and it hasn't soured me. I'm not a huge fan of mass produced fast food.P.S Forgive my late reply, I haven't had a chance to look back at this thread in a while.

Though I think replacing with an upgrade is good enough in terms of customer service, I understand what saitunes is saying about customer service... I mean, when customer support fixes a problem I have I'm like "okay, that's good enough," but it really makes you feel good about the company and their services if they put in the extra effort to be kind and personal about it... I'd be happy with the upgrade but when someone is actually like, "wow we're really sorry for the mistake!!! let me fix that!" it makes me feel a lot better then when they don't even acknowledge the mistake and take the stance of "okay, whatever, what can I give you to get you to stop complaining?"

Woah Woah!Dont you think thats a good thing, i mean, surely they were appologising by just fixing the problem, and giving you someting ebetr thn what you wanted. if they had gone to the manager, you could have ended up in a long argument about whos fault it was, and left with exactly what you ordered, having got the person who served you fired.Is that what you want?I think it is beter than an appology, that they sorted the problem out and gave you a larger size, with no fuss.the larger size sounds exactly like admiting a mistake, and appologising.Which would you prefer, a muttered sorry, or having the problem recognised, and fixed, plus a larger size, as an appology?