xisto Community
gameratheart

What Would Life Be Like Without Game Consoles/handhelds? We always ask this question about computers, so why not Games?

Living without Game Consoles and Handhelds...  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We always ask what life would be like without computers, but did we ever stop to think what our life would be like if the other stuff we took for granted wasn't here anymore? There are practically thousands of things that our life might feel empty without, so maybe we should start asking this question for those things too?

I know there are a lot of Gamers out there, some of which couldn't last a minute if they didn't have their PS3 or XBox 360 or whatever console they have within standing distance of them. And I know there are many of you who are not so hardcore gamers, but still find some enjoyment taking an hour of your life to play some game on your favourite console/handheld. So here's my question: What if there were no Game Consoles, Handhelds, or any kind of Electronic Game? Would it make an impact on your life? If so, how much of an impact?

I added the poll above to help get a general view of the community as a whole, but I ask that you post here as well as voting, so you can properly express your view. But whatever you do, I only hope that this question gets some of you thinking.

Edit: Clarified Topic, reworded one of the Poll Answers to be a little less extreme.

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

I used to play games a whole lot... but I don't play them so much anymore... If they didn't exist, I wouldn't really be too concerned about it, as I'm spending most of my free time listening to music not playing games.Unfortunately, there are many people out there who could not live without game consoles, etc. Honestly, this is some what disturbing. I mean, when your life's goal is to play video games all day... come on people.

Well, I get obbsessed easily, i havnt been on the forums because ive become addicted to age of mythology... ...againSo i would last very long i think!

We can not miss something that do not exist. If we never got to enjoy the pleasure of having it we can not know what it feels like when you are not able to do that. For example I have heard about blind people that do not miss or wish they were able to see - because they have never done that. BUT if they lost there vision in some accident and can remember how it felt like, many/most of them would like to have that back.I would not care if we for some reason lost all those things tomorrow. The only problem would be that my brother and his buddies would have nothing to do.So...- If we had it and lost it, we would probably miss it.- If we have never had it, we would not miss it. (That is of course obvious.)

I wouldnt last a day with out my PSP. I mean it can play music,download videos,play games (obviously) AND go on the internet! Can't you see?! My PsP is like my backup Pc! Of course,it cant stream videos or play MMORPG[Or w/e it is] but hey its a console!

You know, I find this thread very intriguing. Are you asking whether in this day in age, people can live without these things, or are you asking specifically about avid gamers?

I have lived a sad life, with no game consoles ever. And I can attest to you that they aren't everything. In fact, they aren't anything. You cannot accomplish any good with them. Your fellow human beings are never bettered by their use. I'll concede that it's fun-- I've used them, for goodness sake! -- but never essential, and never worth wasting away a lifetime on.

If we have been called here to this Earth, whatever your belief, have we no better work to do than to build each other up and make everybody's life better, rather than just our own?

Console havent given anything back to our worldwide community except obesity and money chewing. They cost a fortune and are simply not worth it. Obesity is always backtracked to games and consoles etc because people just can't resist finishing the entire game in one day. I mean sure if you play maybe once a week or less than 30 minutes every so and so day that would be fine, but they are being mis-used and over-used, there is simply no need. Its just the same way dvd's and home movies wrecked people going out to the cinemas, as in people have these fancy game consoles at home instead of going to the old fashioned arcade where things are more active and outside of the home.Computers on the other hand have given stack back to the community, it would be an endless list of the positives toward computers (consoles are even computers aswell).I personally bought a console, but the game prices are just so ridiculous they send you out of pocket when you buy one game so i sold it and bought a bike and started riding and doing jumps and getting more and more fit. This is my personal opinion and i am not implying anything toward any hardcore gamer out there that loves gaming, as that is what they like to do ;)

Edited by litchy (see edit history)

Someone made a good point up there.I think it was "How would we miss it if we didn't know it exists?"or something like that.Well for me, I personally don't think I'd miss game consoles.I mean they are fun and enjoyable but I think I could find something else to do.I'm not really into game consoles and handhelds right now.I find it more useful to use a computer for gaming,since we already use computers on a daily basis. (at least I do)

I still play PC games only. I'm not having sour grapes, but I think too much finger work on your consoles can hurt your finger joints and muscles (Ok pc games are not much better but the effect with handheld consoles is more pronounced)! Don't forget to exercise and massage them after playing and don't spend TOO much time playing or you won't get to play your games when you get old!

Video games are a form of entertainment that all it is and to be quite honest I think if they did away with video games people would be a lot healthier as they won't be stuck inside all day playing games to the wee hours of the morning. Besides there are other forms of entertainment for people to enjoy, but the world has become dependent on this technology and so most people aree getting fatter and lazier then they were 30 years ago. Don't get me wrong I love video games but I could be better off without them sometimes besides there are no good games anymore and I don't have the time like I used to have to play them either.

well game consoles.. wouldnt make a big deal really, i mean its just addicting games, people would have had invented other things to keep themselves entertained.. but the handhelds are the big one, i asume you mean cellphones, pdas etc right? haha i cant see how life would be without a cellphone.. well actuly i can, lots of payphones, and people jamming them to use them..yea.. not a pretty picture ;)