xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jasper

Dreamweaver Cs3: How To Link Content To Layers/apdivs

Hi all!

I've been searching the internet like crazy but just can't find any answers to my problem.

I want to make it so that my navigation buttons links content to be loaded inside a smaller layer/apDiv or perhaps something i've yet to discover.

I just can't for my life understand how to do this nor what tools and options to use.

I am using Dreamweaver CS3 in design mode and have no clue how to hard code in html, CSS etc..

Here's a picture of what i want to do.

I really hope someone can help me or perhaps atleast point me in the right direction. :D

Posted Image

Best wishes and have a nice day ahead!

Err, i don't know if Dreamweaver is capable of creating AJAX scripts on the fly for you, but what you want is AJAX, unless you don't mine using iframes. Dreamweaver should be able to do iframes and making the links to load in that iframe. If you want to go the complex route, go with AJAX. If you want the more simpler route, go with iframes.

ok, i decided to skip that idea and make the navigation links to load a new page instead.My new problem is:How do you make text effects to get triggered by page load. (when you press "about" ie. the new page loads and i want the the text effect "grow" to start when the new page loads)i tried the typing the "onLoad" string under the tag, but Dreamweaver doesn't recognize that command.Any ideas?

I haven't used Dreamweaver in years, so i'm not sure if you're using a JavaScript script that Dreamweaver makes for you or a JavaScript framework/library. That and i prefer to do things manually—which is sometimes the only way to fix or do something you want done when working with WYSIWYG editors.

Framesets are often a bad idea - as they are not compatable with a fair few browsers. You would probably be better off making several pages, with the same navigation bar at the top - this is the easiest way in dreamweaver. otherwise an AJAX script is the other option.

dreamweaver

Dreamweaver Cs3: How To Link Content To Layers/apdivs

Replying to Jasper

Your best bet is to create a dreamweaver template, then apply that design to the rest of your pages. You can make the text in the centre and the title above an editable region, so everything else on the page stays the same when you load a new page apart from the title and text content.

Theres some good tutorials on the adobe web site, this is a link to the creat a template vid.

https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html?id=vid0162

Hope that helps

-reply by Matt

iFrames and google search boxesDreamweaver Cs3: How To Link Content To Layers/apdivs

Hi there! I'm designing a site using iFrames in dreamweaver. I have set up the template with a google site search that appears in the same place on every page. What I want to be able to do is have the results of the site search load into the iFrame so they are on the same page instead of a new browser window. Is this possible?

-question by Yaisha Souter

Yup its possible with frames, just give your frame a name

<frame scr="home.Html" name="homer"> ----> this is my new frame named homer we are going to link the external html page(example: about.Html ) here.

<a href="about.Html" target="main"> About the site </a>---> the target attribute specifies where about.Html will go, which in this case will go to our homer frame.

there I hoped it helped!!

BY THE WAY CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT TOO, I'm TRYING TO LINK EXTERNAL HTML PAGES INTO A DIV LAYER BUT I CANT USE SERVER SIDE SCRIPTS LIKE PHP BECAUSE I'm DOING AN OFFLINE REFERENCE GUIDE, I COULD USE JAVASCRIPT AND HTML ... PLS HELP!

-reply by angel