xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Cds In Itunes On Mac (os X Tiger)

Hi,I am a mac user and I am perplexed something I have noticed time and time again, when playing from a CD as opposed to MP3 Files in iTunes. I haven't really noticed it with any other apps, mainly because I use iTunes to rip and play music, but as I have imported most of my music I really don't use CDs as much when listening to music on my macbook. I either use another really good player called COG to either play CD or files, but never the same file both times. I only noticed this the other because I had just burned a CD and checked it and it was louder.Any ideas? explanations?Thanks[hr=noshade] [/hr]I just tried playing 3 files (same song) one on a CD I burned, one from the iTunes folder, the original I downloaded, through COG my little freeware unknown player, and guess what... they're all the same level (or less than 1dB different).... its the EXACT same file, downloaded, copied into iTunes then burned from iTunes.I'm going to guess from my brilliant deduction skills that itunes is whats making the CD louder...Anyone willing to offer an explanation/opinion on why they would do this?(P.S Don't worry about getting too technical for me I'm a sound tech with a good knowledge of digital audio)

Doesn't iTunes try to "normalize" the files at some point? I know i've seen iTunes do that, but i can't remember for what. The next time you import or burn a CD, check out the process.Funny, though, i've always had to raise the volume on the iTunes equalizer because the music was too low for me.