xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
reezer

Linux Games Any linux gamers out there?

Hi,

are there any linux players out there?
I know there are a lot of unique linux games out there, but they are too much to try them all (and my drive space is very limited).

I'm currently trying auteria, a nice mmorpg, also available for windows. I like it because it's not as stupid (personal opinion), as most otherf MMORPG in which everything I do is killing monsters to get better weapons and higher levels to kill more monsters. Of course you can do the same in Auteria, if you want... but besides that it's really nice and you can do a lot of other things.

I also like battle for wesnoth and sometimes play a FPS like ET or Nexuiz.
Oh and I forgot Puzzle Pirates and Poker. I play Poker from time to time, but I don't play too much... Either because I have better things to do or because I get bored very fast.

Do you play on Linux?
What do you play?
Why do you like it?

and what's unique about your game?

Oh and if you don't know it...
you can find a lot of Linux games here:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I love linux but I run windows do to the fact that not all of the games I love can be played in linux. :P

Do you play on Linux?
Yes I do
What do you play?
http://www.armagetronad.org/
Why do you like it?
If you get a bunch of your friends together (in hitting distance) this game can become violent because u can realy make it so your frineds cant win at all.
and what's unique about your game?
You can play it on both windows an linux!

i think you should try asking linux forums or google itbut i think you should try playing win. games through wine

i think you should try asking linux forums or google itbut i think you should try playing win. games through wine

One of the paid version of Wine, called CrossOver Games, may help. Its usage and compatibility of Win games are easier and better than Wine.
Edited by alexthemans (see edit history)

I'm a linux fan too but I'm not very impressed with the range of games offered on Linux. They're good but not enough to quench my thirst for quality gaming ;) that's why I use Windows along with Linux in order to play the latest games.But I also use Wine with Linux and it runs some of my favourite games such as Unreal Tournament without any bother. So the experience isn't all that bad under Linux. It just needs to improve, that's all.

I'm a linux fan too but I'm not very impressed with the range of games offered on Linux. They're good but not enough to quench my thirst for quality gaming ;) that's why I use Windows along with Linux in order to play the latest games.
But I also use Wine with Linux and it runs some of my favourite games such as Unreal Tournament without any bother. So the experience isn't all that bad under Linux. It just needs to improve, that's all.

Right, Wine (and its offsprings) has done a good job to emulate Win32 APIs, including the "close-standard" DirectX APIs. In addition, it will be great if display chip vendor put more efforts on the Linux driver of their products. :P

Some of these sites like linuxgames, happy penguin are worth to hang arround with. I've created few small games using java and they work on both linux and games. But nothing much into it as i created them to test 2D game engines. Still if anyone is looking for games then cross platform language like java, c++ has some game engine sites, where most of the developers release their games which work with windows and linux(if explicitly released version for it). else you've to go for the crossover and wine.

I have no idea if the games with heavy graphics work well under crossover,wine. anyone tried games like crisis, sof, IGI ? ;)

As I said in another thread, I've only used the Linux Live Gamers DVD to try out any games in Linux and the compilation is really amazing. Agreed that there is still a long way to go, but we're definitely going somewhere in the gaming field too!